• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured "Oh. So you're saying my Mother is in hell?"

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Kenyon Ledford, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Kenyon Ledford

Kenyon Ledford Active Member

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    This must come up often when witnessing. Someone will
    say, "Wait, my mother didn't accept Christ in her heart, but
    she was a very good person. Are you saying she's in hell?"

How do you handle this?

Thanks

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,536
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    God is the judge. God decides. He knows our hearts and souls better than anyone.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,028
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You handle that by abstaining from placing yourself in the position of determining whether someone is in hell or not, i.e., you say "I don't know". That statement is entirely true. It's also the only acceptable answer when someone asks if you're going to hell when you die.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well, that's something. Although it sounds kind of like when you fire someone and they say, "Why are you firing me?" and you answer, "Uhm, go ask the GM. It was his idea."

Hmm...But of course we can't tell people how their loved ones are judged. Thanks for the answer

5. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Thanks guys. That is simple and makes sense!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,450
    Christian
    Private
    Tell them to pray for their mother. . Jesus himself prayed for those who were killing him. Stephan did as well. According to Luke's gospel anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Can you pray for souls who weren't saved?

8. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,719
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Good question
    Tracking thread

9. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,719
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think so, because we don't know who is and who isn't. So yeah. Praying for sinner and saint alike is acceptable in God's sight.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Romans 8

Romans 8 Well-Known Member

+1,004
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Single
    No, there's no use in praying for the dead. Your prayers will not be heard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  11. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,290
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    That's a perfect segue to explain what we need to be saved from and how Jesus is the only one that accomplishes such a salvation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+1,752
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    That is something that Catholic traditions do and encourage. There is some thought that eternity is somewhat outside of what we perceive as time. When a Catholic has communion, they have it with Christ and the Church of believers. Note - *All* believers. Not just those in the room, or those in the country, but also those in the past, those in the present, and even (I suppose) those in the future. Communion is, in a sense, with something that is outside of time.

In the same way, a prayer could also be outside of time, and beneficial in a sense, retroactively? At least that is what my interpretation is. I would also note, that in the previous posts it was said that God is the judge. Specifically, I would say from verses in the Gospel of John, Christ says that the Father has committed all judgement to me.

I was once talking with a man who was a sniper in the middle east. Because his targets were not Christian, he said 'I sent those people to hell'. 'No,' I said. 'You didn't send them to Hell. You sent them to Christ. Christ will decide if he likes the look of them or not.'

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,740
    Christian
    Married
    I think far to often christians tend to, for lack of better words, not defend God and don't side with what He says.

I mean obviously we are supposed to say we don't know, only God knows. But at the same time if someone came up to me and said for example "My son never accepted Christ in his heart and became a Satanist. Then at 25 he died in an accident. Do you think he's in hell?"

My answer would be yes. I mean I get we are not supposed to act like we know it all. But at the same time logic would dictate he didn't go to heaven. Unless he secretly became a christian at some point then why would he be in heaven?

Now would I actually say "He's in hell!". Don't know. I'd feel bad for saying it. I don't want to hurt the persons feelings but I also don't want to avoid standing up for the truth either. If the person just died I wouldn't say it because the person is grieving. But if years down the road they asked I'd be more blunt.

However I would explain it in detail. Such as why he likely went there and why Jesus says it's important to make the decision before we die of being saved. Or something along those lines.

• Like Like x 4
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  14. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,450
    Christian
    Private
    Why not? I do. I pray for everyone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    It seems taking on a lot to say whose prayers will and won't be heard. Do you speak for God on that?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Prayers Prayers x 2
    • List
  16. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Thoughtful response!

17. Romans 8

+1,004
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Why would you be able to change someone's fate after they're dead? Are you're Catholic?

18. Kenyon Ledford

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Is that a no on the scripture then?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Romans 8

+1,004
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Definite No on scripture. This is 100% my opinion and common sense.

20. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+872
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I tell them that only God truly knows who is saved and who is not. I tell them that if their mother ever heard God's word, there's a possibility that she's in heaven. I tell them that becoming God's child isn't based on making a decision for Christ. I tell them that what's important now is their own spiritual state.