Florida
✟2,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those were little channel cats. I used to catch my limit, but I only catch what I'm gonna eat now. I can pretty much go fishing anytime. So I don't save a freeze fish that much. Look up lake Talquin in tallahassee. I fish here a lot too.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Those were little channel cats. I used to catch my limit, but I only catch what I'm gonna eat now. I can pretty much go fishing anytime. So I don't save a freeze fish that much. Look up lake Talquin in tallahassee. I fish here a lot too.
Pretty place and reminds me of Long creek where I was born and raised. Well you have some fine eatin there :D

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Awesome job. Love those bream and blue channels :]
The reason why I would like to fish for catfish and bream is because they make good tasty food. I actually had catfish on an Amtrak train going to New York City. Catfish don t really taste that bad at all.
My dad and I are considering to start fishing again as a hobby. However, I live in the extreme South Florida, which has a fully tropical climate, and Catfish range starts in Central Florida. With that being said, while there are bream and largemouth bass in most of the many freshwater lakes, rivers and canals in South Florida, including a canal that goes through a lake not to far from my home, the freshwater fish that mostly dominate in South Florida are Peacock bass, Mayan Cichilds, and Oscars. These fish are invasive tropical freshwater fish introduced from South America, Cuba, and Central America. There are also invasive Tilapia from Africa in these canals. I know Tilapia are good fish to eat and I also read the Peacock Bass can be good quality fillet.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The reason why I would like to fish for catfish and bream is because they make good tasty food. I actually had catfish on an Amtrak train going to New York City. Catfish don t really taste that bad at all.
My dad and I are considering to start fishing again as a hobby. However, I live in the extreme South Florida, which has a fully tropical climate, and Catfish range starts in Central Florida. With that being said, while there are bream and largemouth bass in most of the many freshwater lakes, rivers and canals in South Florida, including a canal that goes through a lake not to far from my home, the freshwater fish that mostly dominate in South Florida are Peacock bass, Mayan Cichilds, and Oscars. These fish are invasive tropical freshwater fish introduced from South America, Cuba, and Central America. There are also invasive Tilapia from Africa in these canals. I know Tilapia are good fish to eat and I also read the Peacock Bass can be good quality fillet.
I agree catfish are good eating. Here is a pic of my buddies catfish that we caught last season. He caught it on a rod and reel and this is him holding it up. I couldn't net it as it was to big, So I bearhugged it and threw it in the boat. lol

Attachments

• IMG952017081495164752.jpg
    IMG952017081495164752.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice, I mainly fish in salt water, but have thought about getting into fresh water fishing again. There are tons of lakes and rivers here in the greater Tampa area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Nice, I mainly fish in salt water, but have thought about getting into fresh water fishing again. There are tons of lakes and rivers here in the greater Tampa area.
Seeing and fishing in the ocean is on my bucket list :] Perhaps one of these days

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Where I go fishing.
Remember the other day I posted here that I thought there weren't any, at least native catfish, in Miami? Well, today, when I fished at the canal I fish in, I caught a walking catfish with a piece of my Sausage McGriddle that I have left over. I used the pancake bun of the McGriddle as bait because it had a sweet pancake smell and taste. I saw the catfish was literally right under the culvert I was fishing at and at only about a foot of water. So I quietly used the pancake bun of the McGriddle as bait with a bobber, put it right near the catfish, and quickly but silently pulled up the slack.Then I saw the catfish approach my bait and as soon as it striked it, I hooked the catfish and it was splashing around for like a second. Then I immediately reeled it out of the water and I landed it. When I hooked it, it felt like a fight for only like a second before I even landed it because the fish was right under the culvert I was fishing on. And alas, my plan of catching the catfish with the piece of my Sausage and Egg McGriddle worked.
That catfish was also the first catfish I'll clearly remember catching in my life. I have caught some other fish when I was little. I was too young to remember, so I don't know if that's really true. But Dad told me I was scared of that fish when I caught it when I was very small.But this catfish that I caught today will be the first fish I ever caught in my life. And BTW, that catfish I caught is a walking catfish, which is introduced into South Florida from Asia, and the kind of catfish I see walking down puddles and rain streams when it rains so hard. I've wanted to keep it but my dad doesn't want to take the chance with the urban canal water, so we released the catfish after taking videos and pictures with it. But I've heard that in Asia, where this catfish species is from, it's a very popular tasty food.
View attachment 234008

Last edited:
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember the other day I posted here that I thought there weren't any, at least native catfish, in Miami? Well, today, when I fished at the canal I fish in, I caught a walking catfish with a piece of my Sausage McGriddle that I have left over. I used the pancake bun of the McGriddle as bait because it had a sweet pancake smell and taste. I saw the catfish was literally right under the culvert I was fishing at and at only about a foot of water. So I quietly used the pancake bun of the McGriddle as bait with a bobber, put it right near the catfish, and quickly but silently pulled up the slack.Then I saw the catfish approach my bait and as soon as it striked it, I hooked the catfish and it was splashing around for like a second. Then I immediately reeled it out of the water and I landed it. When I hooked it, it felt like a fight for only like a second before I even landed it because the fish was right under the culvert I was fishing on. And alas, my plan of catching the catfish with the piece of my Sausage and Egg McGriddle worked.
That catfish was also the first catfish I'll clearly remember catching in my life. I have caught some other fish when I was little. I was too young to remember, so I don't know if that's really true. But Dad told me I was scared of that fish when I caught it when I was very small.But this catfish that I caught today will be the first fish I ever caught in my life. And BTW, that catfish I caught is a walking catfish, which is introduced into South Florida from Asia, and the kind of catfish I see walking down puddles and rain streams when it rains so hard. I've wanted to keep it but my dad doesn't want to take the chance with the urban canal water, so we released the catfish after taking videos and pictures with it. But I've heard that in Asia, where this catfish species is from, it's a very popular tasty food.
View attachment 234008

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Upvote 0