Los Angeles
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have recently moved in with my mother in law and she has a room mate. The room mate is a nice enough guy, but some of the things he says really gets under my skin. I have tried to be the bigger person and just let is go in one ear and out the other. However, there are some things that he has said such as "I know God is going to be mad at me but I did it any way" and when he gets upset he says "Jesus Christ" in a negative connotation this is the one that really gets me. How should I go about telling him I do not appreciate him saying such things? I do not want him to get upset but at the same time I feel like as a Christian I should defend our Lord and Savior. What do I do?

• Prayers
Reactions: devin553344

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have recently moved in with my mother in law and she has a room mate. The room mate is a nice enough guy, but some of the things he says really gets under my skin. I have tried to be the bigger person and just let is go in one ear and out the other. However, there are some things that he has said such as "I know God is going to be mad at me but I did it any way" and when he gets upset he says "Jesus Christ" in a negative connotation this is the one that really gets me. How should I go about telling him I do not appreciate him saying such things? I do not want him to get upset but at the same time I feel like as a Christian I should defend our Lord and Savior. What do I do?
You didn't mention why you moved in with your MIL, and that may be the decider of your course of action.
If you are there to help her, you have some 'pull'.
If you are there so she can help you, you have no 'pull".
Either way, if she tolerates him...plan on moving.
In the mean time, after any good thing happens to you or those you love say..."Thanks be to God!", or..."Thank you Jesus!".
This will show where your loyalties are.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You shouldn't say anything. I would address your own feelings and let it be. It sounds like you are the guest, not the other way around :(

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a similar situation - co-workers using "Jesus Christ" as a a way of swearing almost. It really bugs me and I want to say something. Since one guy is younger than me I think I could probably have some success asking him, but the people older than me I doubt they'd ever stop.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a similar situation - co-workers using "Jesus Christ" as a a way of swearing almost. It really bugs me and I want to say something. Since one guy is younger than me I think I could probably have some success asking him, but the people older than me I doubt they'd ever stop.
You won't know till you try.
Have faith that God has put you exactly where He needs you to be.
If you eat lunch with them, take a few seconds before eating to silently thank God, in Jesus' name, for your goodies.
They may notice and ask you about it.
We haven't been given a Spirit of fear, but of boldness!

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This scripture comes to mind regarding this trial of yours:

2 Timothy 2:24

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you do say something about taking the Lord's name in vain, you can same something benign like 'Can you please find some other way to swear. ' so that he will know its not so much the swearing as it is those specific words.

Upvote 0

Jacksy

Sep 22, 2019
Los Angeles
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You didn't mention why you moved in with your MIL, and that may be the decider of your course of action.
If you are there to help her, you have some 'pull'.
If you are there so she can help you, you have no 'pull".
Either way, if she tolerates him...plan on moving.
In the mean time, after any good thing happens to you or those you love say..."Thanks be to God!", or..."Thank you Jesus!".
This will show where your loyalties are.

Moving in is an intermediate thing for me. Until we can buy a house. I like the advice you gave about Thanking God and Jesus when good things happen. Thank you for the advice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This isn't your house so you can't really say anything very much. :/ You could say that using the Lords name as a swear word bothers you and could he use something else as a request, but that is about it.
How is your relationship with your MIL? If it's good maybe talk to her about it, but I assume as it's her friend that it doesn't bother her.
Pray.

You won't know till you try.
Have faith that God has put you exactly where He needs you to be.
If you eat lunch with them, take a few seconds before eating to silently thank God, in Jesus' name, for your goodies.
They may notice and ask you about it.
We haven't been given a Spirit of fear, but of boldness!

Is a really good answer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would just let him know once (tactfully) that it bothers you. If he doesn't change then you just have to pray for strength to remain calm when it happens.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would give the matter to the Lord and continue to treat him with love and kindness. Oftentimes people alter their behavior as a result of our conduct. Not because we asked.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How long do you intend staying there?
Are you prepared to ask challenging questions?

The simplist thing is next time he blasphems ask him not to as you find it offensive.
If he talks about it remember the why+what questions.
Why do you believe that? What evidence do you have for that belief?
Just be sure you can answer those questions yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,021.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I understand how you feel, but the truth is the home is as much his as yours. Maybe after awhile, if you build up a friendship you could nicely ask hm not to say such things. Or, let's say he finds something you do or say that is offensive. It could happen. In that case you could play Let's Make A Deal and say, "Hey, howzabout I quit that, and then I would really appreciate it if you could quit something for me, too..."

Upvote 0