Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatu

May 5, 2006
Minnesota
✟16,133.00
Marital Status
Private
I calculated (using UNICEF statistics) that at least 60,000 children die in Africa every month because of malaria.

That's like a killer tsunami or earthquake happening, constantly.

Children alone.

Every month.

A malaria vaccine only costs $2.80 a pop.

That's just one snapshot of poverty. There are people dying because they don't get Vitamin A. They might eat white rice for 6 months in a row if they're lucky.

Here's my question.

Based on a larger scope of the planet: why is the majority of the earth poor like that?

By majority, I mean at least 6 billion people live in complete abject poverty. They can't wear whatever clothes they want -- they're thankful if they get to eat. And have a shoddy roof. And thank God, if they can go to school.

Seriously, why are we all filthy rich compared to billions of people that God loves just as much?

What say you?

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tatu said:
(Obviously, it's God's will that we give the $2 million a year to save the seven hundred and twenty thousand children. Instead of just shrugging them off because they're African.)

The problem isn't that the money hasn't been there. In fact, modern world governments (including the U.S.) have given billions and billions in aid to african nations only for all the money to be taken by the rulers of the countries. The aid never even got to the people. The reason why there's so many problems in post colonial Africa are two things - corrupt governments and war. Often it is war that has caused the famines you hear so much about there.

Upvote 0

Tatu

May 5, 2006
Minnesota
✟16,133.00
Marital Status
Private
BenAdam said:
Ok, if you want me to take your post seriously, 5/6 of the world is not in abject poverty. You should get the number right.

So make it five billion. Or four. Whatever number makes you comfortable.

We all know you are wealthier than billions of people on the earth. We all are wealthier than over 90% of the world's population. And that's a lowball figure.

Why are you richer than 5.76 billion people?

Why are we all filthy rich compared to billions of people that God loves just as much?

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tatu said:

We all know you are wealthier than billions of people on the earth. We all are wealthier than over 90% of the world's population. And that's a lowball figure.

Why are we all filthy rich compared to billions of people that God loves just as much?
wealth is relative to where you live. sure in sudan my income could buy food for 10 families for a year, but it buys food for 1 family in the US. If I lived in certain parts of the US it wouldn't even do that.

Billions are not starving to death, that is hype. But there are tremendous problems in the world that the Church should be attending to.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tatu said:
I calculated (using UNICEF statistics) that at least 60,000 children die in Africa every month because of malaria.

Children alone.

Every month.

That's just one snapshot of poverty. There are people dying because they don't get Vitamin A. They might eat white rice for 6 months in a row if they're lucky.

Here's my question.

Based on a larger scope of the planet: why is the majority of the earth poor like that?

By majority, I mean at least 6 billion people live in complete abject poverty. They can't wear whatever clothes they want -- they're thankful if they get to eat. And have a shoddy roof. And thank God, if they can go to school.

Seriously, why are we all filthy rich compared to billions of people that God loves just as much?

What say you?

Would you say that this is evidence that "God is in absolute control of everything?"

Why would He starve babies?

Quite a dilemma for the mere theist!

You can hold to the simplistic position that "God in His absolute power and sovereignty is controlling the death of these millions"...

Or you can think for a moment...
and come to the conclusion that there may be something more going on than the "Zeus on Olympus" theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The key to set people free is Jesus.

In Him we can be freed from poverty

And, we can be freed from greed.

We can be freed from want

And we can be freed from excess.

“Who the Son sets free is free indeed!”

We don’t need a re-distribution of wealth in the world.

What we need is more distribution of Jesus.

The western world has been blessed to the extent that we have because we were nations founded and molded by Godly men. So many places in the world are bound up by darkness, idolatry, and demon worship. These places will never prosper unless this curse is removed from their land. Again Jesus is the cure, not more aid.

I believe God blesses for a purpose. He is looking for people who will be a conduit for His resources to flow to the nations. I can’t fix all the poverty in the world but I need to do my part. If all who claim the name of Christ would just do that it would go a long way.

John O.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jeolmstead said:
The key to set people free is Jesus.

In Him we can be freed from poverty

And, we can be freed from greed.

We can be freed from want

And we can be freed from excess.

“Who the Son sets free is free indeed!”

We don’t need a re-distribution of wealth in the world.

What we need is more distribution of Jesus.

The western world has been blessed to the extent that we have because we were nations founded and molded by Godly men. So many places in the world are bound up by darkness, idolatry, and demon worship. These places will never prosper unless this curse is removed from their land. Again Jesus is the cure, not more aid.

I believe God blesses for a purpose. He is looking for people who will be a conduit for His resources to flow to the nations. I can’t fix all the poverty in the world but I need to do my part. If all who claim the name of Christ would just do that it would go a long way.

John O.

That is true. But, isn't part of showing the love of Jesus clothing the naked and feeding the hungry?

Surely there is some way to show that Love of Jesus in a practical way rather than just converting them?

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alpine said:
That is true. But, isn't part of showing the love of Jesus clothing the naked and feeding the hungry?

Surely there is some way to show that Love off Jesus in a practical way rather than just converting them?

I didn’t mean to imply that we didn’t need to help materially. We most definitely should! And, In my opinion it’s a sin not to share the blessings God has given you!

But, If you do not attack the problem at it’s root you will never change it.

John O.

Reactions: Kebisoni
Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
What ever the statistics truely are, would you think that Deut 28 has alot to do with conditions that you see? Both blessings and cursings are listed. It's not that God is the one that is bringing the curse. It's just that we are all cursed until you come to the one true God? In other words, the power of the devil is still active in peoples lives that know not Christ. Thats why the Gospel has to be preached in these area's, to bring people into light, and out from under the power of the devil. Those that have been blessed do help, but when countries are under control of corrupt leaders, your liable to see very little help actually get through to those who need it the most.

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tatu said:

Children alone.

Every month.

Here's my question.

What say you?

Greedy governments and corrupt political systems.

Look at all those poor, struggling countries...then look at their government who is pretty much swimming in wealth. Give to the rich, leave nothing for the poor. Sad, but true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tatu said:

It struck me that this (world poverty) puts quite a spin on the thinking that Christians shouldn't be "too"prosperous.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is really sad that our nation - the most giving nation in the world - is still accused of not helping - when we send billions and billions, church groups helping, charities helping and still they go hungry.

What more can we do - the governments are so greedy and don't care about their people and just lets them starve while they sit in the lap of riches.

But yet when we do something - we have our own people hoping we get beat up over it - they bash our leaders who are willing to do something - what more can we possibly do.

We have a United Nations that is more corrupt than any of the greedy governments starving their people - but yet nations accept it - we don't have many behind us looking at the corruption because they are too involved in it.

I don't know the answer, but it will take more than just introducing them to Jesus - I wish that was all it took, but we all know it is not all it takes. My heart and my prayers are with all these precious people.

Upvote 0

OmegaMan

Pirate Puppet
Jun 6, 2006
✟7,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
SharonL said:
It is really sad that our nation - the most giving nation in the world - is still accused of not helping - when we send billions and billions, church groups helping, charities helping and still they go hungry.

What more can we do - the governments are so greedy and don't care about their people and just lets them starve while they sit in the lap of riches.

But yet when we do something - we have our own people hoping we get beat up over it - they bash our leaders who are willing to do something - what more can we possibly do.

We have a United Nations that is more corrupt than any of the greedy governments starving their people - but yet nations accept it - we don't have many behind us looking at the corruption because they are too involved in it.

I don't know the answer, but it will take more than just introducing them to Jesus - I wish that was all it took, but we all know it is not all it takes. My heart and my prayers are with all these precious people.
I agree.

Kind of reminds me of the if God is so powerful, why do bad things happen argument. No matter how much is given, there will still be poor.

Upvote 0

Tatu

May 5, 2006
Minnesota
✟16,133.00
Marital Status
Private
Guys, I asked why from a Biblical perspective.

So far I've seen nothing but
  • the statistics attacked.
  • self-comforting "poverty is relative" trash.
I am not asking for your practical advice on how to solve world poverty. I'm asking why God made you rich and them poor.

Do you believe that it's God's will for them to be poor?

Nonhype hunger statistic:
852 million people across the world are hungry, up from 842 million a year ago. In essence, hunger is the most extreme form of poverty, where individuals or families cannot afford to meet their most basic need for food. Source: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/008/a0200e/a0200e00.pdf

So saying billions are starving is hype. But 800,000,000 are starving.

If you want more nonhype statistics, go to http://www.bread.org/learn/hunger-basics/hunger-facts-international.html .

My question still stands.

Nonhype wealth statistic:
The United States is a part of the developed or industrialized world, which consists of about 57 countries with a combined population of only 0.9 billion, less than one sixth of the world’s population. Source: http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/2005/

That means you're born better off than 86% (or 5.5b people).

BenAdam, I grew up as a missionary kid. I've been to the most extreme conditions of poverty in the western hemisphere and I've lived in one of the poorest countries in Asia for a short time. I've also been to "moderately poor" third world countries on a couple continents..

With the amount of ruin I've seen, you have no idea how ridiculous it sounds to hear someone be flippant and say, "Well, poverty is relative. They're not that poor in their own country."

Reactions: Kebisoni
Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tatu said:
Guys, I asked why from a Biblical perspective.

So far I've seen nothing but
  • the statistics attacked.
  • self-comforting "poverty is relative" trash.
I am not asking for your practical advice on how to solve world poverty. I'm asking why God made you rich and them poor.

Do you believe that it's God's will for them to be poor?

Nonhype hunger statistic:

So saying billions are starving is hype. But 800,000,000 are starving.

If you want more nonhype statistics, go to http://www.bread.org/learn/hunger-basics/hunger-facts-international.html .

My question still stands.

Nonhype wealth statistic:

That means you're born better off than 86% (or 5.5b people).

BenAdam, I grew up as a missionary kid. I've been to the most extreme conditions of poverty in the western hemisphere and I've lived in one of the poorest countries in Asia for a short time. I've also been to "moderately poor" third world countries on a couple continents..

With the amount of ruin I've seen, you have no idea how ridiculous it sounds to hear someone be flippant and say, "Well, poverty is relative. They're not that poor in their own country."

You are thinking too hard. You want a biblical response to why the world is the way it is. Why a government is filthy rich and why it's people suffer daily in poverty. The answer is so much simplier than you think. We are all born into Sin. Read Genesis. The entire book and you will KNOW why it's like that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.