• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

"Okay, I believe in a higher power(s) now...."

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by cvanwey, Feb 7, 2020.

1. cvanwey

cvanwey Well-Known Member

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    Which means I have conceded all arguments for God(s) general existence. Now all theists have left to do, presumably, is to demonstrate the Bible specifically.

Shouldn't be very hard...? We have just eliminated many many many formal arguments, in advance.

Thank you kindly, as always.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+1,657
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Arguendo, presumably?

3. public hermit

public hermit Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,193
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I was wondering the same thing.

4. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    Precisely. Trust the avatar, not the thread title. Again, TY in advance :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    What? You were thinking all these Christian apologetics arguments were starting to cause a fundamental shift in my paradigm? :)

6. Nihilist Virus

Nihilist Virus Infectious idea

+1,044
    Atheist
    Private
    So if they can't take this handoff and do anything with it at all, then the entire argument for Christianity is essentially the old, "Look at all the trees!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Redac

Redac Regular Member

+909
    Catholic
    Single
    If you've conceded (arguendo of course) all arguments for the existence of God, that would include a number of arguments that themselves preclude polytheism as a possibility. So that's half of your OP done already.

If you're going to insist that that still has to be demonstrated, then you haven't really conceded all arguments like you said. In that case you're going to have to be much more specific about exactly what you have conceded and why, which I suspect is beyond what you intended with this thread.

8. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    This is why I stated 'God(s) general existence'. I'm aware some arguments argue for a singular prime mover.

But either way, just for [you], I'll even go it one step further. Please, go directly to step 2 :)

9. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+4,252
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I was going to say the same as @Redac. The arguments for theism generally speaking only can be used to support monotheism (or nondualism), and we've historically seen polytheistic cultures shift in a monotheistic on nondualistic direction specifically because of this sort of thinking (see the Greeks, but also Hinduism). Asking to demonstrate step 1 is basically asking to demonstrate what you're said that you've conceded (arguendo).

For Step 2, I would (and did) focus on... well, a handful of things:

The historicity of the New Testament.
    The theological claims of Christianity.
    The moral character of the religion.

(All in comparison with the other options on the table.)

It's a much messier question, though, and I don't think it can really be approached constructively if you're just accepting theism as a hypothetical.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    I admit my OP was a bit sloppy :) I'm going to edit it a bit, for both sake in brevity, and so future posts do not address it 'incorrectly.'

Is there one of these three you would like to focus upon? And if so, care to elaborate a bit; starting with a 'compelling' point/other?

11. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+4,252
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Good idea. :)

I don't think there are "compelling" points, honestly. Christianity is predicated upon an apparent absurdity--the only way to find it compelling would be through divine intervention. That is one area where the doctrine of grace comes in.

I think the point of apologetics would be threefold: first, to demonstrate that the apparent absurdities of Christianity actually are internally consistent; second, to show that the New Testament is at least reliable enough to be taken seriously; and third, to really transmit the beauty and hope of the Christian message. That last bit tends to get ignored these days.

12. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,293
    Lutheran
    Married
    What if that's not what I would try to do? Do you still want to hear from me?

13. MrsFoundit

MrsFoundit Well-Known Member

+178
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Support for the Bible becomes clearer in practice than in theory, I do not believe one can hypothetically experience it.

14. MrsFoundit

+178
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Every world view I have ever encountered seemed absurd to me, Christianity is the one that worked in application.

15. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    I would partially agree, in the sense that one's own personal beliefs may be predicated upon 'direct contact', or being the direct witness of a 'miracle intervention.' Hence, once someone claims they speak to, and have been contacted by God, I always ask...

Do you believe in the ones whom claim they speak to some claimed opposing agent, ghost, alien, other?

It again further demonstrates that, if we are to leave 'truth' to revelation/contact/other, then many 'beliefs' are still on the table. Hence, what distinguishes the Bible as truth, over the rest? How can the Christian reject the earnest claims of someone whom claims contact or intervention from some claimed opposing claimed agent?

Can this be done?

What constitutes 'reliable enough.'? That some events in history look to resemble the claims from the Bible, or, that the verification of 'eyewitness attestation' of the supernatural is reasonably validated, or somewhere in between?

What is the 'beauty and hope' exactly? I think this depends on whom you ask. :) But regardless, I feel you might agree, that believing or hoping something is true, lends no more or less credibility to it's truth.

16. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    All parts, or just the ones you agree with or like? And even withstanding, how does this verify truth in the fundamental claims, that Jesus rose from the dead? Because, as I'm sure you are aware, the Bible states:

And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith

17. MrsFoundit

+178
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Do I believe other spirits exist? Yes.
    Do I believe they are all of God? No.

18. cvanwey

+523
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    How would you know? If you were contacted by a spirit, whom claimed to be your God, how would you distinguish the difference between the true God, verses not?

And furthermore, I would like an answer to my direct questions towards you, if you don't mind?

"All parts, or just the ones you agree with or like? And even withstanding, how does this verify truth in the fundamental claims, that Jesus rose from the dead? Because, as I'm sure you are aware, the Bible states:

And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith"

19. MrsFoundit

+178
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    It on its own does not verify truth in the fundamental claims.

As for all world views seem absurd, my point is, they all contain parts that seem absurd to someone, I therefore acknowledged that attempting to avoid apparent absurdity was futile.

20. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+4,252
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yeah, I think when comparing entire worldviews, this is true. When just looking at specific claims and doctrines, though, Christianity is, at first glance, completely insane. A number of other worldviews strike me as the opposite--they look reasonable, but if you get too close, the absurdity creeps in.

This doesn't really make sense as a question. You're comparing first-hand experience and second-hand accounts here--you would need to ask the person who actually claimed to have seen an alien or ghost if they found their own claim credible, and the response would presumably be "yes."

Mind you, "divine intervention" doesn't necessarily mean direct contact or witnessing a miracle. Christianity traditionally teaches that faith is, to a certain extent, a gift, though, so the idea of compelling evidence strikes me as somewhat out of place.

Revelation doesn't preclude reason. In my experience, "how do you pick religion A over religion B?" is only an issue for people who don't take religious claims seriously in the first place--if someone cares about the issue enough to research various traditions, they usually end up with informed opinions about them. (Unless you're just researching other religions for apologetic purposes--that just leads to caricatures.)

I think so.

That would be a subjective judgment.

Traditionally speaking, Christian hope is the Resurrection of the Body--a renewed world where all that is wrong will finally be set right. It's cosmic, not about cheating the system and getting to a disembodied heaven.

No, but I have a deep moral problem with operating under the assumption that reality is not ultimately good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List