• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD and Prayer

Zeokas

Nov 10, 2019
Amelia
✟15,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have what I believe is diagnosed OCD. I have been dealing with it for a while now but I feel like it is getting worse.

I feel like the OCD is controlling my prayers. I am seeking advice to help me. I get stuck on certain points and repeat over and over again.

I pray for specifics, nstead of praying for everyone health or problems as a group there are certian people I sit there and list of their health issues/problems.

There are certain things I pray for that I feel like I over "explain" during my prayer. Example instead of praying for safe travel as I drive. I list of the specifics or over "explain" I feel as though I can't just say "Thank you lord for keeping me safe during my drive" Its more like I have to pray for thanks for all the times i wasn't paying attention if I may have swerved and so on.

Is it okay to not pray for specifics or to pray for people as a group? I feel like OCD is over taking my prayer and instead of having that open communication with GOD I feel like parts of my prayers are just fuilling my OCD needs.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have what I believe is diagnosed OCD. I have been dealing with it for a while now but I feel like it is getting worse.

I feel like the OCD is controlling my prayers. I am seeking advice to help me. I get stuck on certain points and repeat over and over again.

I pray for specifics, nstead of praying for everyone health or problems as a group there are certian people I sit there and list of their health issues/problems.

There are certain things I pray for that I feel like I over "explain" during my prayer. Example instead of praying for safe travel as I drive. I list of the specifics or over "explain" I feel as though I can't just say "Thank you lord for keeping me safe during my drive" Its more like I have to pray for thanks for all the times i wasn't paying attention if I may have swerved and so on.

Is it okay to not pray for specifics or to pray for people as a group? I feel like OCD is over taking my prayer and instead of having that open communication with GOD I feel like parts of my prayers are just fuilling my OCD needs.
I struggle with that too and I just want you to know that God is bigger than the ocd and Jesus loves you and God knows your heart. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Reactions: Zeokas
Upvote 0

Zeokas

Nov 10, 2019
Amelia
✟15,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is common for OCD. OCD has affected my prayer before, too. It's not necessary to pray something just because fear is telling us that we "have" to. Are you able to get any sort of help for your OCD?

right now I'm relatively new at my new job and don't have any kind of health insurance. But I want to seek care as soon as my health benefits are figured out.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
right now I'm relatively new at my new job and don't have any kind of health insurance. But I want to seek care as soon as my health benefits are figured out.
That might be a good idea. Sometimes it can be important to get medication or seek professional counseling in order to help get started on the process of dealing with your OCD. Regardless, though, there is SO much you can do to learn and apply strategies on your own. If you need links to helpful resources/websites, please let me know. There is definitely hope for living victoriously over OCD!

• Agree
Reactions: Zeokas
Upvote 0