Okay, Jesus died for our sins. What does that even mean?

123Michelle

Aug 31, 2019
Virginia
✟16,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello!

So, ever since I was little I can remember hearing the phrase "Jesus died for your sin." I know the story of Jesus, and have heard it my entire life, but when I really started to think about the idea of him dying for my sin, I couldn't wrap my head around it. I find the idea to be very complex and the logic surrounding it to be warped in many descriptions, but maybe I'm just missing something.

I guess I want to hear the way you would explain this phenomenon to someone who struggles with it. Yes, Jesus died so my sins could be forgiven, but how did that transaction work?

I feel like if I am missing out on this portion of the biblical story, I can't claim to have a very good relationship with God, or a very thorough one at least.

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus took it upon Himself to suffer what we deserved, the righteous for the unrighteous. Having done that, His Father forgives EVERYTHING, and Jesus bears away, not just sins, but Sin itself, so far away that it is seen no more. He also makes ALL THINGS new, humans, the earth, the cosmos, and wipes away all tears from our eyes. He does it all for the Glory of His Father.

More than that...I can't get my around it, either, but I believe it.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When Jesus was on the cross all of our sins were piled on him. In that instant he was separated from God. He became the sacrifice as the sacrifices in the old testament prior to the new covenant. What a horrible thing. Someone else will know the exact verses, I am certain.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello!

So, ever since I was little I can remember hearing the phrase "Jesus died for your sin." I know the story of Jesus, and have heard it my entire life, but when I really started to think about the idea of him dying for my sin, I couldn't wrap my head around it. I find the idea to be very complex and the logic surrounding it to be warped in many descriptions, but maybe I'm just missing something.

I guess I want to hear the way you would explain this phenomenon to someone who struggles with it. Yes, Jesus died so my sins could be forgiven, but how did that transaction work?

I feel like if I am missing out on this portion of the biblical story, I can't claim to have a very good relationship with God, or a very thorough one at least.

Two important portions, he did not sin, he resurrected his dead body from being fully dead. I would interpret that to mean that his body has known fully dead and fully regenerated, also it knew sin affliction but did not commit sin. So his body is Holy and Healing. This is why we eat the bread and wine of communion, so that we can receive a portion of that Holy and unique body.

It's also important to note that His body is perfect and Holy (it never fell in the fall of Adam and Eve) and given by Holy Spirit into the womb of the virgin Mary.

Upvote 0

Ghostjunkie

Sep 17, 2019
Tennessee
✟16,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Forgiveness wasn't as easily obtained in the old testament. The new covenant with Christ allowed forgiveness to be easily obtained--relatively speaking. And to the point that devin was making, Christ conquered death so that we may conquer death. Without Christ there is no resurrection at judgment day. There is no heaven on Earth. There is no immortality. He died to conquer death.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF. :)

It might be worth pointing out that what many people teach about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins (which He did) is reduced to a rather simple transaction. This is not how the early Christians viewed it.

He DID die as a perfect sacrifice. And part of the reason was to effect our reconciliation with God. (And not just humanity but all of creation, in fact.)

But He accomplished quite a bit. It wasn't just a "get out of hell" ticket we "purchase" by believing.

Remember humanity was created to be the priest over creation, to live a perfect life in communion with God, not to die. Sin "broke" all of that, and death came to mankind, and all of creation was cursed. Death reigned. Corruption touched everything. Jesus came and died - God Himself Who is the very SOURCE of life, entered death when His human body died - and death could not contain Him. It was defeated. The way was opened for Christ, the perfect Man, the High Priest over all, to act in reconciling all of creation to God.

History in this age will continue for a time. But the end is already written. When the end of this age comes, the defeat over death which Christ accomplished will become a completed fact, and death will be no more.

Not only that, but so much more. We are given power through the Holy Spirit to become adopted by God and have His likeness in which we were created restored ever more in us - in other words we can (and should) become more and more like Christ.

And so much more. But those points were more important to the early Christians. They never had the idea that God was UNABLE to forgive and NEEDED to "vent some rage on somebody" in order to be able to "save" us. So if the lens you are given focuses too hard on those points, everything can start to seem distorted.

I know some folks will disagree. I don't wish to argue. And can't get online much so might miss responding. But just something to think about and look into a bit more, if it helps you.

God be with you.

Hello!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello!

well ... it's not just about His death ... it's about His life.

God sent Jesus, His Son, to live the perfect life we could not and die the death our sins deserve because He loves us. When we accept Jesus’ sacrifice, we accept His gift of eternal life and receive it through Him.

In Christ’s life of perfect obedience to God’s will, His suffering, death, and resurrection, God provided the only means of atonement (at-one-ment - to be at one with God in perfection - same in perfect loving character) for human sin, so that those who by faith accept this atonement may have eternal life, and the whole creation may better understand the infinite and holy love of the Creator. This perfect atonement vindicates the righteousness of God’s law and the graciousness of His loving character; for it both condemns our sin and provides for our forgiveness.

The death of Christ is substitutionary and expiatory (repairs), reconciling and transforming. The bodily resurrection of Christ proclaims God’s triumph over the forces of evil, and for those who accept the atonement assures their final victory over sin and death. It declares the Lordship of Jesus Christ, before whom every knee in heaven and on earth will bow. (Gen. 3:15; Ps. 22:1; Isa. 53; John 3:16; 14:30; Rom. 1:4; 3:25; 4:25; 8:3, 4; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4, 20-22; 2 Cor. 5:14, 15, 19-21; Phil. 2:6-11; Col. 2:15; 1 Peter 2:21, 22; 1 John 2:2; 4:10.)

Jesus was/is perfect in every way.

Thank you Jesus for loving us so much. Amen.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I guess the answer is we don't truly know exactly how that transaction worked. My understanding though, is that Christ acted as a champion for us in a battle which we couldn't ever have won on our own. The enemy in this battle was death, and it's weapon was our own sin. Christ defeated death by voluntarily dying even though He hadn't earned it through sinning.

Here's a metaphor that maybe will work, maybe not. Say you are imprisoned in a cage, and each bar on the cage represents a crime you committed to be put in that prison. The only escape is to not have had any crimes, so there wouldn't be any bars keeping you there - or for someone else who is not caged to come and unlock yours. The problem is, every single other person also has their own bars keeping them caged - not a single person is free to let anyone else out. Then, someone is delivered into the prison, but there is no cage around them, no bars to keep them locked in. They can move about freely and open all the other cages. The cages are death, the bars are sin, the ones locked in are all of humanity, and the one who is free to move about is Christ.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not only that, but so much more. We are given power through the Holy Spirit to become adopted by God and have His likeness in which we were created restored ever more in us - in other words we can (and should) become more and more like Christ.

And so much more. But those points were more important to the early Christians. They never had the idea that God was UNABLE to forgive and NEEDED to "vent some rage on somebody" in order to be able to "save" us. So if the lens you are given focuses too hard on those points, everything can start to seem distorted.
There is a form of the Gospel, being presented by some, that God is of a character who took out his rage upon the Christ, a rage that was meant for us. But this is controverted by Christ's own words about who crucified him.

Mark 12
A certain man planted a vineyard, and set an hedge about it, and digged a place for the winefat, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country.

2 And at the season he sent to the husbandmen a servant, that he might receive from the husbandmen of the fruit of the vineyard.

3 And they caught him, and beat him, and sent him away empty.

4 And again he sent unto them another servant; and at him they cast stones, and wounded him in the head, and sent him away shamefully handled.

5 And again he sent another; and him they killed, and many others; beating some, and killing some.

6 Having yet therefore one son, his well beloved, he sent him also last unto them, saying, They will reverence my son.

7 But those husbandmen said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and the inheritance shall be ours.'

8 And they took him, and killed him, and cast him out of the vineyard.

9 What shall therefore the lord of the vineyard do? he will come and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others.

10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ghostjunkie

Sep 17, 2019
Tennessee
✟16,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
In times when I do not understand the machinations of the Maker, I have learned to humble myself to a simple truth. All the hows and whats and the why-fors can be interesting to think about, but there is really only one thing you need to know--and it isn't John 3:16. It is 1 Corinthians 16:14 and pretty much all of 1 Corinthians 13 to answer any questions the first verse brings up. Do those (which essentially put you in the good as far as what Jesus preached) and you don't really need to ask any big questions. Just submit to the Master, and realize its all above your paygrade. Just do as you are told :)

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God created us to be eternal beings – we were designed to live forever. However, that status is only granted to those who are righteous – without sin. God allowed Adam and Eve the freedom to decide for themselves if they wanted to obey God completely or instead follow their own desires – they chose to follow their own desires. As a result, their eternal life status was removed and they were appointed to die. Because they chose to disobey God and go their own way they were no longer righteous. As a result, all humans that followed were appointed to die as well.

Precisely why God allowed his creation to take this path is unclear. It seems there is great value in finding your own way rather than God simply creating you as a perfect being. Once sin was introduced into the world, God established a system for humans to be forgiven of their sin. This system included blood sacrifices to God. The shed blood of a goat, lamb, or calf was considered by God to be payment for sin. In the eyes of God, within the spiritual realm in which He lives, a sin against God creates a debt that needs to be paid. Within the spiritual realm of God, the blood of an animal is sufficient payment to return a sinner to a state of righteousness; however, that righteousness only lasts until the next sin. God’s spiritual realm is to remain undefiled by sin, and each time it is damaged it needs to be repaired. This is a mystery beyond which we can fully understand.

The grand lesson learned from hundreds of years of sin followed by blood sacrifice, followed by more sin and more blood sacrifice, is the simple fact that humans separated from God will never achieve permanent righteousness. There will always be more sin and the need for another blood sacrifice to return order to God’s spiritual realm. In order to end this vicious cycle, God sent His Son to earth to become the ultimate blood sacrifice once and for all. Therefore, by placing your faith and trust in Jesus Christ your sins can be forgiven now and forever and your inheritance of eternal life is restored to God’s original intention.

Obviously, this was God’s plan all along, but this long journey from Adam and Even to Jesus Christ was needed to completely prepare humans for their eternal existence in the spiritual realm of God. The grand lesson is that our eternal existence is a result of total dependency on God rather than our own selfish desires. We achieve this goal by following the teachings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, who died on the cross to erase our sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Ghostjunkie
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello!

When talking about the "mechanics" of the Atonement in Christian theology we usually refer to what are known as Atonement Theories or Theories of the Atonement. Throughout the history of Christianity there have been several of these put forward, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive to one another.

Historically we can identify several of these:

Recapitulation Theory - This is usually ascribed to the second century theologian St. Irenaeus of Lyons, especially in his work "Against Heresies" in which he argues using some of the language St. Paul used in his letters concerning Jesus being a kind of new Adam. That is, where Adam fell, and through his fall and disobedience brought sin and death to the world, Christ undoes this. Christ undoes Adam's disobedient work by His obedient work. And so this: Christ was born, like all men; Christ lived, like all men, and Christ died, like all men; and so God the Son became fully human and shared in all the weakness and pain of all humanity. Christ's death was His sharing in our death, however Christ destroys the power of death by rising again. Where Adam was disobedient and died, and all men therefore suffer under sin and death; Christ was obedient and suffered death, but rose from the dead in victory over it, and in Him there is victory over death. Having shared in Adam, we now share in Christ; having once been dead in Adam, we have new life in Christ. Where we were held in bondage to both sin and death in Adam, we now have freedom and the hope of eternal life and the hope of resurrection in Christ. We were human like Adam, but now we are human like Christ. There is forgiveness, life, and resurrection because Christ has defeated sin, death, and hell in Himself, and now shares Himself with us. His victory is our victory, His life is our life.

Ransom Theory - Another view which was common in the early Church looks to the language of ransom, as used in Scripture. It looks to where we read in Scripture that human beings have been sold under to the slavery of death, and that it is the devil who wields the power of death over and against us. That is, because we have been held captive to death, we are held captive by the devil. Thus here Christ is the ransom payment, for the devil beholds in Christ a great prize, the very Son of God Himself, and so Christ's death delivers to the devil Christ Himself, and so Christ is a ransom payment on our behalf. Christ the ransom is the payment by which we are released from the grasp of the devil. Like the king handing over the prince as a payment to release hostages. However, the devil is unexpecting that this is, in fact, his very downfall. For Christ is Christ, and so when the devil gets his prize, the Captive becomes the Captor, and the devil is overthrown, and by His resurrection has set to ruin the devil, defeated death, and destroyed the power of hell. And now it is Satan who is bound, captive, crushed and defeated beneath Christ's heel. And all who were once held in captivity to sin, death, hell, and the devil have been released, freed, brought into the freedom and light of Jesus Christ.

Satisfaction Theory (Anselm) - In the 11th century the Western philsopher and theologian St. Anselm of Canterbury put forward a writing known as "Cur Deus Homo", that is, "Why God Became Human". In it Anselm argues that God is the Lord against whom man's sin has betrayed and offended God's honor. Here it is helpful to understand that this was written during the Feudal Era of Western Europe, and so appropriates the notion that a lord is owed honor by his subjects. Here, man having betrayed God's honor has found himself unable to make reparations, for God who is infinite is infinitely owed honor, and no sinful man is thereby able to satisfy the honor-debt owed to God. However, out of kindness God the Son becomes man in order that He, by becoming a human being, may satisfy the honor-debt on our behalf. As God He is able to satisfy, as man He is able to do this as a man on our behalf. And therefore, says Anselm, that it is only One who is at once both God and man who can satisfy the debt incurred by human sin. And so Christ, on our behalf, satisfies the honor-debt by being perfectly obedient, even to the point of death on the cross. And we, now in Him, can enjoy the benefit of His Satisfaction which He did for us.

Satisfaction Theory (Aquinas) - In the 13th century theologian St. Thomas Aquinas took the ideas of Anselm, but modified them. Rather than it being an honor-debt that man owed, it was rather God's Justice that has been infringed upon. And so man, having betrayed and infringed upon God's justice has incurred a debt against God's Justice. And like in Anselm's theory it is impossible for a sinful man to satisfy Justice, it is necessary for one who is perfectly Just to satisfy Justice; thus only Christ can satisfy God's Justice by being the perfectly Just One. And so by Christ's just and righteous obedience, even in death, satisfies all Justice on behalf of fallen ans sinful man, in order to reconcile sinful man to God.

Moral Influence Theory - Against Anselm's views, the 11th century philosopher Peter Abelard put forward an alternative hypothesis: Namely, that Christ's death was the ultimate expression of God's love, the demonstration of God's love which could influence the hearts of men to change them. And thus establishing a principle and example to follow, men could turn toward God following the example, and being changed by the influence and example of Christ's sacrificial offering of Himself in love.

Penal Substitution Theory - In the 16th century the Protestant Reformer John Calvin built upon the ideas of Anselm and Aquinas, which had become the dominant, official view of the Western (Catholic) Church. However Calvin argued further, that Christ did not simply satisfy God's Justice, but argued that since Justice demands punishment, a penal and punitive consequence to sin, that Christ bore upon Himself the just punishment, the penal consequences of sin upon Himself. Thus Christ offers Himself up to be punished by God on our behalf, becoming our Vicarious Substitute even in bearing upon Himself the punishments we justly deserve upon Himself.

Governmental Theory - Hugo Grotius, a Dutch Arminian theologian in the 17th century, put forward the notion that God is incapable of merely overlooking sin, as a Just King and Judge sin cannot be ignored, and must be dealt with. And so God, as the Universal Sovereign, deals with sin by dealing with sin in Christ. Christ does not receive the precise and exact punishment of sin, rather Christ's punishment is the demonstration of God's displeasure and the seriousness of sin. And so God is able as Judge and King to demonstrate the seriousness of sin--and therefore that it cannot simply be overlooked or ignored--in Christ's sufferings and death, and here does bear upon Himself the significance of God's punishment. That is, we see what we deserve, but that Christ receives it instead of us; so that God may remain the Moral and Just Sovereign, both dealing with sin as well as showing mercy.

Christus Victor Theory - In the 20th century the Swedish Lutheran theologian Gustaf Aulen wrote his seminal work titled Christus Victory, in which he argued for a return to the older views of the Church, namely Recapitulation and Ransom as mentioned earlier in this post. Aulen argues that the Atonement should be understood chiefly as Christ's victory over sin, death, hell, and the devil; that Christ in participating and sharing in our humanity thereby gives us participation in His humanity. And by His suffering, death, and resurrection destroys the power of sin, death, and the devil. And thus in Christ's victory there is victory for us, for He shared in our weakness, our mortality, our death that we might share in His glory, His life, His resurrection. So that in Christ there is victory, the victory which He accomplished by defeating all hostile powers, and thereby freeing us and liberating us to share in the life of God which is in Himself.

Just as a disclaimer, what I've presented here are largely very watered down, bite-sized explanations for these views. Think of this as a very incomplete, and very basic introduction to the various Theories of the Atonement.

Also, remember that these are not mutually exclusive, at least not necessarily. Some favor one view to the exclusion of others, but many also see here different, mutually complimentary views. In a very real way the Atonement describes a profound mystery that is difficult to properly capture by trying to explain it in a systematic way. What we have received in Christ by the gift and grace of God is a profound thing that is more sublime than any single attempt at providing a theory could possibly offer.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello!

How much of the Old testament have you studied? That is important in terms of learning the significance of Jesus' existence.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello!

Basically God unleashed his wrath on himself instead of humanity , we don't exactly know how it works maybe it has to do something with some sort of energy or something like that the sin generates and God used Jesus as a sponge to gather it away from people.

We don't know and can't know because God did not reveal it to us , anything you can know must be revealed by God because to know something you have to know everything.

We can only speculate.
Faith is evidence of things not seen but hope for.

We base our faith on the atribute by God that he is outside of time and told us using prophecy what will happen so we know that he is even existing. Since what would happen actually happen we believe him and take it by faith for what he tells us , assuming he can't lie we take every of his word as knowledge.

For me it goes like this :
1) I see prophecy written by multiple people about some man suffering for us and saving us wrong sin Adam did , promised to Eve in the Garden by God himself
2) Jesus fullfilled multiple prophecy
3) I believe Jesus that he is the Messiah and believe him that he died for my sin , not understanding how but hope for ressurrection since he promised it to me after he confirmed who he is

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is Holy and Good. In Him is no sin. He can't let sin go unpunished.

However, He created us and loves His creation. We sin and do wrong. He doesn't want us to perish so something had to be done. He had to make a way.

Jesus left the Father to be born as a man. Fully God and fully man. He lived a perfect life, the life we can't. He allowed himself to be sacrificed to pay that penalty. In repenting and professing Christ as our Lord, He becomes that substitutary atonement for our sins. We are clothed in Christ's righteousness and He intercedes for us.

If we love Him though, we obey Him. If we are in Him we have the Holy Spirit to help us live that life, to teach us and guide us. We are set f

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!

Jesus bore the penalty that our sins deserve on the cross. He removed the guiltiness of our transgressions and bore the pain that it deserved. It wasn't the nails through his hands, but the wrath of God that was poured out on him when he said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

He suffered and died in our place, that we may live through him.

Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you need evidence, the existence and the history of Jews will be your evidence.

If diferent denominations hinder you from choosing your path then I ask you to simply pray to God sincerely to show you what really is the truth and if Jesus is the messiah.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Jesus Christ of Nazareth paved the path to the Father. Before that, the law was given as a guideline to perfection. No one person could accomplish that other than Christ, who just so happen to be the Son of God. So it is clear that God has a standard and we , Israel, did not meet that standard so He put His son in the place of our weakness so that He could make us perfect before the Father. Sinless by performing two laws, love your God and love one another only accomplished through His Holy Spirit which we receive upon conversion.
Sin and death has been conquered by one divine human being, Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He restored the relationship once lost through Adam, the relationship between man and our Creator thus saving us back into Him.
Blessings

Last edited:
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Jesus was nailed to the cross at around 12pm, and spent three hours there until He gave up His life. During that three hours Jesus took the whole wrath of God and the eternal penalty for sin for every single person who is and was to be converted right up to the time when Jesus comes again. This meant that Jesus took three hours to accomplish it, because He is an eternal Person and only an eternal person could endure the whole eternal penalty and wrath of God for our sinfulness. This meant that in that three hours where God withdrew His comforting presence from Jesus and replaced it with His judgmental presence, the sins of every single converted believer were wiped out. When the three hours were over, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "It is finished!", meaning that His redemptive sacrifice and substitution for our sins was totally accomplished for all time.

This is when the great curtain that separated the holy of holies in the Temple was ripped from top to bottom, signifying that all the passovers, ceremonies, sacrifices, sabbaths and priesthood of Judiasm were totally abolished. This was because there was no further point in having them, because Jesus became all these things for us, and faith in Christ alone replaced them totally.

John MacArthur gives excellent teaching on these things and you can view them on Youtube.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We could not die right for our sins. But Jesus is pleasing to our Father, enough to die in a pleasing way, for us.

Plus, Jesus is our example of how to love the way He loved us, on the cross >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

On the cross, Jesus was sweetly pleasing to our Father > "a sweet-smelling aroma". And Jesus so suffered and died with hope for any and all people. So, we need to also have hope for any and all people > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

Upvote 0