California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
It on its own does not verify truth in the fundamental claims.

As for all world views seem absurd, my point is, they all contain parts that seem absurd to someone, I therefore acknowledged that attempting to avoid apparent absurdity was futile.

Huh? You stated "Christianity is the one that worked in application."

For which I asked... Only the parts that you agree with or like, or all of it works in application? Because, as I'm sure you know, there looks to be some allowances and assertions in there, which I hardly doubt you might truly like or agree with.... And if you deem the parts you don't agree with absurd, then why use the Bible as your guide, just institute your own 'moral philosophy'?

And furthermore, I also asked... Even if the Bible provided sound advice, all across the board, how does the Bible verify 1 Corinthians 15:14?

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For which I asked... Only the parts that you agree with or like, or all of it works in application? Because, as I'm sure you know, there looks to be some allowances and assertions in there, which I hardly doubt you might truly like or agree with.... And if you deem the parts you don't agree with absurd, then why use the Bible as your guide, just institute your own 'moral philosophy'?

The famous Chesterton quote is applicable here: "We do not really want a religion that is right where we are right. What we want is a religion that is right where we are wrong."

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Every world view I have ever encountered seemed absurd to me, Christianity is the one that worked in application.
I've come to believe that it's an individual thing. There are many for whom other religious forms out side of Christianity work best for them in their application. More often than not it's a cultural connection that they follow. But the thing is, if they have God as their reality and become better Human Beings in the process, who am I to quiver over differing religious beliefs.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
This doesn't really make sense as a question. You're comparing first-hand experience and second-hand accounts here--you would need to ask the person who actually claimed to have seen an alien or ghost if they found their own claim credible, and the response would presumably be "yes."

Beg to differ.

To elaborate, I would agree that people whom claim direct contact from their god(s), might be one of the only ways to 'validate' their beliefs; as you eluded to in a prior response... Same goes for directly witnessing, what they see, as a miracle, for which they may also attribute to this believed god(s).

I guess my point here, is if they receive direct revelation, they will likely not critique or entertain scrutiny about the Bible; they likely already think their god(s) is/are real.

Mind you, "divine intervention" doesn't necessarily mean direct contact or witnessing a miracle. Christianity traditionally teaches that faith is, to a certain extent, a gift, though, so the idea of compelling evidence strikes me as somewhat out of place.

I'm already aware of this... The Bible would be an example. But again, many believers claim direct contact, in some way, shape, or form. Hence, the Bible might not even be fully necessary for them any longer, for 'justification' anyways...

Revelation doesn't preclude reason. In my experience, "how do you pick religion A over religion B?" is only an issue for people who don't take religious claims seriously in the first place--if someone cares about the issue enough to research various traditions, they usually end up with informed opinions about them. (Unless you're just researching other religions for apologetic purposes--that just leads to caricatures.)

Okay, so I ask you... We have plenty of well read and well educated individuals, whom ultimately belief in an opposing agent(s). So when another person claims contact to this individual of oppsing belief, from a God they don't believe exists, how does this individual know the claim, from this opposing individual, is false?

I think so.

Care to prove it?

That would be a subjective judgment.

Then how would you 'validate' the claim above? (i.e.) "To demonstrate that the apparent absurdities of Christianity actually are internally consistent?"

No, but I have a deep moral problem with operating under the assumption that reality is not ultimately good.

You have a 'moral problem' if the tenets and claims of Christianity end up false? Trying to clarify here...

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
We believe in ONE God, CF Statement of Faith | Christian Forums, not an individual "your/my God".

You again failed to address my questions :( I'm already aware of your beliefs. Your response does not relate to any of them...

1. Only the parts that you agree with or like, or all of it works in application? Because, as I'm sure you know, there looks to be some allowances and assertions in there, which I hardly doubt you might truly like or agree with....

2. And if you deem the parts you don't agree with absurd, then why use the Bible as your guide, why not just institute your own 'moral philosophy'?

3. And furthermore, I also asked... Even if the Bible provided sound advice, all across the board, how does the Bible verify 1 Corinthians 15:14?"

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Beg to differ.

To elaborate, I would agree that people whom claim direct contact from their god(s), might be one of the only ways to 'validate' their beliefs; as you eluded to in a prior response... Same goes for directly witnessing, what they see, as a miracle, for which they may also attribute to this believed god(s).

I guess my point here, is if they receive direct revelation, they will likely not critique or entertain scrutiny about the Bible; they likely already think their god(s) is/are real.

You have already accepted, arguendo, that theism is true. This means that mystical experiences of various natures are on the table as a way of knowing God. If a theist witnesses what they genuinely believe to be a miracle and decides that it must have a naturalistic explanation, that theist is an idiot.

Honestly, I think barring mental health concerns, direct revelation should trump all. The problem of other religions doesn't really bother me--if someone has a vision of Krishna or Mohammed and thinks it's real, they should probably take that seriously.

I'm already aware of this... The Bible would be an example. But again, many believers claim direct contact, in some way, shape, or form. Hence, the Bible might not even be fully necessary for them any longer, for 'justification' anyways...

Yes, this happens. I think it's better to have some external standard to measure mystical experience against, though.

Okay, so I ask you... We have plenty of well read and well educated individuals, whom ultimately belief in an opposing agent(s). So when another person claims contact to this individual of oppsing belief, from a God they don't believe exists, how does this individual know the claim, from this opposing individual, is false?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If an intelligent, well-educated Muslim came up to me and started describing a vision they had had, I would not assume that their claim was false. Similarly, if a Christian describes a miracle they witnessed to me, I don't automatically cite it as evidence. I would assume that both are telling the truth, but beyond that, I cannot really say anything.

The only personal experience that should really be conclusive to any individual is their own--that's the only one they have access to.

Care to prove it?

"Prove that Christianity is coherent" is a pretty open-ended challenge. You would need to say what doctrine you think is incoherent and present some argument as to why it's incoherent.

Then how would you 'validate' the claim above? (i.e.) "To demonstrate that the apparent absurdities of Christianity actually are internally consistent?"

Internal consistency doesn't have anything to do with the historicity of the New Testament. The entirety of Christian theology, Bible and all, could have been invented by St. Thomas Aquinas and still be internally coherent. Obviously, in that case, it would have been completely non-historical.

You have a 'moral problem' if the tenets and claims of Christianity end up false? Trying to clarify here...

That isn't what I meant, though that happens to be true also.

I believe in social justice. If I accept the possibility that reality is ultimately just and things will inevitably be set right, social justice makes sense as a concept. If I instead operate under the assumption that justice is a human fiction, then either I discard the notion of social justice, or I accept all of the problems inherent in believing in something that I know to be merely a subjective preference. Neither of these options is morally acceptable to me.

Which doesn't mean that I don't care about truth also, but I have an equally large moral problem with using evidentialism as a crutch to never actually have to make a decision about anything.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Which means I have conceded all arguments for God(s) general existence. Now all theists have left to do, presumably, is to demonstrate the Bible specifically.

Shouldn't be very hard...? We have just eliminated many many many formal arguments, in advance.

Thank you kindly, as always.
That's a very good idea, cvanwey. Interesting, isn't it, that almost all the arguments that Christians use for their God are mostly arguments for nothing but theism. But they generally assume - Cosmological, Teleological, Moral, and abracadabra! Yahweh!

• Friendly
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've come to believe that it's an individual thing. There are many for whom other religious forms out side of Christianity work best for them in their application. More often than not it's a cultural connection that they follow. But the thing is, if they have God as their reality and become better Human Beings in the process, who am I to quiver over differing religious beliefs.
Well, if you're not a Christian, you will find most Christians here disagree with you. Indeed, in the not too distant past, you would have been imprisoned or killed for saying such a thing.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's a very good idea, cvanwey. Interesting, isn't it, that almost all the arguments that Christians use for their God are mostly arguments for nothing but theism. But they generally assume - Cosmological, Teleological, Moral, and abracadabra! Yahweh!
Do you have any examples of people doing that here? Making a cosmological or teleological argument and then declaring, with no other justification or argument, that such an argument is itself proof of Christianity specifically? That's not something I've seen. I'm curious if you have a specific example of that or if you're just taking a vague swipe at Christians generally.

Edit to add: I'll concede, though, that if there are people making that kind of argument, then they're wrong in doing so. Even if you can establish the existence of God more broadly, something like the cosmological argument is not in itself sufficient to demonstrate the truth of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you have any examples of people doing that here? Making a cosmological or teleological argument and then declaring, with no other justification or argument, that such an argument is itself proof of Christianity specifically? That's not something I've seen. I'm curious if you have a specific example of that or if you're just taking a vague swipe at Christians generally.

Edit to add: I'll concede, though, that if there are people making that kind of argument, then they're wrong in doing so. Even if you can establish the existence of God more broadly, something like the cosmological argument is not in itself sufficient to demonstrate the truth of Christianity.
I don't have any examples of such a thing in this thread. But take my word for it, there are plenty of times when Christians have been asked why they believe in God, and have answered using variations of the cosmological, teleological and moral arguments, among others.

Edited - sorry, Redac, I'm afraid I came off as rather grumpy there, so I've tidied the post up a bit. It was nothing to do with you, and I hope you took no offence. Just irritation at the habit of many apologists of misusing arguments. That's why I'm pleased to see this thread of cvanwey's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I did a very quick search of CF forums. These two were on the first page of the search:
Argument from truth
Kalaam Cosmological Argument

Please, take it from me, this is entirely typical. In apologetics books, websites like this and public debates, these arguments are frequently used by Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Only the parts that you agree with or like, or all of it works in application? Because, as I'm sure you know, there looks to be some allowances and assertions in there, which I hardly doubt you might truly like or agree with....

2. And if you deem the parts you don't agree with absurd, then why use the Bible as your guide, why not just institute your own 'moral philosophy'?

3. And furthermore, I also asked... Even if the Bible provided sound advice, all across the board, how does the Bible verify 1 Corinthians 15:14?"

"Every world view I have ever encountered seemed absurd to me, Christianity is the one that worked in application." My own post 14.

"As for all world views seem absurd, my point is, they all contain parts that seem absurd to someone, I therefore acknowledged that attempting to avoid apparent absurdity was futile." My own post 19.

There is what I said, because your questions do not appear to relate to it at all.

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did a very quick search of CF forums. These two were on the first page of the search:
Argument from truth
Kalaam Cosmological Argument

Please, take it from me, this is entirely typical. In apologetics books, websites like this and public debates, these arguments are frequently used by Christians.

Obviously Christians use arguments for Theism, we are Theists. The two links you have posted are stated to be arguments for Theism, they are not presented as complete arguments for every aspect of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Obviously Christians use arguments for Theism, we are Theists. The two links you have posted are stated to be arguments for Theism, they are not presented as complete arguments for every aspect of Christianity.
Can I suggest you reread the last few posts? I think you rather missed the point.

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I suggest you reread the last few posts? I think you rather missed the point.

The only point raised is "arguments for theism do not amount to arguments for all aspects of Christianity. They are arguments for the theist aspect. As your two links present, arguments for the theist aspect. The OP itself is based on exactly that point and no one is disputing it.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The only point raised is "arguments for theism do not amount to arguments for all aspects of Christianity. They are arguments for the theist aspect. As your two links present, arguments for the theist aspect. The OP itself is based on exactly that point and no one is disputing it.
You are correct that the two links I posted are only arguments for theism. But the thing is, they do so while maintaining that their arguments prove the existence of the Christian God. Check them, and you'll find that this is so. I believe that @Redac has already said that she agrees with me that this is something they should not do.
@cvanwey is asking Christians to move beyond arguments for theism and give arguments specifically for Christianity. Speaking for myself, I find this a welcome discussion, as too often I see Christians making arguments which they claim prove the existence of the Christian God, which in fact prove nothing of the sort.
I hope you will accept that I am telling the truth when I say that this is a tactic which I have seen Christian apologists use often.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let's not speak of this any more here, if you don't mind. I wouldn't want to derail @cvanwey's thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people say in answer to him.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0