Ok for a RCIA candidate to continue serving in Protestant Church until Easter Vigil?

friendofsthomobonus

Oct 13, 2021
Indianapolis
✟7,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was raised and baptized nondenominational Protestant, and served in my church's children's ministry in high school but stepped down due to college out of town and doing RCIA. I called my old ministry supervisor to see how she was, asked on the status of the ministry; they are low on volunteers. I now feel bad for stepping down, and feel an obligation to serve on school holidays I go home. (I would attend a Saturday Vigil Mass to practice fulfilling my obligation to attend Mass)
But I know Protestants don't believe in asking the Saints to intervene, or transudation, or practice all 7 Sacraments. Would it be wrong for me to still serve at my Protestant church while I could still receive communion (I don't call it the Eucharist at my old church because the bread and juice are merely symbolic of the Real Bread and Body of Christ) there (before Easter Vigil?) Thoughts?????

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would be surprised if they were against this, since you are not officially Catholic yet and most Protestants are considered "separated brethren" (assuming they believe in the basic Christian doctrine found in the Nicene and Apostles Creeds).

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Technically there shouldn't be an issue, but if you decide to continue with your ministry during RCIA I wouldn't go round broadcasting the fact you're thinking of joining the Catholic Church.

Speaking from personal experience you're more likely to get a negative reaction from Protestant contacts than Catholic.

Do what you think is right, but just be aware you may cop a bit of personal antagonism.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Technically speaking, RCIA is a trial period, where you become aware of the differences between your future and your past Christian Life.
And yes, there is usually a transition period of time for all RCIA candidates when they feel the tug of the familiar, as opposed to the excitement of the new.
Trying to find a balance between the old and the new is difficult, however, because the more time you spend with a foot in each camp, the stronger the pull becomes to return to the familiar, than to continue on in the new.
Why is that?
Because inevitably, where your eyes gaze, your feet will follow.
And at some point your forward progress will halt because your eyes draw you backwards to the familiar past.
So before you make a decision, think about what interested you about becoming a Catholic, and be honest with yourself about how strong your desire is to do so.
Best wishes!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being 100% honest, nearly every church is chronically short on volunteers. I am sure that your local Catholic church would be in need of volunteers in different programs, or even youth. You have made a life changing decision to join a different church, one with some pretty fundamentally different ways of worship and church life than a non-denominational Protestant church.

It would be wise to join and participate in this church life as much as possible while you are in RCIA. Learning to be Catholic and participate in Catholic parish life is an important part of RCIA. Going to Saturday vigil is great, and fulfills your Obligation once you are Catholic, but I think if you feel pulled to assist at your old church still, it would probably be best to help in things outside of Sunday.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0