Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You really posted that "ordinances" are "laws" with your definition. This is exactly what we've always said. Now how can that be false? Doesn't the verse also blotting them out? Remember these ordinances were written with the finger of God.

The COL 2 CONTEXT is the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT from the civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical laws or decrees from the GREEK word dogma δόγμα; dogma dog'-mah referring to the SHADOW laws in ordinances for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation. [/QUOTE]

Your confused between the SHADOW laws written in the book of the law of Moses and God's ETERNAL laws (10 Commandments)

There is two sets of laws that make up the OLD COVENANT.

1. God's LAW (10 Commandments) and
2. The MOSAIC SHADOW laws that point to Christ and God's plan of salvation. (scripture support in the OP already provided)

The verse in question doesn't specify part of them.Why do you want to say the ordinances against us are ceremonial? Please explain how ceremony (celebration) is against us.

You did not read the OP did you? The Chapter and within scripture CONTEXT is from the ceremonial laws of CIRCUMCISION and the annual jewish festivals. The GREEK word v14 Ordinance use is dogma δόγμα; dogma dog'-mah meaning ecclesiastical, ceremonial and civil laws. These are referring to the BOOK of the law for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation.

Read the OP I do not think you have read it have you?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing you have posted supports anything you have said as was shown earlier it is the within chapter and scripture CONTEXT that determines the meaning of the scripture.
I forgot to post this Scripture.
1 Chr 16:17 And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,
The word translated law, is the same word translated ordinance.
If you are not singling out the word ordinance, why did you highlight it in red?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I forgot to post this Scripture.
1 Chr 16:17 And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,
The word translated law, is the same word translated ordinance.
If you are not singling out the word ordinance, why did you highlight it in red?

Once again that has nothing to do with the GREEK translation of Ordinance in the CONTEXT of COL 2 which is dogma = civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical laws or decrees from the GREEK word dogma δόγμα; referring to the SHADOW laws in ordinances for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The COL 2 CONTEXT is the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT from the civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical laws or decrees from the GREEK word dogma δόγμα; dogma dog'-mah referring to the SHADOW laws in ordinances for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation.
Just because you say this is true and then you quote a bunch of verses that have the word Ordinance in it establishes nothing.
civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical laws or decrees
Would not "laws or decrees" refer to the 10 commandments?
The 10 Commandments were perfect, as in the highest standard to aspire to.
Have you ever heard the expression, "perfection is my enemy"?
This is why the 10 Commandments were against us, because nobody could keep them.
And if you think different, can you show me one person in the OT that kept the 10 Commandments?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just because you say this is true and then you quote a bunch of verses that have the word Ordinance in it establishes nothing.

Of course it does I have established CONTEXT and have shown there is two sets of laws that make up the OLD Covenant with God's WORD. You have not established CONTEXT or can you deny there are two sets of laws that make up the OLD COVENANT.

Would not "laws or decrees" refer to the 10 commandments?

As discussed earlier it depends on the CONTEXT so to how the word is being used. The CONTEXT of COL 2 is SHADOW laws v11 starting with CIRCUMCISION pointing to CIRCUMCISION of the heart then leading to the GREEK of v14 which says;..

COL. 2:14 and EPH 2. 15 What is the meaning of the handwriting of “ORDINANCES” that was blotted out and nailed to the cross?

GREEK meaning; blotting out (G1813; ἐξαλείφω; exaleiphō; ex-al-i'-fo; means to obliterate; erase; wipe away) the handwriting of ordinances which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way nailing it to the cross. The Greek words used here is handwriting G5498 χειρόγραφον; cheirographon; which means; hand written legal document which is combined with ordinance G1378 δόγμα dogma dog'-mah From the base of G1380; which means; civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical law: - decree; The Greek meaning of handwriting of ordinances in V14 is a hand written legal document or book of civil, ceremonial and ecclesiastical laws. These are the laws referred to in verse 14 that have been erased and are nailed to the cross.

The handwriting of ORDINANCES {Mosaic laws for meat and drink offerings and annual festivals that have their fulfilment in Jesus} has been blotted out. They were the shadows. They were all prophetic in nature, teaching the plan of salvation which pointing to Jesus as the true lamb of God and our great high priest and His Work on our behalf in the Heavenly Sanctuary. (Leviticus 1; 3-12; 14-17; 22-23; Number 6-8; 15; 28-29; Deut 12; 33; Ex 25:8; John 1:29; 36; Rev 5:6; 1Cor 5:6-7; Heb 8:2-13; 9:1-28)
This is why the 10 Commandments were against us, because nobody could keep them.
And if you think different, can you show me one person in the OT that kept the 10 Commandments?

God's 10 Commandments were never against us SIN was against us. God's LAW is the KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is (ROMANS 3:20). This is why God's LAW is Holy, Just and Good (Romans 7:12).

GENESIS 26:5 [5], Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As discussed earlier it depends on the CONTEXT so to how the word is being used.
This is where we disagree. You did not establish context, you just quoted a bunch of verses.
Let's look at the context.
2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

How did He forgive us all our trespasses. He blotted out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us.
This can't be the Levitical laws, as they were there so we could have a way to approach God.
These laws were for us, not against us.
Circumcision was not against us. In fact the Jews were proud of there circumcision and wanted to keep doing it.
I am not saying circumcision was not a shadow law, but it was not the law being referred to in this verse.
But, the 10 Commandments were a ministry of condemnation.
They pointed out our sin.
For by the law is the knowledge of sin.

LoveGodsWord said
The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA mean ing THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant

The Hebrew word for ordinances is H2706
King James Bible Strongs Numbers

Notice all the various times it is used. It is even used of the everlasting covenant.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is where we disagree. You did not establish context, you just quoted a bunch of verses.
Let's look at the context.
2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

We do indeed disagree. You have not established context at all. Saying I have not established CONTEXT when I you have been shown through God's WORD that the CONTEXT of the chapter is the SHADOW laws from the MOSAIC Book of the COVENANT, and not the 10 Commandments is not being honest.

Let's look at the context again, maybe you missed it...

KEY SCRIPTURE COL 2:11-17

COLOSIANS 2
[11], In whom also you are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:[12], Buried with him in baptism, in which also you are risen with him through the faith of the working of God, who has raised him from the dead. [13], And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he made alive together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; [14],Blotting out the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; [15], And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. [16], Let no man therefore judge you in food, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: [17], Which are a SHADOW of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

LINKING THE OLD WITH THE NEW

V11. SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing to CIRCUMCISION of the HEART MADE WITHOUT HANDS by the CIRCUMCISION of Christ.

FORTOLD IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES….

DEUTERONOMY 30 [6] And the LORD your God will CIRCUMCISE YOUR HEART AND THE HEART OF YOUR DECENDENCE, TO LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND WITHYOU’RE YOUR SOUL, THAT YOU MAY LIVE.

JEREMIAH 4 [4] CIRCUMCISE YOURSELF TO THE LORD, AND TAKE AWAY THE FORESKINS OF YOUR HEART, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

DEUTERONOMY 10 [16] CIRCUMCISE therefore THE FORESKIN OF YOUR HEART, and be no more stiff-necked.

For example the CONTEXT of COL 2 is the NEW COVENANT FULFILLMENT of the SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing the CIRCUMCISION of the HEART through faith in Christ…

ROMANS 2 [25] For circumcision verily profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26], Therefore if the uncircumcision keeps the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27], And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfils the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision do transgress the law? [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW, WHO IS ONE; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OF THE OUTWARD FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; AND CIRCUMCISION IS THAT OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE LETTER; WHOSE PRAISE IS NOT OF MEN BUT OF GOD.

1 CORITHIANS 7 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

This is the operation of GOD in the NEW COVENANT…

HEBREWS 8 [10], For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

CONCLUSION
; The CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION is a Shadow law from the MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT pointing to a NEW HEART to LOVE and OBEY GOD in the NEW COVENANT. The SHADOW laws of the OLD COVENANT that are REPLACED CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES of CIRCUMCISION from the Mosaic BOOK of the Covenant are the within CHAPTER CONTEXT BEFORE COL 2:14

We have looked at v11-17 for CONTEXT in general. Now let's look at the GREEK of v14 in detail..

COLOSIANS 2 [14], Blotting out the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

GREEK WORD MEANINGS AND WORD USE

v14
, “BLOTTING OUT” < G1813 ἐξαλείφωexaleipho (ex-a-lei'-fō) v. means to rub out, i.e. obliterate, erase>the “HANDWRITING” < G5498 χειρόγραφονcheirographon (chei-ro'-gra-fon) n. means something hand-written (“chirograph”), a manuscript specially, a legal document > of “ORDINANCES” < G1378 δόγμα dogma (d̮og'-ma) n. means ordinance; CIVIL, CEREMONIAL or ECCLIESIASTICAL laws >that was against us, WHICH WERE AGAINST , and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The GREEK WORD meanings here in this scripture show that it follows the same CONTEXT of v11-13 is in relation to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.

V14 Blotting out or erasing the legal MANUSCRIPT or document of ORDINANCES referred to here are those of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT. The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA mean ing THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant

What is being REPLACED in the NEW COVANANT is the CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL laws and ORDINANCES

This scripture cannot be referring to the abolishing of the 10 commandments of God’s LAW as God’s 10 Commandments are not CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL laws written in a manuscript and the CONTEXT is the CEREMONIAL Shadow laws of CIRCUMCISION, and the Jewish ANNUAL feast days and annual sabbaths of LEV 23 and NEW MOONS.

God's LAW is not written in a MANUSCRIPT they are written on two tables of stone (Exodus 31:18). The chapter CONTEXT is in reference to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES of CIRCUMCISION once again from the MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT. These were all SHADOWS and ORDINANCES OF the Mosaic BOOK of the Covenant v17 pointing to Christ and the plan of SALVATION.

ORDINANCES that were against us is referring also to the PENALTY of SIN (breaking God’s Commandments and the ORDINANCES of curses written once again in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant.

DEUT 31 [26] TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the side of the ark of the COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there FOR A WITNESS AGAINST THEE.

DEUT 29 [21] And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, ACCORDING TO ALL THE CURSES OF THE COVENANT that are WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW.

(See the list of ORDINACES for curses of breaking Gods’ Law in DEUTERONOMY 28:15-68)

CONCLUSION; COL 2:14 is talking about the CIVIL CEREMONIAL AND ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES written in the MOSIAC BOOK of the Covenant which are SHADOW laws pointing to Jesus and God’s plan of SALVATION. This is supported also by the within CHAPTER CONTEXT and SUBJECT matter of v16 which are all CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES written in the MOCAIC BOOK of the COVENANT and not referring to ABOLISHING God’s 10 Commandments.
LoveGodsWord said
The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA mean ing THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant

The Hebrew word for ordinances is H2706
King James Bible Strongs Numbers

Notice all the various times it is used. It is even used of the everlasting covenant.

We are discussing the GREEK word for ORDINANCE of COL 2 which has the CONTEXT of the MOSIAC SHADOW laws of the BOOK of the COVENANT. The CONTEXT determines the meaning on how the GREEK or HEBREW Word meanings are applied in the individual scripture they are used in. Therefore the Chapter and within scripture CONTEXT is important to application and meaning.

Hope this helps... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
V14 Blotting out or erasing the legal MANUSCRIPT or document of ORDINANCES referred to here are those of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT. The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA mean ing THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant

What do you mean with this statement?
Are you saying that the word "ordinance" can only refer to the Mosaic laws?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean with this statement?
Are you saying that the word "ordinance" can only refer to the Mosaic laws?

Hi Doug,

The paragraph is the GREEK WORD definitions of COL 2:14 (see paragraph above). As mentioned a little earlier the word dictionary meanings depend on the context of the chapter and scripture use.

So in this use we are dealing with the Greek words use of the context is the shadow laws which are the ecclesiastical, ceremonial and civil laws written in a book context is circumcision and the levitical (Lev 23) annual feast days from the Mosaic book of the law.

See also, COL 2:16 reference to Ezek chapters 45-46. For example...

COLOSSIANS 2:16 [16], 16, Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

links to...

EZEKIEL 45 [17] And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and MEAT offerings, and DRINK offerings, in the FEASTS, and in the NEW MOONS, and in the SABBATHS, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Here’s a scripture, same exact order as Col 2{16}, meat, drink, holy days (feast days), new moons, Sabbath(s). No doubt what so ever these 2 scriptures are speaking of the same thing. See how that on those days there was a sin offering made. The blood of Christ is now that offering. Col.2 and Ezekiel 45 are simply speaking of the meat and drink offerings which were written in the Mosaic law contained within the ordinances which were to take place on Gods annual festivals, new moons and His annual ceremonial Sabbath days and Holy convocations (Leviticus 23).

HEBREWS 13 [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be ESTABLISHED WITH GRACE; NOT WITH MEATS, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. [10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For THE BODIES OF THOSE BEASTS, WHOSE BLOOD is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. [12] WHEREFORE JESUS ALSO, THAT HE MIGHT SANCTIFY THE PEOPLE WITH HIS OWN BLOOD, suffered without the gate.

But now we are no longer under the Mosaic laws concerning the meat and drink offerings of Gods holy days, new moons and annual festival sabbaths and holy convocations. Jesus fulfilled the law. We are now under grace.

JOHN 6 [53] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. [54] Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. [55] For MY FLESH IS MEAT INDEED, and MY BLOOD IS DRINK INDEED.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well reasoned and thought out.
The problem is it does not take into account the doctrine Paul was countering.
Judaizers were coming in and telling them they needed to keep the law of Moses and be circumcised.
That is all of the Sabbath laws, circumcision, the dietary requirements, and the 10 Commandments.
These people were not trying to get them to keep the sacrifices. This is the same thing that happened in Galatia.
The Colossians and Galatians had been taught by Paul, they would not have been duped into sacrificing animals.
But they were duped into keeping these laws to be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sure take any route you want. Where does it say in God's WORD that God's 4th Commandment is a Shadow law?

There were Shadow sabbaths however attached to the annual jewish festivals of the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT. These could fall on any day of the week. These are not God's 4th Commandment of the ten commandments.
Tell us what Jesus was doing offering Himself as the sabbath rest the Jews could not enter.

bugkiller

Last edited:
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well reasoned and thought out.
The problem is it does not take into account the doctrine Paul was countering.
Judaizers were coming in and telling them they needed to keep the law of Moses and be circumcised.
That is all of the Sabbath laws, circumcision, the dietary requirements, and the 10 Commandments.
These people were not trying to get them to keep the sacrifices. This is the same thing that happened in Galatia.
The Colossians and Galatians had been taught by Paul, they would not have been duped into sacrificing animals.
But they were duped into keeping these laws to be saved.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post and comments. Are you referring to ACTS 15?

I see this as a good example of what we are talking about now in COL 2 as the reference to ACTS 15 is not the 10 Commandments. ACTS 15 is in reference once again to the laws of MOSES as discussed here in COL 2:11-14 which are the SHADOW laws of the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.

The reference to ACTS 15 is once again the laws of Moses and the CEREMONIAL laws of CIRCUMCISION.

The issue here was that the Jewish believers were teaching the new Gentile believers that they could not be saved unless they were CIRCUMCISED according to the LAW OF MOSES.

Now we have just seen this is similar in topic to COL 2 and the SHADOW laws from the Mosaic BOOK of the law (not 10 Commandments). For example in ACTS 15 we read...

ACTS 15:1-2 [1], And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brothers, and said, EXCEPT YOU BE CIRCUMCISED AFTER THE MANNER OF MOSES, YOU CANNOT BE SAVED. [2], When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders about this question.

We already established that CIRCUMCISION was a SHADOW law from the laws of Moses through the scriptures...

COL 2:11. SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing to CIRCUMCISION of the HEART MADE WITHOUT HANDS by the CIRCUMCISION of Christ.

CIRCUMCISION as FORTOLD IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES….

DEUTERONOMY 30 [6] And the LORD your God will CIRCUMCISE YOUR HEART AND THE HEART OF YOUR DECENDENCE, TO LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND WITHYOU’RE YOUR SOUL, THAT YOU MAY LIVE.

JEREMIAH 4 [4] CIRCUMCISE YOURSELF TO THE LORD, AND TAKE AWAY THE FORESKINS OF YOUR HEART, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

DEUTERONOMY 10 [16] CIRCUMCISE therefore THE FORESKIN OF YOUR HEART, and be no more stiff-necked.

For example the CONTEXT of COL 2 is the NEW COVENANT FULFILLMENT of the SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing the CIRCUMCISION of the HEART through faith in Christ…

ROMANS 2 [25] For circumcision verily profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26], Therefore if the uncircumcision keeps the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27], And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfils the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision do transgress the law? [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW, WHO IS ONE; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OF THE OUTWARD FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; AND CIRCUMCISION IS THAT OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE LETTER; WHOSE PRAISE IS NOT OF MEN BUT OF GOD.

1 CORITHIANS 7 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

This is the operation of GOD in the NEW COVENANT…

The whole issue in relation to ACTS 15 is also the SHADOW laws of MOSES not God's 10 Commandments.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nothing you have posted supports anything you have said as was shown earlier it is the within chapter and scripture CONTEXT that determines the meaning of the scripture. You also ignore that the discussion point is in COL 2 and the GREEK reference to COL 2 CONTEXT is the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT from the civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical laws or decrees from the GREEK word dogma δόγμα; dogma dog'-mah referring to the SHADOW laws in ordinances for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation. You mix up your shadows with that which is ETERNAL.
The chapter clearly lists the ceremonial days one of which you claim we're to keep. Why aren't we to keep the others? Any remembrance is a ceremony.

bugkiller

• Agree
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi Doug,

The paragraph is the GREEK WORD definitions of COL 2:14 (see paragraph above). As mentioned a little earlier the word dictionary meanings depend on the context of the chapter and scripture use.

So in this use we are dealing with the Greek words use of the context is the shadow laws which are the ecclesiastical, ceremonial and civil laws written in a book context is circumcision and the levitical (Lev 23) annual feast days from the Mosaic book of the law.

See also, COL 2:16 reference to Ezek chapters 45-46. For example...

COLOSSIANS 2:16 [16], 16, Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

links to...
directly to Ex 20:8-10.

bugkiller

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post and comments. Are you referring to ACTS 15?

I see this as a good example of what we are talking about now in COL 2 as the reference to ACTS 15 is not the 10 Commandments. ACTS 15 is in reference once again to the laws of MOSES as discussed here in COL 2:11-14 which are the SHADOW laws of the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.
Nothing but allowing divorce is from Moses in the Book of the Covenant. Everything else s from God the Father. The 10 Cs are called the law and the covenant.

bugkiller

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The chapter clearly lists the ceremonial days one of which you claim we're to keep. Why aren't we to keep the others? Any remembrance is a ceremony.bugkiller

Not at all. The OP is on the SHADOW laws of the OLD COVENANT which point to the NEW. Did you know there were special sabbaths in the annual Jewish festivals that could fall on any day of the week that are not God's 4th Commandment? There were SHADOW laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.

You refuse to discuss the word "new."

Not at all. We are discussing it now. Is there anything in particular that you wish to discuss?

directly to Ex 20:8-10.

Absolutley, this is part of God's ETERNAL LAW, spoken and written by God himself on two tables of stone and not the SHADOW laws of MOSES written and spoken by MOSES in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT. The SHADOW sabbath from jewish annual festivals of LEV 23 pointing to God's plan of salvation are fulfilled in the NEW COVENANT.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Your confused between the SHADOW laws written in the book of the law of Moses and God's ETERNAL laws (10 Commandments)

There is two sets of laws that make up the OLD COVENANT.

1. God's LAW (10 Commandments) and
2. The MOSAIC SHADOW laws that point to Christ and God's plan of salvation. (scripture support in the OP already provided)

You did not read the OP did you? The Chapter and within scripture CONTEXT is from the ceremonial laws of CIRCUMCISION and the annual jewish festivals. The GREEK word v14 Ordinance use is dogma δόγμα; dogma dog'-mah meaning ecclesiastical, ceremonial and civil laws. These are referring to the BOOK of the law for remission of sin which pointed to Christ and God's plan of slavation.

Read the OP I do not think you have read it have you?
Jesus offered Himself as the rest of God in Mat 11:28-30 which the sabbath keeping Jews did not have.

bugkiller

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0