• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD/Intrusive thouhgts - Helpful advice/resources THREAD

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
First identify the first thought in the string that you actively began "conversing with" as if it mattered.

Dismiss all connected thoughts to first instance.

Thoughts only have the power you give them, the key is finding something more worthwhile to pay attention to.

Since OCD is recursive in nature, consistency is key.

• Informative
Reactions: Z3AL
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OCD is like quicksand...the more you "fight" it, the more you sink and get stuck...so the question should be, how do we get "unstuck" so to speak?
Please post resources/advice that you find helpful in this thread.

Look up this link:-
International OCD Foundation | 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

point 4 dealy with not talking or arguing with intrusive thoughts but acknowledging and then ignoring them.

Read it several times and share/discuss with parents, friends, doctor etc so they know how to help you.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know anything about OCD but I do know about thoughts as we all have them. You should try putting Gods word into your mind.

Heb. 4/12 The word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword

It was Gods imperishable word that caused your life to be cleansed and renewed at salvation. 1Peter 1/23. If you fill your mind with Gods word it will continue that work. Find a verse that applies to your situation and fill your mind with it. Think on it roll it around in your mind. Thoughts and everything else has to give way to Gods word the same way your unregenerate nature did at salvation. Start doing that and you will notice a change. If you practice it when you're not having a problem it will help when you are.

Here is a verse to start with.
Isaiah 26/3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee.

• Winner
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi!, i had hammering intrusive thoughts that disturbed me greatly, after 'deliverance', i mean detecting and driving off an 'entity' those were gone forever, never had them again. I think this is already known by some christians that ocd is an spritual problem, i don't care what others may say i need to tell the truth, Jesus and his disciples dealt with spiritual issues all the time, a church that doesn't deal like the disciples did with these issues is doing something wrong.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OCD is like quicksand...the more you "fight" it, the more you sink and get stuck...so the question should be, how do we get "unstuck" so to speak?
Please post resources/advice that you find helpful in this thread.
Great analogy! OCD is very much like quicksand! I think one helpful thing is identifying what compulsions you're engaging in when you find yourself spinning your wheels (or sinking, to use your comparison). Then, force yourself to stop doing that action (even if it's a mental one!), and choose to do something else instead. Common compulsions include researching, asking for reassurance, ruminating/analyzing, trying to push intrusive thoughts away or cancel them out, repeatedly asking forgiveness for the same thing, etc.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Longer video but worth watching. He words things very well.

"Faith is not the absence of feeling uncertain. Faith is going through the uncertainty."

"OCD wants me to believe that uncertainty and doubt are dangerous. While uncertainty is uncomfortable, it is not dangerous, and I can tolerate it."

• Winner
Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

Hoping

Regaining My Faith :)
Mar 8, 2022
USA, Southeast
✟10,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The Lord's Prayer is comforting if you have thoughts of doing evil, since it directly asks God to deliver us from evil. It states our intention to not do those things.

As a 20-year sufferer from OCD, now almost completely free of it, I may have more to say when I've read the other posts on this thread. I just don't want to repeat what somebody else has said. :)

Edited to add: I just read the 25 points from the OCD website and that summarizes 80% or more of what I've learned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoping

Regaining My Faith :)
Mar 8, 2022
USA, Southeast
✟10,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
My further thoughts: the 2 videos are good too. I didn't finish listening to the long one, but it sounds good so far.

I think we can fight this religiously, which I do or did by the Lord's Prayer, and we can fight it by secular means, which is what the OCD Foundation and the videos cover, although the long video is partly religious or at least talks a lot about religion and the presenter is a pastor.

The OCD Foundation list was referring to the treatment known and Exposure and Response Prevention. Apparently it works well for the most people so it should probably be where you start. But it's very unpleasant at first, and it doesn't ALWAYS work, and it's hard to find a therapist who really knows how to do it. I had one who started out all wrong, telling me that OCD was lying to me. While probably true, that's not the point of exposure and response prevention at all and is counterproductive. I never went back to that therapist, and she was the only one in my area who claimed to treat OCD. So I just kept researching how to do it, and went through a lot of emotional pain, and improved my life, but there was still trouble. So I tried medication, and that knocked it out 95%, and I've been able to lower the dose a lot. Maybe if I had kept on with just the Exposure it would have kept improving things... and I think it works better for some people than it was working for me.

There are other methods of non-drug treatment; the pastor/counselor in the long video talks about at least one of them, ACT. That's Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, if I remember correctly. There's also DBT, another therapy plan. There's even TMS, transcranial magnetic stimulation. So there's a lot of hope, a lot of things to try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The "Is God Even Real?!" is supposed to be an OCD type of thought. Anyways, what impressed me with this video is how well his wife understands it. She says the version of God constructed by his OCD is cruel and spiteful and impossible to please. Which is opposed to his normal view of a loving, forgiving God. She is very insightful for apparently not having OCD herself and also compassionate with what he's going through.

Upvote 0