"OIKOUMENE"(#G3625) In Olivet Discourse and Revelation. Mistranslated?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The mistranslation of #g3625 and the possible impact on interpretations when it comes to Eschatology.

Here are 2 other greek words I feel have been horribly mistranslated in the NT:

GEHENNA/Hell
1067. geena gheh'-en-nah of Hebrew origin (1516 and 2011);
valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell
AGE/forever/world
165. aion ahee-ohn' from the same as 104; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also past); by implication, the world; specially (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):--Compare 5550...............
166. aionios ahee-o'-nee-os from 165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well):--eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).

And the word that is the focus of this thread: "OIKOUMENE"<3625>

Definition from greek resources:

3625 oikoumene feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication, of 1093);
land, i.e. the (terrene part of the) globe; specially, the Roman empire:--earth, world.........
STRONGS NT 3625: οἰκουμένη
οἰκουμένη, οἰκουμένης, ἡ (feminine of the present passive participle from οἰκέω (namely, γῆ; cf. Winers Grammar, § 64, 5; Buttmann, § 123, 8));
1. the inhabited earth;
a. in Greek writings often the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians, cf. Passow, ii., p. 415a; (Liddell and Scott, under the word, I.).

b. in the Greek authors who wrote about Roman affairs (like the Latinorbis terrarum) equivalent to the Roman empire: so πᾶσα ἡ οἰκουμένη contextually equivalent to all the subjects of this empire, Luke 2:1.

One interesting fact I found out is, that #3625 is used in only 4 verses of the Gospels:
1 in Matthew and 3 in Luke.

I will post 2 of the verses, both of which are used in the Olivet Disourse using the KJV and NASB, as they appear to be 2 popular Bible versions and also use different greek texts.

Used in only 1 verse of Matthew:

Matthew 24:14

New American Standard Bible
"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world<(oikoumenē)<3625> as a testimony to all the nations,
and then the end will come.
King James Bible
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world<(oikoumenē)<3625> for a witness unto all nations;
and then shall the end come.

Luke 21:26

men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world/<(oikoumenē)<3625>;
for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
King James Bible
Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth/οἰκουμένη (oikoumenē)<3625>:
for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Son

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Revelation 3:10 uses the exact same form of #3625 as does Matt and Luk:

What would be the best way to express this word in English?

Matthew 24:14 οἰκουμένῃ
Luke 21:26 οἰκουμένῃ

Revelation 3:10 [Luke 21:26]
‘Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you out of the hour of that trial which is about to be coming upon the whole inhabited-house/οἰκουμένη<3625>, to try those who dwell on the land<1093>.

3625. oikoumene feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication, of 1093); land, i.e. the (terrene part of the) globe; specially, the Roman empire:--earth, world.
3611. oikeo oy-keh'-o from 3624; to occupy a house, i.e. reside (figuratively, inhabit, remain, inhere); by implication, to cohabit:--dwell. See also 3625.
3306. meno men'-o a primary verb; to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy):--abide, continue, dwell, endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry (for), X thine own

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here are 2 other greek words I feel have been horribly mistranslated in the NT:

I would suggest looking in the foreword of your bible or at the frontpiece to find the publisher or the translation team and write to them, to discuss your view about this 'miss' translation.

While that translation is in the published bibles you are banging your head against a brick wall.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Revelation 3:10 uses the exact same form of #3625 as does Matt and Luk:

What would be the best way to express this word in English?
I would suggest looking in the foreword of your bible or at the frontpiece to find the publisher or the translation team and write to them, to discuss your view about this 'miss' translation.

While that translation is in the published bibles you are banging your head against a brick wall.

Revelation 12:9
So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole earth/οἰκουμένη (oikoumenē)<3625>;
he was cast to the land, and his angels were cast out with him.

This verse is interesting. It uses not only the word "devil" but also the greek word #1939, which is used in only 1 verse of Revelation and is the same exact word form:

1939. epithumia from 1937; a longing (especially for what is forbidden):--concupiscence, desire, lust (after).

John 8:44
`Ye out of a father, the Devil, are, and the desires/epiqumiaV <1939> of the father of ye, ye are willing to be doing.
That one a man-killer was from beginning and in the truth not has stood, that not is truth in him.
Whenever he may be talking, the falsehood out of the own/P he is talking, that a falsifier he is and the father of it. [Reve 18:14]

Revelation 18:14
And the fruits of the desire/epiqumiaV <1939> of thy soul did go away from thee, and all things — the dainty and the bright — did go away from thee, and no more at all mayest thou find them again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Was the whole world/earth to be enrolled, including Germany, Egypt, Asia, NYC, Paris..........?

exact form of #3625 used in Revelation 12:9

Luke 2:

1 And it came to pass in those days, there went forth a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world<3625> be enrolled --
2 this enrollment first came to pass when Cyrenius was governor of Syria --

3 and all were going to be enrolled, each to his proper city,
4 and Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, that is called Bethlehem, because of his being of the house and family of David,

5 to enroll himself with Mary his betrothed wife, being with child

Act 11:28
and one of them, by name Agabus, having stood up, did signify through the Spirit a great dearth is about to be throughout all the world<3625> -- which also came to pass in the time of Claudius Caesar --

exact form used 4 times Acts, 2 in Hebrews and 1 in Revelation 12:9

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anyone else want to share their view on this greek word #3625? Thanks

Used in only 1 verse of Matthew:

Matthew 24:14

"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world<(oikoumenē)<3625> as a testimony to all the nations,
and then the end will come.
King James Bible
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world<(oikoumenē)<3625> for a witness unto all nations;
and then shall the end come.

Luke 21:26

men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world/<(oikoumenē)<3625>;
for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
King James Bible
Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth/οἰκουμένη (oikoumenē)<3625>:
for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

Revelation 3:10 [Luke 21:26]
‘Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you out of the hour of that trial which is about to be coming upon the whole inhabited-house/οἰκουμένη<3625>, to try those who dwell on the land<1093>.

Definition from greek resources:

3625 oikoumene feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication, of 1093);
land, i.e. the (terrene part of the) globe; specially, the Roman empire:--earth, world.........
STRONGS NT 3625: οἰκουμένη
οἰκουμένη, οἰκουμένης, ἡ (feminine of the present passive participle from οἰκέω (namely, γῆ; cf. Winers Grammar, § 64, 5; Buttmann, § 123, 8));
1. the inhabited earth;
a. in Greek writings often the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians, cf. Passow, ii., p. 415a; (Liddell and Scott, under the word, I.).
b. in the Greek authors who wrote about Roman affairs (like the Latinorbis terrarum) equivalent to the Roman empire: so πᾶσα ἡ οἰκουμένη contextually equivalent to all the subjects of this empire, Luke 2:1.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yeah, that is what I feel like doing sometimes henever I come to the eschatology board,
but I have learned to use a helmet..........

Eze 23:24 And they shall come against you With chariots, wagons, and war-horses,
With a horde of people. They shall array against you
Buckler, shield, and helmet all around.
‘I will delegate judgment to them,
And they shall judge you according to their judgments

Eph 6:17

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
1Th 5:8
But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love,
and as a helmet the hope of salvation.

Upvote 0