Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I completely approve of the definitions (including Dave's changes).

I also agree that Tiiven should be recorded (though to be completely honest, I haven't a clue if I was involved in that .... darn my terrible memory).... Maybe a reminder would help?

~Star

How can you forget the thread in which Sathria and Asha met? :cry: Sathria blew out a door, pummeling Asha with wooden shrapnel then Asha joined the quest to help Aria get her kingdom back from her evil stepfather, or was it her father? Am I the one forgetting Tiiven? :scratch: Mmmmmmm.... It's been a long time.

I agree with the definitions Sam has given above.

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

Was Tiiven when Sathria met Asha??? Geeze...I've got the Dory Symdrome I swear!

And that, dearest Sam, is why we're voting you as Chairman because Erwin will grant you mod-status and YOU will be able to add a section for Christia information with links to each race, region, and major historical events.

:) See, we've got it covered. We just need to finalize the voting with the rest of the people who still need to vote and we can PM Erwin to mod-ify Sam...

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok guys, I've finished two samples for the tales of Christia. These are of course describing Sir Cornelius' expulsion and Lord Kiva's exploits in Laurealda. They're a bit long, so I'll cut them out and post them elsewhere once they've been approved.

The Tragic Expulsion of Sir Cornelius

"Very well then, class." a man dressed in flowing, elegant golden and green robes said in a somewhat stuffy old voice. He walked over to his desk from where he stood, near the front of a stage before an auditorium of eager young mana-wielders. The man limped slightly, grimacing as his knee began to protest from the strain it had endured in the man's unnaturally long life. But at long last, he reached his chair and sat down, relief plain as day on his heavily wrinkled face as he ran a hand through his long, unruly gray whisps of hair.

"Thank you all for your work today. This was a most productive lesson. ... Are there any questions before you are dismissed for the day?"

A few students sighed in quiet frustration, as they certainly didn't want to stay and listen to the especially bookish students ask simple questions that would earn them an extra 20 minutes of lecturing. But most students who didn't want to learn more on the side had been separated out by now. After all, this was an advanced class, and their teacher, Archmage Gerald Rodrigal of the Golden Oak, was a master if there ever was.

"Yes, Eleanor." the Archmage called out, pointing to the tall and lanky young Elven woman who sat a bit closer to the front. She had a hand raised, slightly rough from all the work she did tinkering with golems or concocting the mixtures necessary for mixing new elixer or potion forms of the spells they were taught. Eleanor quickly lowered her hand, placing it back in her lap, and asked,

"Master Rodrigal, it is not that I wish to change my specialization in golemn-crafting; quite the opposite, I have become even MORE intrigued after today's class on reanimation and mending spells... but I am curious."

She seemed nervous, and the Archmage scowled quizzically as he sat up in his chair and waved his hand. "Yes? Go on... do not be afraid to ask."

Eleanor chewed her lip, knowing that this school of mana was surely not taught here for a reason, but she had to know. Her hunger for knowledge won out in the end, and she asked, "Master... I heard a traveller from Sal Kadedin in town last month, and today's subject material reminded me of what I overheard. He was speaking to another man about... about raising the dead, sir."

The Archmage's bushy brows rose sharply, and his eyes went wide as he leaned forward, gripping his armrests tightly. "Eleanor, what makes you wonder about so terrible a practice? Only El Elyon himself has the power to restore that life which he has taken away."

But he knew what Eleanor asked of. And he feared it. And just as he feared, the curious student continued on. "He spoke of something different... of using the dead's bodies to construct a servant, much like we do with minerals to form golems and other constructs. I know our constructs are better and stronger than mere human bone and flesh... but..."

"But what, child?" Rodrigal asked, his brows furrowing as his expression became even more sour.

The student hesitated, fearful of his bad mood, but would not fall silent on him now. "Why do we not use it? It is efficient... it does not require mining of stone, or smelting of ore. We need only use the limitless supply of dead bodies to construct our servants."

Those who didn't want to stay were enthralled now. The Archmage sighed deeply, sitting in deep thought as he scratched his chin... which he noted that he needed to shave when he was a bit less distressed.

"It seems I need to give you all a brief lesson in history, class." Rodrigal announced. "You ask a fair question. I will not deny that. For the answer lies within my own order, I fear. Necromancy, or the enslaving of the dead, is practiced only by dark and evil wizards. Mana, that pure resource which we employ, is not their source of power. Rather, they use the magicks of the unknown arcane, which is of course in the realm of demons and evil spirits. But despite this, there was once an Archmage of the Brotherhood of the Golden Oak who asked your same question.

His name was Sir Cornelius Godric Pellinore... you may ask why you never hear that name today, and that's without a doubt because of the fact that he was the last of his line. He was, like many of you, an outstanding student. He was an original member of the Brotherhood, and greatly respected. It is a shame that all of the good he did is now for nought..."

Pausing only for a moment, Rodrigal continued on. "Cornelius' lust for power was great. He wanted only to serve good with it... as so many do... but it is said that good intentions make up the stones in the road to Hell. It is quite true in his case, for he delved into that dark school of Magic. Cornelius fell in love with the efficiency that has you so fascinated, Eleanor. He was tempted by the lure of eternal life on this earth, and the power over the dead and their limitless numbers. He fell prey to it, and it is my sincere hope that you will not.

For you see, my pupils... Even though Cornelius did so in secret, his old colleagues learned of his heresy. They knew that if he was allowed to continue studying it, his heart would be corrupted, and they intervened. Imagine, if you will, ANY archmage who suddenly turns upon humanity. The results would be disastrous... and so they were, children. It seems to us that the original Brotherhood was too late, for Cornelius employed a terrifying storm of destructive magic when he was taken captive and held by the Church. The very cathedral in which he was held was reduced to rubble, as was much of the surrounding town. Hundreds died, and a line was carved through home and shop as the madman made his escape. He cared more for Necromancy and his freedom to study it than anything else at this point... even the lives of his fellow man, or for his own immortal soul."

The class was silent and in awe for the most part. Many were in disbelief that something like this could ever happen, but they had learned to trust the wisened old Archmage. Of course, the question on everyone's mind was clear; it just took a while for someone to ask, "So... Master Rodrigal, who finally stopped him?"

Rodrigal looked up, scowling darkly in the magelight lamps that lit the auditorium, the weary lines on his face clearer than ever as he gruffly replied, "To our knowledge, Sir Cornelius is still out there."

A young mage raised his hand and protested, "But sir! That cannot be possible! Yes, those well-trained in Mana can legthen their lives, but it must have been over 500 years ago when the Brotherhood was founded!"

The Archmage laughed humorlessly and shook his head in pity. "My child... I have said it once already. Cornelius abandoned Mana. He is a Necromancer, and he was before he was even captured. Last we saw the old heretic, he was but a skeleton in his old robes and a set of black armor. A terrifying sight to behold, I hear. Just remember, class. Necromancy is real... and it is a real DANGER. No man can wield it without sinning and endangering the state of his soul, or the purity of his heart. Stay away from it, and leave the dead as God put them. For Sir Cornelius and the many mana-wielders he has seduced to this most black of the black arts are strong reminders that it IS easy to succumb to. Guard your hearts, class. Oh, and... if you ever see a dead man walking before you graduate, you'd be wise to run. Even afterwards, running is still a good idea. After all... Sir Cornelius is not the only Undead magician out there, nor is he the oldest or most powerful. The Undead rarely travel alone, and Undead sorcerers have likely been training longer than you have been alive. Try to square off with one, class... and you're as good as UNdead."

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An Account of Laurealda's Darkest Hour, or The War of the Encroaching Darkness

From the journal of Elven scribe, Nillonde Yurian; a poem, translated from the Failamar tongue into Common:

What joy! What triumph! Let the trees sing out, and the leaves glow with their majestic golden light once more!

For evil is purged from Laurealda, and Death's icy hand is shattered.

What mourning! What sorrow! Too many voices are absent, and the Failamar have lost their luster.

For we were too late to stop the blade of Anserak that is buried in our shoulder, nor save our bones from the crushing might of the Death Knight's greave.

From the battle report of Belig Moonhelm, Captain of the capital's guard:

This battle is won, and Laurealda defended from another threat. We should be celebrating, but we find little joy in what is left of our homeland. Yes, it will grow back, and yes, we will rebuild and repopulate, but this great shock to us shall be forever branded within our minds.

This great terror, this darkness that encroached upon our lands did so as but a silent shadow in the early days of the war; only a few months ago, we believe. An army of scum of the earth, barbarians of the plains or the frigid north, and the detestable Greenskins of Anserak lumbered into our sacred wood and desecrated it. Our trees were burnt after being used against us to lay in waiting, and our homes housed enemy soldiers once they had raped, enslaved, or killed their inhabitants.

Our riches now line the pockets of those wretches fortunate enough to escape our vengeful wrath; thankfully few they are. They ravaged our forest, carving a straight road to the capital city itself. Defeat was unknown to them, and so they grew proud. Long was that decisive battle, though none of us knew how long this terror had already dwelt in our midst, or just how many other cities it had besieged.

They sent raving barbarians and savage Orcs to storm our walls, armed with ladders and stout rams with which they battered our gates. Our archers impaled many of them, but the tide seemed endless at first. As the gates were thrown open, our army tried to force its way through and route the disorganized enemy, but our skill was proving to be no match for their strength and fury.

But that strength and fury so bestial finally whithered away by my hand. I slew one of their champions, a Half Orc known as Sir Burtarg. He led the charge into the city, and after hours of fighting I met him and settled my steel into his cruel, blackened heart. His dark, surely venomous blood coated and killed the emerald grass beneath our feet, and all stood silent in shock and awe for that moment as he fell from my blade.

The rabble fought on, some enraged, but most disheartened by their champion's fall. It was then made clear that death itself was our enemy, when the other Black Knight, known only as Lord Kiva, was run through by a human warrior when the reinforcements arrived without warning.

When word spread amongst the enemy and our men alike, I was shocked as any to learn that Lord Kiva had been wounded, but fought on as if unharmed. When an ancient, unholy sorcerer, a Lich, strode onto the battlefield and began to lay waste to Elf and Man alike with his profane magicks, we suddenly realized just WHAT this man, this Death Knight was.

We won out in the end. Our numbers and zeal for King and Country won out and triumphed over their lust for money and blood. The Lich was shattered, his bones beaten to dust, and the Death Knight was shackled down by many men, who insisted he be taken back to attone for his crimes.

We left the Men to do as they pleased with Lord Kiva. After all, he had once been one of them. We were more than content to be left to mourn our dead and survey the wounded forest that had been left in Darkness' wake.

We will rebuild. We will be strong once again. And whether Lord Kiva lives or dies, or the Lich returns from the dead, no evil shall prevail in Laurealda. Let this victory stand as a warning to any who should seek to desecrate the sanctity of our wood!

An El Elyon! O menel aglar Galadhremmin! ((roughly translated: Oh El Elyon, from the firmament the glory of the tree-tangled wood))

Upvote 0

sampson x

Supreme Commander of the Paralytic Army
Dec 21, 2004
Indiana
✟5,603.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Looks like great stuff, PD. These should definitely go into the Annals when we make them. Is this the topic that we want to delve into next? Or is there something more pressing? This is the list I made of pressing matters on the first page, but it can be ammended, as it already has.

1. Rules/regulations for Committee Completed
a. Terms of members Completed
b. Method for approval of members Completed
c. Methods for doing business within the thread Completed
d. Responsibilities of members Completed
2. Set the cultural background for countries in Christia
3. Designate the rules regarding the use of magic Completed
4. Designate the rules regarding the use of technology
5. Gather a comprehensive history of Christia
6. Make a listing of all orders/nobility in Christia

Would we like to work on point5? Or should we attend to matters 2 and 4 first?

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

To set the cultural background, we'd have to set the historical groundwork first.

History shapes culture just as much as culture shapes history. We'd have to do them both at the same time, starting from the ground up with ALL the countries at once.

This country was once called this. This region was once all part of one Empire. Wars and cold wars, arranged marriages and quiet feuds, consistant pillaging led to the construction of a great wall or the location of certain cities. Underground tunnels were built to seige a city, not convience it.

I could litterally go on.

Point being, all of these should be considered as part of the culture building experience.

~Star

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Rules/regulations for Committee Completed
a. Terms of members Completed
b. Method for approval of members Completed
c. Methods for doing business within the thread Completed
d. Responsibilities of members Completed
2. Set the cultural background for countries in Christia
3. Designate the rules regarding the use of magic Completed
4. Designate the rules regarding the use of technology
5. Gather a comprehensive history of Christia
6. Make a listing of all orders/nobility in Christia

I think 4 should be the priority. Both 2 and 5 will be affected by this, not vice versa. Also, 6 falls into the categories of 2 and 5 themselves. This can be handled by those persons who have already volunteered to take on the history of individual nations, I would list orders/nobility for Peria, for instance. Suggestions should be welcome, of course. Which reminds me...

Dave, great story on Sir Cornelius! Really enjoyed it. I do have some pertinent facts about the Brotherhood, however, but your pm box is full.

Regarding the use of technology. We really need to determine what comparable era Christia falls into related to Earth history. Meaning this, we need some point of reference. Is Christia going to be like our Dark Ages, the Renaissance, some other age? I would recommend the early Renaissance. Firearms were extremely rare, even cannons were not used very much. I like the idea of siege weapons and a more "chivalrous" time period.

Upvote 0

dramaking

All the World's a Stage....
Feb 13, 2005
✟13,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think 4 should be the priority. Both 2 and 5 will be affected by this, not vice versa. Also, 6 falls into the categories of 2 and 5 themselves. This can be handled by those persons who have already volunteered to take on the history of individual nations, I would list orders/nobility for Peria, for instance. Suggestions should be welcome, of course. Which reminds me...

Dave, great story on Sir Cornelius! Really enjoyed it. I do have some pertinent facts about the Brotherhood, however, but your pm box is full.

Regarding the use of technology. We really need to determine what comparable era Christia falls into related to Earth history. Meaning this, we need some point of reference. Is Christia going to be like our Dark Ages, the Renaissance, some other age? I would recommend the early Renaissance. Firearms were extremely rare, even cannons were not used very much. I like the idea of siege weapons and a more "chivalrous" time period.
I must say I prefer middle Renaissance. A little earlier than the Golden Age, but not the early part.

The "chivalrous" time period was more in the Renaissance (since the Dark Ages were not a very developed place, and what we think of as the chivalrous age, A product of Malory mostly, was based on his age, which was the early Rennaissance.)
I would prefer a place a little a little bit ahead of that time, and I think the reasons are apparent.

Upvote 0

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, the Middle Ages, or Medeival times, were the Age of Chivalry. There weren't any firearms there, with a very few, rare, Oriental exceptions. I put the term 'chivalrous' in quotes because it was actually an extremely violent and still quite a dark time between the Dark Ages and the beginning of the Renaissance.

Upvote 0

dramaking

Feb 13, 2005
✟13,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, the Middle Ages, or Medeival times, were the Age of Chivalry. There weren't any firearms there, with a very few, rare, Oriental exceptions. I put the term 'chivalrous' in quotes because it was actually an extremely violent and still quite a dark time between the Dark Ages and the beginning of the Renaissance.
I still hold to my argument against medieval. We don't play it that way now, Ember has technology not found until the END of the Renaissance, we have ships not found until after the rennaissance (albeit only be elves), I don't see why we need the facade of this being a medieval world any more, when we play it very much middle Rennaissance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not suggesting we bring the Middle Ages, Dark Ages or Renaissance into Christia. I am merely suggesting we use one of those as a point of reference. We need to establish rules for technology, that will be helpful in this task. The rules for technology cannot be retroactive, of course, but we can move on from this point. Just as great technology was lost from the Roman Age and from Egypt after the library at Alexandria was burned so could technology used in Christia times past have been lost.

Upvote 0

dramaking

Feb 13, 2005
✟13,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am not suggesting we bring the Middle Ages, Dark Ages or Renaissance into Christia. I am merely suggesting we use one of those as a point of reference. We need to establish rules for technology, that will be helpful in this task. The rules for technology cannot be retroactive, of course, but we can move on from this point. Just as great technology was lost from the Roman Age and from Egypt after the library at Alexandria was burned so could technology used in Christia times past have been lost.
I agree, we were disagreeing about where to put the frame of reference.

Upvote 0

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I still hold to my argument against medieval. We don't play it that way now, Ember has technology not found until the END of the Renaissance, we have ships not found until after the rennaissance (albeit only be elves), I don't see why we need the facade of this being a medieval world any more, when we play it very much middle Rennaissance.

I disagree. While your characters might be based in mid-Renaissance there are several others who are not. Where in the Ren do you find full plate armor being worn by warriors? Where do they use halberds and huge two handed swords? Only the Swiss Guard at the Vatican, who still do, by the way. We have characters using varying levels of armor and weaponry which range from anywhere from 1066, or earlier, all the way through the Renaissance. Now, perhaps we don't have to limit the technology to the use of just one time period. This is fantasy after all, but we need to set a cut off date. A time of technological advancement that we will not cross. I personally don't think a magical Rel-Gun should have been allowed in Ember. I don't think there should be anything that goes beyond the early Renaissance. In short, I want to keep small firearms out of it. I'd love to keep cannons out of it if we can.

For me, gunpowder takes some of the romance out of a fantasy storyline. They are "clumsy and random" as a wise person once said. Using firearms takes too much away from the writer, it's too tempting to blast things away brutishly rather than fence them away with finesse. Some might argue that the use of mana or magic does the same thing. I don't think so. There has to be a thought process, a flow in writing, that must be followed to effectively portray the use of mana or magic. To write the use of firearms is as simple as pointing and shooting itself. Besides, with our "no killing others' characters" rules they are virtually useless anyway, nothing more than flamboyant noisemakers.

As for the ships, that's easy. There were large ships around in the early Ren, they just weren't called galleons. Coasters and caravels can be the largest ships used. Galleons and race-built galleons were natural evolutions of these ships anyway.

Upvote 0

sampson x

Supreme Commander of the Paralytic Army
Dec 21, 2004
Indiana
✟5,603.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Okay, so we're focusing on technological basis first, then we'll move on to the other stuff. Sounds good.

Okay, here's a list of things I think should never show up, then we can move down from there, right?

Nuclear technology-duh! But it is funny to think of
Knowledge of actual elements-should still be at the advanced fire-water-air-things, I think.
Non-magically-aided flight
Guns that shoot more than once and anywhere near accurately- crude things would work, though.
Use of Petroleum products as fuel- Ember is the most advanced city in Christia, and it uses "FireWater" as a weapon only.
Machines that do more than a simple task- one-step machines would probably exist, but nothing more complex than that.

Okay, that's all I got. Sadly, I do not have a good knowledge of when technology comes into play. Like many people, I just go by general impressions for what kind of technology should be used, but some may be tempted to push the limits.

WOF or Drama, would one of you be willing to write the proposal for this?

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

We should also consider the knowledge base they should have of all the sciences (astronomy (or astrology if that's their cup of tea), physics, medical practices, wildlife, mathematics (Loc's characters), etc).

Many technologies not only are built by the advancement of sciences, but are encouraged by such sciences by their needs.

Take for example the spray bottle. Simple little thing that didn't get invented until the very first Star Trek series who needed Dr. McCoy to having something nifty to squirt people's sicknesses away.

When there's a need, there will eventually be a machine.

~Star

Upvote 0