• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD, Therapy, and Promises

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A reader writes:

Mr. Akin,

Thanks for the OCD articles you’ve posted. Your one on promises has been a site I’ve read and re-read many times as a comfort to know I’m not alone.

In your estimation, is it OK for one working through an exposure technique to purposely think, “No matter what I think, including ‘I promise,’ I’m going to ignore it and move on”?

In my case, when I thought “I promise”, I was thinking it as if directing it to God, as you would in prayer. I immediately regretted it . . . and in fact have replayed it in my head over and over to try to comfort myself, and worry I may have double-downed on my promise.

My worry being that it wasn’t a compulsion I could blame it on, but a conscious thought. I usually take a thought of “I promise” as meaning I need to give up things I enjoy for a day (coffee, etc.). And then the days compound.

Thanks for all the help; it really is comforting.

Thank you for writing. I believe I can be of help.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Its Treatment

For those who may not be aware, one of the most promising treatments for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder involves cognitive behavior therapy and, specifically, exposure and response prevention therapy.

In this treatment, a person with OCD is exposed to situations that can trigger his obsessive thoughts and then refrain from engaging in the compulsive behavior ritual that he normally uses to relieve the stress they cause.

He thus learns by experience that he doesn’t need to perform the compulsive rituals in order to deal with the thoughts that flit across his mind, and the OCD condition lessens over time.

While this therapy involves some initial stress, it has proved effective for many patients and is considered one of the best therapies for this condition.

Promises to God

Continued below.
OCD, Therapy, and Promises – Jimmy Akin

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have OCD and I went to this Quora site where people chat to each other like Facebook and Twitter. I asked questions and they give mixed answers. The mixed answers were negative and it intensified my anxiety so bad.
That can easily happen with OCD, because anything that seems to support our obsession sends us into a tailspin. What we usually don't realize is that when we're obsessing about a certain topic, our reasoning about the topic is distorted, so we aren't thinking clearly about it. That's why it's important to not research too much about our obsessive topic, because we'll take every "negative" response that supports our obsession and amplify it times 100. The goal for those of us with OCD, no matter our obsession, is to work on the OCD itself.

That being said, there is an online group (besides this one), that I recommend, which is specifically targeted to Christians with anxiety disorders and has many members with OCD. It's the Facebook group "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders." If you're interested in joining, the link is here: Christianity and Anxiety Disorders - Let's Talk

Upvote 0

Tytoman

Jul 21, 2020
Alpharetta
✟15,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need help please! I was watching a video about repeating sins and I was looking at the comments and saw someone wrote and I was reading in my head. “In Jesus’s name I..” I don’t want to type down The negative thing this person said about spirit. But my mind and thoughts were slipping acting on its ow. I paced the floor in my room repeating I accept Holy Spirit. The r word jumped in my head and I fought the r word. Moments later my OCD made me say I accept the Holy Spirit. Then this time inappropriate pictures slipped in my thinking process. The whole month of July has been a train wreck! I found out about willful sin. I had morning panic attacks. I don’t know what I am suppose to do or what to say! I have a inappropriate content and m addiction since middle school. I don’t know where to turn with all this worries and questions in my head fearing I have said something I don’t mean to say. And you know the worst feeling I have right now. I stopped watching inappropriate content and m for three weeks and relapsed back yesterday and today. Three weeks ago I felt like God was giving me a sign like Christmas Carol, telling me I should repent and confess that night I found out about willful sin. Now I feel like I blew my chance. I feel so broken!

Upvote 0

Vaseman

Mar 19, 2022
Atlantic
✟16,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
:hug:
I need help please! I was watching a video about repeating sins and I was looking at the comments and saw someone wrote and I was reading in my head. “In Jesus’s name I..” I don’t want to type down The negative thing this person said about spirit. But my mind and thoughts were slipping acting on its ow. I paced the floor in my room repeating I accept Holy Spirit. The r word jumped in my head and I fought the r word. Moments later my OCD made me say I accept the Holy Spirit. Then this time inappropriate pictures slipped in my thinking process. The whole month of July has been a train wreck! I found out about willful sin. I had morning panic attacks. I don’t know what I am suppose to do or what to say! I have a inappropriate content and m addiction since middle school. I don’t know where to turn with all this worries and questions in my head fearing I have said something I don’t mean to say. And you know the worst feeling I have right now. I stopped watching inappropriate content and m for three weeks and relapsed back yesterday and today. Three weeks ago I felt like God was giving me a sign like Christmas Carol, telling me I should repent and confess that night I found out about willful sin. Now I feel like I blew my chance. I feel so broken!

I understand exactly how you feel. Know that God knows you. He loves you. He doesn’t give up on you. God made a great Saint out of Saint Peter even after he willfully denied Christ. What you did was not willfully. Those are intrusive thoughts, thoughts that you don’t want, and God knows that. He knows you better than you know yourself. He LOVES you even more than you love yourself. He desires you in Heaven even more than you do. Put your Faith and hope in His love and His Divine Mercy. You should definitely read this article, it’ll help you out:
https://scrupulouscatholic.com/2021/06/08/scrupulosity-intrusive-thoughts/

For the inappropriate content and m, that is sin. But God is loving and abounding in mercy. He will forgive you.
God bless. I’ll be praying for you, Tytoman

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have OCD and I went to this Quora site where people chat to each other like Facebook and Twitter. I asked questions and they give mixed answers. The mixed answers were negative and it intensified my anxiety so bad.
If I were you,I’d strongly recommend you stay far away from Quora,it’s a destructive website full of people that’ll give mean,unprecedented,harsh,and cruel answers that’ll give you shiploads of anxiety.I know so because I too looked for biblical answers there,as a guest,not as a user,and often times gazed over atheists answers and they were tough to purge out.My brother I advise you to never go looking for answers there again.it’s too much trouble to bring upon yourself.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How have you been lately, Tytoman?

Upvote 0