Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it gives us a glimpse into a possible subculture of policing that is not what we want from public servants. It should break a public servant's heart that any citizen would perish as they fulfill their duty. To make light of it, as these officers have done, shows a disconnect between the officers and those they were sworn to serve, to say the least.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3 Aurora officers fired over photos depicting choke hold near Elijah McClain memorial

This is really sad. Please pray.

(update) I totally misunderstood this news article. I did not think the guy that died was black and he was. And they were depicting a chokehold. Shows how intelligent I am. This death was a long time ago. They were just mocking his death and that is why they got fired.

So, I had to change the title.
It wasn't that long ago, we had a thread about it just recently. This young man shouldn't have died. It was a terrible tragedy and many people are really upset about it.
So thanks for posting this article.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't that long ago, we had a thread about it just recently. This young man shouldn't have died. It was a terrible tragedy and many people are really upset about it.
So thanks for posting this article.

Thank you for letting me know.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think it gives us a glimpse into a possible subculture of policing that is not what we want from public servants. It should break a public servant's heart that any citizen would perish as they fulfill their duty. To make light of it, as these officers have done, shows a disconnect between the officers and those they were sworn to serve, to say the least.

I agree

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My wife knows the wife of a police officer that shot and killed a black man. When the wife asked her husband how he felt, he replied “It was nothing. It was like stepping on a bug”.

this was related to my wife not as “see how my husband is a callous human being”, but as “see how brave my husband is”.

There seems to be an empathy problem within police departments...

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My wife knows the wife of a police officer that shot and killed a black man. When the wife asked her husband how he felt, he replied “It was nothing. It was like stepping on a bug”.

this was related to my wife not as “see how my husband is a callous human being”, but as “see how brave my husband is”.

There seems to be an empathy problem within police departments...

Wow

I don't know how to respond to that. That is really sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be an empathy problem within police departments.

It's hard for people who have a great deal of empathy to survive in police departments, unless they find some way of keeping a lid on it. Police officers see a great deal of horrific stuff.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard for people who have a great deal of empathy to survive in police departments, unless they find some way of keeping a lid on it. Police officers see a great deal of horrific stuff.

Training and the overall culture within an organisation has a lot to do with how people in that organisation deal with stress and other challenges.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I had a cop for a tenant once. Her screensaver (I was in the house with her consent, of course) was some scene of obvious police brutality. Even if the events on screen were justified.... the idea that youd celebrate it was disturbing. And she was a perfectly decent person. I attribute it to the culture of policing generally. Just a little anecdote.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Cops often suffer from poor mental health, they may even come into the force with mental health issues. All those things distract them from or obscure their mission as it reduces their capacity to experience empathy and connect with the people they have a duty to serve.

I read an article recently that talked about mindfulness training as an antidote to implicit bias, and I could definitely see a benefit to that.

Can meditation reduce implicit bias? How mindfulness may be an important step for individual reflection

A well-known meditation teacher in the humanistic Buddhist community in the US, Cheri Maples, was herself a police officer and shared her instruction with fellow police officers as a tool to help people develop more connection with other people and to deal positively with stress. The Ven. Thitch Nhat Hanh also wrote a short book on the subject, partly in response to having her as a student. It is called Keeping the Peace.

https://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Peace-Mindfulness-Public-Service/dp/1888375485

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That’s nice those three complete wastes of carbon have at least been fired. Now maybe they can go get respectable jobs.

That won’t do anything to fix the culture of policing that created them, unfortunately. That’s going to require real change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums