Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In light of some new information, I think that it's appropriate to change the title to delete the "second."

It doesn't appear that Scott Olsen was injured by the police.
The truth about this latest incident will likely come out soon as well. This reminds me of Donald Rumsfeld when he said, "People who put themselves in dangerous situations, put themselves in dangerous situations." In this case, we have people creating dangerous situations for themselves and others, and typical of leftist theology, they want someone else to responsible when bad things happen

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Big deal, I'm a Vet, and I had the good sense enough to avoid a criminal protest, he didn't.

I'm not worried about it because I steer clear of the criminals from Occupy. This is just another story for the left to politicize.

Bingo. Give GQ Chris a dollar cigar and a $50 gift certificate to the store of his choice. :thumbsup:

He seems to have forgotten about the right of assembly, and due process and so on.

It wasn't a criminal assembly because of the assembly, it was a criminal assembly because of the vandalism, fires, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum et nauseam et absurdum. But of course you'll overlook that, because since you don't want it to have happened, ergo it never happened. Convenient, that.

Mach: if I may offer a small nugget of advice, it is useless to debate with people who adamantly insist that red is really green, even with the evidence staring them in the face. I have learned that trying to talk to these people regarding certain subjects (homosexuality, Occupy Wall Street, and anything that the Mighty Obama does, for example) is an exercise in futility. They don't get it, they won't get it, they can't get it, and they refuse to get it.

Best to simply keep buying ammunition and let them do their thing. Reconciliation with them is hopeless.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The truth about this latest incident will likely come out soon as well. This reminds me of Donald Rumsfeld when he said, "People who put themselves in dangerous situations, put themselves in dangerous situations." In this case, we have people creating dangerous situations for themselves and others, and typical of leftist theology, they want someone else to responsible when bad things happen

How is exercising their right to peacefully protest "creating dangerous situations"? The veteran was walking away peacefully before police attacked him.

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is exercising their right to peacefully protest "creating dangerous situations"? The veteran was walking away peacefully before police attacked him.

It doesn't matter because he isn't conservative. That's the problem. They disagree with the people protesting. It has nothing to do with anything beyond that. Waste of time trying to convince such people.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They weren't peacefully protesting. They were trying to shut the city down and the injured person part was party to it.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

In light of some new information, I think that it's appropriate to change the title to delete the "second."

It doesn't appear that Scott Olsen was injured by the police.

Scott Olsen injuries prompt review as Occupy Oakland protests continue | World news | guardian.co.uk
Oakland police confirmed at a press conference that they used tear gas and baton rounds, but said they did not use flash bang grenades. Police could not be reached for comment, but Finneburgh, who said he had been "present in many protests" where flash bang grenades had been used, said they had been deployed.
Finneburgh said he had returned to where Olsen had originally lain injured later in the evening, and close to a pool of blood had found a beanbag round, apparently fired by police. The controversial projectile, a small fabric pillow filled with around 40 grammes of lead shot, is one of the most commonly used projectiles in US policing, though it was withdrawn for 18 years after a fatal incident in 1971.

Your link says San Fran cops and the cops in question are Oakland cops. Very misleading headline on your link. Basically if someone can prove he wasn't injured by the Canadian mounties then no police were involved.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Scott Olsen injuries prompt review as Occupy Oakland protests continue | World news | guardian.co.uk
Oakland police confirmed at a press conference that they used tear gas and baton rounds, but said they did not use flash bang grenades. Police could not be reached for comment, but Finneburgh, who said he had been "present in many protests" where flash bang grenades had been used, said they had been deployed.
Finneburgh said he had returned to where Olsen had originally lain injured later in the evening, and close to a pool of blood had found a beanbag round, apparently fired by police. The controversial projectile, a small fabric pillow filled with around 40 grammes of lead shot, is one of the most commonly used projectiles in US policing, though it was withdrawn for 18 years after a fatal incident in 1971.

Your link says San Fran cops and the cops in question are Oakland cops. Very misleading headline on your link. Basically if someone can prove he wasn't injured by the Canadian mounties then no police were involved.
On top of that there were 12 different law enforcement agencies there that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but I hear you sing off key just to show 'em. That is intentional right?

I sing it all the time, but with different lyrics. They start out, "My country, 'tis of thee...."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then why wasn't he using it for nonlethal crowd control?

Shooting a compliant, non aggressive, non violent photographer is just crowd control?

It didn't really seem that he was compliant.

It sounded like the crowd was probably yelling epithets at the police. It actually seemed like he was trying to flank the police. If he was a peaceful protestor, why was he moving parallel to the line of police instead of away from the line of police? Also notice how he doesn't show anyone else in the crowd, or what anyone else in the crowd is doing. It seems as though that photographer was running with a crowd of people yelling obscenities at the police. Hmm. Sure sounds peaceful, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

It didn't really seem that he was compliant.

It sounded like the crowd was probably yelling epithets at the police. It actually seemed like he was trying to flank the police. If he was a peaceful protestor, why was he moving parallel to the line of police instead of away from the line of police? Also notice how he doesn't show anyone else in the crowd, or what anyone else in the crowd is doing. It seems as though that photographer was running with a crowd of people yelling obscenities at the police. Hmm. Sure sounds peaceful, doesn't it?
Looked to me he was walking parallel to the police line (you know, to photograph them) as one guy behind him yells at the police. He sounded compliant by asking if he had backed up enough from the police. You know, the beginning of the video where he was indeed moving away from them.

And it looked nothing like he was trying to flank anything. Do you even know what flanking is?

Yes, it sounds peaceful. Unless video taping from 20 feet away is an act of aggression. I'm sure Rodney King would appreciate that.
If anyone else in any crowd was doing something, why did he get shot?

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Looked to me he was walking parallel to the police line (you know, to photograph them) as one guy behind him yells at the police. He sounded compliant by asking if he had backed up enough from the police. You know, the beginning of the video where he was indeed moving away from them.

There's more than one guy yelling. And did you happen to see the graffiti?

Yes, it sounds peaceful. Unless video taping from 20 feet away is an act of aggression. I'm sure Rodney King would appreciate that.
If anyone else in any crowd was doing something, why did he get shot?

Right, because people yelling "*** the police" really are peaceful.

He's at something that's probably going to turn into a riot.

Gee, what else happened in Oakland at or about the same time that video was filmed.

If you're at the scene of a riot, don't be surprised to get caught up in the violence.

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

There's more than one guy yelling. And did you happen to see the graffiti?

Right, because people yelling "*** the police" really are peaceful.

He's at something that's probably going to turn into a riot.

Gee, what else happened in Oakland at or about the same time that video was filmed.

If you're at the scene of a riot, don't be surprised to get caught up in the violence.
Sorry, as Americans we have the right to peacefully assemble. Just because someone else did something, or someone graffiti'd something doesn't give the police the right to take it out on someone who was just filming them. If the cameraman was spraying graffiti, or if the cameraman was being violent, that would have been one thing, but you seem to think that just because other people have been unruly, that gives the police the right to act however they want.

Yelling things at the police is not violent by the way.

Upvote 0