• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Oh look! Its a floating mod hat!!! (Please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone :wave:,

Most of you are fairly familiar with the ED Forum rules. These include both the regular site rules and what has been agreed on previously by the members who post here. A little over a year ago everybody was asked what they wanted the rules to be for this forum and an overwhelming number of people said that no numbers that relate to weight or height should be allowed and I’d like to explain this a little now.

Numbers such as height and weight can be either a blessing or a curse for the other members in here. For those who struggle with disorders such as anorexia and bulimia, any listed numbers can be an extreme trigger – a trigger being something that encourages or causes a person to relapse with their ED behaviour. In all honesty, comparing weights and competing against others is no way to help yourself or other people in this struggle.

On the other hand, listing weights can help those whose disordered eating causes them to over-eat, and this needs to be taken into account as well.

So what do we do? I know many of you who post in here and I have no doubts that the last thing anyone wants to do is cause another person to relapse or to make recovery harder. That’s not what we’re here for! Instead, the ED forum now has a filter that replaces digits (1, 2, 3) and the abbreviations for pounds and kilograms (lbs and kg) with '#'. If this happens to your post please read through it to see if anything you wrote could be a trigger - if mods come across triggers or '#' you can be asked to edit your post. Alternatively, your post may be edited for you and when this is the case you are more than welcome to change it to something more appropriate later on (providing it's not a trigger). If you are a person who over-eats and need to post your weight/weight loss, it would be a great idea to do it in the Weight Loss forum, or, for women, there is a subforum in Women's Discussion instead.

In general, please be mindful of our other members when you post. Will what you write trigger someone else? If you’re not sure, please put **possible trigger** in the title, or even PM it to one of the Recovery Staff and ask them to check it first :). We aren’t here to cause our friends to stumble, but instead to encourage one another on the road to recovery.

Your comments and suggestions are more than welcome – this forum is, after all, for you, and this rule was agreed on by members first. So if you have anything to say...say it! ;)

Thanks my friends :hug:.

Steffi
Supervisor
Recovery Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reminder, Steffi. :hug::hug: Good post. I don't believe that I've anything else to add, except that I think that for me personally, no numbers is the best thing. Even if it is weight loss numbers from someone who has trouble with being overweight/over-eating and are really good news, they can trigger me. :sorry:

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Speaking as a member, not as staff...

I agree with your post Steffi and I am glad you made this thread. It is difficult with ED's because what can be wonderful and exciting news for one person, can be extremely triggering for another. We could try to compromise by putting weight digits in spoiler tags, or warnings on the threads, but who would we be kidding? I know at least a handful of members would not be able to resist taking a peek (me included).

I think no digits is the best way to go. For those of you trying to lose weight healthily because you are overweight, there is the Weight Loss forum, so we are not neglecting you! I think it works out well for everyone. It's often a fine line between triggering and non-triggering. We need to remember that something that might not trigger you at all in the slightest, might be a huge trigger for someone else.

I have sent my posts to Recovery staff before and they have been so helpful and so kind with letting me know if it's acceptable or not, and if not, what I need to change. It doesn't take long either, as most of them seem to be online a lot *cough* Steffi *cough* ^_^

Anyway, I am blabbering now.
I voice my support for the no-digits rule.
:swoon:
(I just wanted to use the smiley)

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the reminder, Steffi. Good post. I don't believe that I've anything else to add, except that I think that for me personally, no numbers is the best thing. Even if it is weight loss numbers from someone who has trouble with being overweight/over-eating and are really good news, they can trigger me.
April, I get exactly what you're saying hun and it's the reason of numbers being such a trigger that we want to inforce the removal on here. But because we're not always online the numbers posted will always be visible for at least a short while.

Guys, if you ever see numbers posted, report them and if numbers trigger you, close the window and a mod will get to it as soon as they can. Everybody can help to keep the forums safe!
Thanks Steffi
Although the content was serious, you have a great way of bringing a smile to my day with your ingenious titles!
* jumps in the air trying to catch the floating hat!*
Lol Lisa, I'm glad you liked the title! I'll try to think of more ingenious ones next time :D.
Speaking as a member, not as staff...

I agree with your post Steffi and I am glad you made this thread. It is difficult with ED's because what can be wonderful and exciting news for one person, can be extremely triggering for another. We could try to compromise by putting weight digits in spoiler tags, or warnings on the threads, but who would we be kidding? I know at least a handful of members would not be able to resist taking a peek (me included).

I think no digits is the best way to go. For those of you trying to lose weight healthily because you are overweight, there is the Weight Loss forum, so we are not neglecting you! I think it works out well for everyone. It's often a fine line between triggering and non-triggering. We need to remember that something that might not trigger you at all in the slightest, might be a huge trigger for someone else.

I have sent my posts to Recovery staff before and they have been so helpful and so kind with letting me know if it's acceptable or not, and if not, what I need to change. It doesn't take long either, as most of them seem to be online a lot *cough* Steffi *cough*

Anyway, I am blabbering now.
I voice my support for the no-digits rule.
:swoon:
(I just wanted to use the smiley)
Lol, thanks for...um...not volunteering me Kate ^_^. Actually, I try to be online as much as I can, but I'm currently working full time...and I leave for Germany in 20 days! I'll still be around as much as I can, just maybe not 29 hours a day ;).
Who needs to bump a floating mod hat? Blow it and it floats back to the top :p.

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private