Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I rate my friends. It's kinda sad, really. I don't think of them in terms of "best friends" "closest friends" or "bffs" or anything like that. I think of my friends as "first draft friends" "second draft friends" "only drafts that I really like friends" and "you're going to have to wait until it's published" friends.

In an effort to get WG activity back up, I ask: do you ever think of your friends as people you get to force your writing on? I do.

mochagirl

Even so, it is well with my soul.
Aug 23, 2004
✟19,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hmm.

I guess, yeah. I've always been one of those people who get mortified at the thought of people--in general, but especially those I know--reading what I've written, so it takes a lot for me to "force" my writing on others. (More often it's been the opposite; them forcing me to let them read it. Heh.)

Upvote 0

NeoScribe

This is it.
Apr 12, 2006
That one place...
✟16,206.00
Faith
Christian
There are some friends who will read what I write gladly because they like it (mostly older people).
And then there are some who will barely glance at my work no matter how much I beg... Oddly enough these are the same people who have no problem asking me to write stories for them. Go figure

Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm kind of with Neo on this one :). I've my "interesteds" and my "never interesteds." I've come to realize that one issue in general seems to be true, the latter group aren't really readers themselves. My wife is my best critic and always willing to read and comment on my writing - good or bad - she's honest - often brutally so :). My other friends, for whatever reason, rarely will take the time to offer more than a shrug when I try to submit something to them - so I've quit doing so. I suppose if I ever get "good" at writing, some may take the time to read my work, but any more, I'm looking for those who don't know me to offer substantive critique.

Upvote 0

sunstruckdream

Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
A handful of my friends read my stuff. They're the ones who are interested in writing also. I have one friend who I switch work with via email on a several-times-a-week basis, if we've both been productive. I have another friend who (and this irks the heck out of me), asks for copies of my work to read, then promptly misplaces or loses them or forgets them long enough to need another. (Consequently, he doesn't see my work that often.) But yeah, I have a few friends who seem to like staying up on my stuff. I don't usually 'force' the work on people, though. I don't want someone to feel pressured to read it and like it less because of that.

Upvote 0

Peace Eternal

constantlylackingsleep
Mar 23, 2005
A Yellow Submarine
✟1,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I've ever shown my work to a friend, and only one story to an adult, which turned into a total mockery of my work and why on earth was I writing something so stupid? So, to answer the question, I don't rate my friends as in who can read my drafts, but I do rate them as character material. Which parts of them will fit where in a story? kind of thing.

Upvote 0

Kokopelli

Stoic seeker of the truth
Dec 11, 2003
the arm pit of the world
✟16,447.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think I've ever shown my work to a friend, and only one story to an adult, which turned into a total mockery of my work and why on earth was I writing something so stupid? So, to answer the question, I don't rate my friends as in who can read my drafts, but I do rate them as character material. Which parts of them will fit where in a story? kind of thing.

Given that it seems most of my friends are a couple of friendly chaps named "Morgan" and "Sebastian," I don't expect much help from them in the reading department.. They do however, provide excellent help on clearing the mind. Unfortunately, it can become too clear, resulting in me being unable to write before seeking their advise.

Other than that, there is a female co-worker who has read some of my stuff. She enjoyed, though I don't know if it is because she was just being nice or what the case was. I have to be careful on what I let her read however, as there have been characters that were modeled after her that have not seen the light of day of day yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums