• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  4. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  5. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  6. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

OCD problems with dirtiness.

Discussion in 'Obsessive Compulsive Disorder' started by SnowTiger, Oct 26, 2020.

1. SnowTiger

SnowTiger Well-Known Member Supporter

+907
    Christian
    Single
    Hi,

I’ve really been having a problem today. I think I have OCD as well as Schizophrenia. Basically, I’ve been having a big problem with worrying about dirt and cleanliness.

A series of events happened that has made me really upset. I feel like some of my clothes got dirty while they were drying outside. Well, I put those clothes in the dryer with all my other clothes and now I feel like everything is dirty. I’m paranoid that all my clothes are now dirty and I have to wear them and the whole thing is making me feel awful and disgusted. I’m not sure what I will do.

I will probably wear my clothes but won’t put them in my drawers so then I won’t feel like my drawers are contaminated with the dirt. The dirt isn’t visible, but it makes my skin crawl. I feel like I’m going to contaminate everything around the house by wearing dirty clothes.

Anyone have any advice? There is no visible dirt on the clothes, but it’s the thought of dirtiness that makes me feel nasty. Everything that touches the clothes feels dirty to me.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. justtrance

justtrance Dorcus

+151
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Libertarian
    Good evening friend! Do you have a doctor and counselor you can depend on for assistance with your mental health? There are therapy modalities that will help you manage.

Sun can also disinfect your clothes. The UV light can damage the DNA of the bacteria and microorganism, it can kill or stop their reproduction.

So, your clothes are cleaner than mine!

3. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,018
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    People living in poverty, in the sticks of third world countries, would thank God for the ability to wear clothes as clean as yours. They don't have the luxury of OCD concerning cleanliness. "If your hand offend you cut it off." Bite the bullet, don't let yourself be a slave to your OCD. This life is not about you, but about Christ.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. justtrance

justtrance Dorcus

+151
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Libertarian
    OCD is not a luxury! It's a health issue.

It can be handled by seeking God AND by utilizing the hands of professionals that God will certainly put into place to help.

Also, if your hand offend you... refers to sin... ocd is not a sin.

5. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,018
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    "If you hand offend you" applies to the seriousness of life --if Snow Tiger has this as a main focus in life, he/she needs to seriously deal with it, by whatever means, and overcome it.

6. Jaxxi

Jaxxi Servant

+257
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Do they smell dirty? Remember that we are blessed to have washers and dryers since back in the old days they washed their clothes in urine and imagine how they felt!! Rewash them if it is that bad and let them dry indoors hanging on the shower rod. That is what I do with mine and they smell great! It is when I hang them outside they smell like dirt.

7. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+6,347
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    It is best to fight the lies by ignoring them and not obeying the demands they make in your mind.

Clothes washed = clean, end of argument!

Factual truth is very important in a Christians life, especially when we suffer from a mental illness.

So no, don't give into your fears and feeling dirty just because your ill mind tells you so. You know better. You know they are clean, don't give room for doubt.

Ask Jesus to teach you to hold onto the truth. Very important, for believing lies always end up hurting God, you and your loved ones.

Peace.

8. Sal Robinson

Sal Robinson Member Supporter

+204
    Australia
    Baptist
    Single
    Praying for you Snow Tiger.....this thought pattern is going to inhibit the way you live your life

but I know these thoughts and beliefs seem so real, and I pray you find professional help or a good friend to articulate these beliefs....and by finding the root behind these beliefs...your eyes may open

I'll tell you a story.....I recently double checked things again and again and again...so much so it slowed me down in life

toook me a while to recognise that it was because i got fired for a mistake once where I failed to check something properly......so my fear was behind my fear of getting fired again

so there's a story to every belief

Find the story and you can make a new story....praying for you with all my heart friend

keep updated

you are not fighting this battle alone

you have our prayers!!!

9. Dendy

Dendy Newbie

+23
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Hey. I think it's the substance or whatever you fear could have touched the clothes that's making you afraid. Maybe we can help you overcome the fear of it. Was it just dirt? If it was just dirt of course absolutely you have nothing to fear!!!!!!! A lot of times I have to decide to just go on when things like that happen. I know it's hard. Bless your heart.

10. SnowTiger

SnowTiger Well-Known Member Supporter

+907
    Christian
    Single
    Thank you guys for all the help. I really appreciate it. I think that Mark Quayle is right. My clothes are definitely cleaner than someone's in a third world country. I'm going to try not to let the OCD get to me and just wear the clothes without worrying about them.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

11. Novis

Novis Newbie

+9
    Christian
    Single
    I would suggest taking this one step at a time. E.g. get used to wearing clothes you suspect are dirty before putting them with the others.

12. Leet

Leet Newbie

+293
    Pentecostal
    Married
    You need to ask your doc about some strong meds for OCD. That's what it is, and no amount of reasoning or scripture will make a difference.