Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I've been married before, and I'm married now.

First marriage was a trainwreck, to put it in nice terms. We'll call the ex, "James".

Second marriage was...lacking. We'll call the ex "Benjamin."

Onto the third! Third time is a charm right? :thumbsup: This is my husband, who we can call, "Robert."

Whelp, there's a few details. The first marriage left me with a son I was raising on my own. First husband became increasingly threatening and hasn't seen my son since May 4th, 2009 (he was born 2/14/08...). :confused:
The second marriage, I met my best-friend, who was NOT my husband, but instead my father-in-law who began helping me raise my (then) 1.5 year old (who is now 5 1/4.)

My second husband, Benjamin, began seeking other women, prior to anything happening with Robert. I ended up diseased, to put it nicely, which thank GOD cleared, but Robert wasn't impressed with his son's behavior and he and I spent a lot of time hiking, fishing, swimming, talking, just being friends.

Things progressed and Robert left his abusive spouse, much like my first husband, James, and Benjamin and Robert had a huge wedge between them.

Whelp--now Robert and I have been married for 7.5 months, together (in a relationship) for over three years, and he's completely taken my son as his own. The wedge between his son (at least Benjamin, my ex husband) has healed a lot, especially since Benjamin had twin boys almost two years ago with a phenomenal girlfriend who is an excellent mom...

I try to be the best friend I can to Benjamin, and his younger brother "Patrick", but often it's obvious the pain still runs deep. Patrick seems to resent his father for divorcing his mother, though in truth she was the one who filed and was emotionally, occasionally physically, abusive.

So, in short, my current husband was married to a narcissist psychopath to some degree, as was I in my first marriage. The second marriage just failed ultimately, but led to my best-friend in the entire world, though he's 29 years older than I am, forgot to mention that...:idea:

It's hard for family functions. It's like walking around with the red "A" at times, though I am an ordained minister, as is my husband, Robert, and I am actually officiating my first marriage next month. Things are just difficult between family and I'm lacking knowing what to do.

*Sigh* I used to haunt CF a lot, then life happened, now my son is 5 and going into kindergarten and has the best dad in the world...help?

WatchmansMoon

Jul 2, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's a lot to take in, and I can understand why it's awkward for you at family gatherings. Have you tried having honest and open conversations with family members, one on one? This may give them a chance to air their concerns with you and Robert together, if they have them, and then you can respond as openly as you can. This is your son's extended family, and you don't want distance and division between members, for his sake especially. More misunderstandings and judgments occur when there's a failure to just be honest and open. Hugs and blessings to you!

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We've had some talks. Robert and Benjamin a lot more frequently, though less this past summer as they were living with Ben's grandma, who is the ex wife's mom...things were stressed during that time. Now she bought them a house and there's a huge housewarming party with a LOT of people invited...as well as annual festivities coming up like Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Ben's GF's brother adamantly judges us and hates us both, Robert and I, as if we scorned him personally...what on earth is up with that??

Her mom is not liking that I am dubbed Grandma (name) to the twins.

I need to go, 5 year olds call...

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little unclear. Your second husband was your first husband's father? I hope you have repented of that. That's a type of fornication. You may not marry (or have sexual relations with) your father-in-law. God drove Gentiles out of the land of Canaan for such sin. I can understand why all the relatives on your ex-husband's side would be upset about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a little unclear. Your second husband was your first husband's father? I hope you have repented of that. That's a type of fornication. You may not marry (or have sexual relations with) your father-in-law. God drove Gentiles out of the land of Canaan for such sin. I can understand why all the relatives on your ex-husband's side would be upset about that.

It makes sense.

Upvote 0