Visit site
✟8,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question for old earth creationists. This isn't meant to be hostile, Im just confused. What do you say to the young earth creationists that add up all the ages of people in the bible up to jesus and get 6000 years (including the 2000 years from christ to now)? Is the bible wrong?

Bornagain15

Waiting for His coming
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
✟3,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
flameingcrouton said:
I have a question for old earth creationists. This isn't meant to be hostile, Im just confused. What do you say to the young earth creationists that add up all the ages of people in the bible up to jesus and get 6000 years (including the 2000 years from christ to now)? Is the bible wrong?

The Bible never tells us how old the earth is. The OEC's accept that the age of the earth is 4.6 billion years old and accept the evolutionary order, but not evolution. They believe that the animals were instantly created by God (which seems to fit quite well with the fossil record).

Upvote 0

flameingcrouton

Jun 25, 2005
Ft. Richardson
Visit site
✟8,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That doen't really answer my question. I realize the bible doesn't tell us the age of the earth, but if you add up the ages of people in the bible from adam to christ, and you add 2000 years from christ to now you get about 6000 years. It's simple math. What is you're response to this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
flameingcrouton said:
How can you not take that leteraly

Do you believe that bats are birds?

Insects have 4 legs?

That the earth is a circle?

If not, then there are sections of the Bible that you do not take literally.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
flameingcrouton said:
That doen't really answer my question. I realize the bible doesn't tell us the age of the earth, but if you add up the ages of people in the bible from adam to christ, and you add 2000 years from christ to now you get about 6000 years. It's simple math. What is you're response to this?

at best they get you to the garden of eden.
(making some unwarranted assumptions)
what is the time difference between Gen1:1-Gen2:3 and Gen 2:4on?

the adam in Gen 1:26,27 is generic, the Adam in Gen2-5 is a specific man, they are not the same person.

so. how do you know how much time pasted from the creation of the heavens and the earth and the garden of Eden?

Upvote 0

flameingcrouton

Jun 25, 2005
Ft. Richardson
Visit site
✟8,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Praxiteles said:
Do you believe that bats are birds?

Insects have 4 legs?

That the earth is a circle?

If not, then there are sections of the Bible that you do not take literally.

you are getting off subject and you didtn answer the question. Illuminatus said that the number 930 in genisis 5:5 is not to be taken litteraly

Upvote 0
flameingcrouton said:
you are getting off subject and you didtn answer the question. Illuminatus said that the number 930 in genisis 5:5 is not to be taken litteraly

Merely pointing out that what could be taken literally in the Bible is a matter of personal preference. I am most certainly not getting off the subject, since I am demonstrating that you do not take all that is in the Bible as literal.

By what criterion do you decide what is to be taken literally and what is not? Any measure of literality (is that even a word?) is subjective, and not objective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
flameingcrouton said:

You've misinterpreted my statement. If a literal interpretation of the Bible produces facts that cannot match observed reality (viz., the age of the Earth), then it is plain that the Bible should not be interpreted literally.

Upvote 0

Matthew777

Faith is the evidence of things unseen
Feb 8, 2005
Spokane, WA
✟6,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

flameingcrouton

Jun 25, 2005
Ft. Richardson
Visit site
✟8,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
rmwilliamsll said:
at best they get you to the garden of eden.
(making some unwarranted assumptions)
what is the time difference between Gen1:1-Gen2:3 and Gen 2:4on?

the adam in Gen 1:26,27 is generic, the Adam in Gen2-5 is a specific man, they are not the same person.

so. how do you know how much time pasted from the creation of the heavens and the earth and the garden of Eden?

genisis 2:3 and 2:4 were put in the bible in sequencial order put did not happen in that order. the time between genisis one one and two three is 7 days

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
flameingcrouton said:
genisis 2:3 and 2:4 were put in the bible in sequencial order put did not happen in that order. the time between genisis one one and two three is 7 days

but that is an assumption without proof in the text.
how do you know that the Garden of Eden occurred on the 6th day? or a week later? or 100 years later? or 14.5 billion years later?

it doesn't say, nor does it hint at an answer.
just because everyone has read Gen 1 then Gen 2 as continuous in time, doesn't make it so.

Upvote 0