OC Jerusalem and Lake of Fire

OC Jerusalem, Lake of Fire the Same?

• Yes it is possible they are the same

• No, it is not possible they are the same

• That is an absurb and ridiculous view!

• I have never thought of it that way

• I don't know

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*edit*

I would like to ask other fellow others here if it is possible, and even scriptural, that whatever City is being symbolized here, if it is possible it could also symbolize the "lake of fire"? Thoughts?

I voted option 1...1st century Jerusalem

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I always thought the Lake of fire is Hell
Would that be the same as the "gehenna" Jesus talked about to the corrupt murderous Judean Rulers?

[And could you please vote so I know you responded to this thread?] Thanks and God bless :wave:

Matthew 3:7
Being aware yet many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming upon the baptism of him he said to them "generation of vipers! who shows to ye to be fleeing from the being about/melloushV <3195> (5723) Wrath

Matt 23:33
"Serpents! generation of vipers! how? ye may be fleeing from the judging of the geennhV <1067> "

Ezekiel 39:12
And house of Israel bury them so that to purify/cleanse the Land seven months.
And all of people of the Land bury them. And He becomes to them for a Name, Day of to be glorified Me, declaration of my Lord YHWH. [Revelation 19:17]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Old Covenant/Testament :)

And could those that respond please at least vote? Thanks and God bless
i can't vote because i still don't understand your question.
so are you saying that you think that the city of Jerusalem in old testament times was the lake of fire?
did the whole city burn down at some point?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
i can't vote because i still don't understand your question.
so are you saying that you think that the city of Jerusalem in old testament times was the lake of fire?
did the whole city burn down at some point?
To clarify, I was talking about Herod's Temple in the 1st century.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have always been rather fascinated with these verses in Revelation, especially Reve 19:3, in relation to the Olivet Discourse

Recently I have come to view that "great City" burning as possibly symbolizing the "lake of fire" and one reason is the fact that the smoke of that City is ascending into THE AGES OF THE AGES

So I would like to discuss this "theologically" and not as "eschatologically".

I would like to ask other fellow Christians here on CF/GT if it is possible, and even scriptural, that whatever City is being symbolized here, if it is possible it could also symbolize the "lake of fire"? Thoughts?

I voted option 1 since I [and a lot of other Christians] believe OC Jerusalem/Temple is shown in Revelation.

Reve 18:8 by this, in one day shall be arriving the blows of Her, death and sorrow and famine.
And in fire She shall be being burned, that strong Lord, the God, the one judging Her
[Luke 19:41,44/Reve 19:3]

Reve 19:3 And a second-time they have declared "allelouia and the Smoke of Her is ascending into the Ages of the Ages".
[Reve 18:8]

DO NOT WEEP!!!!! The Great City - Page 2 - Christian Forums
DO NOT WEEP!!!!! The Great City

hmmmmmmm.....never considered that.....cuz when i think of Lake of Fire, i think of the judgement, God's White Throne Judgement and how "final" that is...because heaven and earth has passed away...it appears to me, to be in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmmmmmmm.....never considered that.....cuz when i think of Lake of Fire, i think of the judgement, God's White Throne Judgement and how "final" that is...because heaven and earth has passed away...it appears to me, to be in the future.
Another verse that I find interesting is in Reve 14:11.

While translating Reve from the greek texts some years back, I noticed a slight difference in wording of "ages and ages" in these 2 verses.

I noticed the article "the" is missing in Reve 14:11 [and trying to find out the significance of that]

[To tell the truth, I am making a speciall folder on this as this thread progresses :blush:]Thoughts?

I believe this could symbolize the OC Priesthood, Pharisees, Sadducees etc.

Revelation 14:11 And the Smoke of the tormenting of Them is ascending into Ages to-Ages.......... [Luke 16:24,26]

Textus Rec.) Revelation 14:11 kai o kapnoV tou basanismou autwn anabainei eiV aiwnaV aiwnwn........

Reve 19:3 And a second-time they have declared "allelouia and the Smoke of Her is ascending into the Ages of the Ages".

Textus Rec.) Revelation 19:3 kai deuteron eirhkan allhlouia kai o kapnoV authV anabainei eiV touV aiwnaV twn aiwnwn

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I noticed 2 Christians voted this option but didn't post any response :)

That is an absurb and ridiculous view!
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Another verse that I find interesting is in Reve 14:11.

While translating Reve from the greek texts some years back, I noticed a slight difference in wording of "ages and ages" in these 2 verses.

I noticed the article "the" is missing in Reve 14:11 [and trying to find out the significance of that]

[To tell the truth, I am making a speciall folder on this as this thread progresses :blush:]Thoughts?

I believe this could symbolize the OC Priesthood, Pharisees, Sadducees etc.

Revelation 14:11 And the Smoke of the tormenting of Them is ascending into Ages to-Ages.......... [Luke 16:24,26]

Textus Rec.) Revelation 14:11 kai o kapnoV tou basanismou autwn anabainei eiV aiwnaV aiwnwn........

Textus Rec.) Revelation 19:3 kai deuteron eirhkan allhlouia kai o kapnoV authV anabainei eiV touV aiwnaV twn aiwnwn

it certainly could symbolize the OC Priesthood, Pharisees, Sadducees, etc.

this is realllly deep...gotta munch on this....

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahh come on folkz! I know there are more than 5 members on the GT board [the # who have voted so far] :)

I would also like to get views from more RCs, EOs if possible.....thanks and God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
OK, I "bit" ... er, voted :)

As the Holy Scripture 'reads' on many levels (there is hidden in the physical the spiritual, and the spiritual is expressed in the physical, for ex.) I do think that is possible.

This I would like to contemplate more ...

it is one of those mysteries of God
4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yep. and isn't the lake of fire supposed to burn forever?

Rev. 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where also the beast and the false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

If the entire city of Jerusalem was burnt down, it is not still burning.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmm i guess that would depend if the great city were jerusalem .

if not then it would make the city limits of rome the lake of fire .

but if the beast is thrown into the lake of fire,

then how can the ten horns burn the great city riding on the beast?

because in one scene the city is burned by rulers

but in the scene where those rulers are devoured by birds and killed by the guy on the horsey and the sword coming out of his mouth well i guess dead guys cannot throw too far eh?

Upvote 0

consigliere31

Jan 6, 2010
British Columbia
✟15,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
the 'lake of fire' is a figurative expression used symbolically to describe the type and nature of a judgment that is Divinely inspired by God.

These expressions lake of fire/unquechable fire/are common expressions used throughout biblical prophecy, in both the OT and the NT.

They serve to express a judgment from God that is against a nation of people.

Isaiah 34 gives an accurate detailing of these prophetic expressions against Edom, and were fulfilled 2500 years ago.

The usage of lake in John's prophecetic term 'lake of fire' is equivalent to the fiery judgment coming upon the nation of Israel like a flood. Just as Daniel and Hosea had used this expression..

Hosea 5:10
Judah's leaders are like those who move boundary stones. I will pour out my wrath on them like a flood of water.

Daniel 9:26
After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

David uses this same type of expresion in his Psalm

Psalm 88:17
All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me.

John uses 'lake' as 'flood' is used in the scriptures and for the same purposes in describing how the fiery judgment from God will be overwhelming to those who are subjected to it.

On the flip side 'flood' is used to describe how God pours out His blessings upon someone as well, as if to say God opens the floodgates of heaven and pours out His blessings.

The language is figurative and not literal. There is no literal 'lake of fire' that is suggested as a place in an afterlife realm for tormenting souls for eternity.

For example, in Ezk. 20.47-48, God promised national judgment on Israel:

Hear the word of the Lord: Thus says the Lord God, Behold, I am about to kindle a fire in you, and it shall consume every green tree in you, as well as every dry tree; the blazing flame will not be quenched, and the whole surface from south to north will be burned by it. And all flesh will see that I, the Lord, have kindled it; it shall not be quenched.

In Amos 5.5-6, we have the same language used of national judgment on Israel again. God had promised a similar judgment on the northern kingdom at the hands of the Assyrians, fulfilled in 722 B.C.:

Seek the Lord that you may live, lest He break forth like a fire, O house of Joseph, and it consume with none to quench it for Bethel.

In Isa. 66.15-16, 24, Isaiah spoke of New Jerusalem's enemies being burned with unquenchable fire, as he spoke of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in A.D. 70:

For behold, the Lord will come in fire, and His chariots like the whirlwind, to render His anger with fury, and His rebuke with flames of fire. For the Lord will execute judgment by fire, and by His sword on all flesh. And those slain by the Lord will be many....Then they shall go forth and look on the corpses of the men who have transgressed against Me. For their worm shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched; and they shall be an abhorrence to all mankind.

In Jer. 21.10-12, we read of Babylon's burning Jerusalem with unquenchable fire, a national judgment fulfilled in 586 B.C.:

For I have set My face against this city for harm and not for good, declares the Lord. It will be given into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he will burn it with fire. Then say to the household of the king of Judah, Hear the word of the Lord, O house of David, thus says the Lord: Administer justice every morning; and deliver the person who has been robbed from the power of the oppressor. That My wrath may not go forth like fire and burn with none to extinguish it, because of the evil of their deeds.

Again, at the time John the Baptist and Jesus used this language in the gospels, the Bible had only used it of national judgments.

Fire That Is Not Quenched

The same thing is true of this expression. In Jer. 4.4, Jeremiah used it of the destruction of Jerusalem. In Jer. 21.12, he used it to describe the destruction of the house of David. In Amos 5.5, 6, Amos used it of the destruction of Jerusalem. In II K. 22.17, it's used of the destruction of Judah. In Isa. 34.10, Isaiah used it of the destruction of Edom, and in Isa. 66.24, he used it of the destruction of the enemies of the Messiah's people. See also Jer. 7.20, 17.27, where Jeremiah used it of the destruction of Judah, and Ezk. 20.47-48, where Ezekiel spoke of God's destruction of Jerusalem.

Upvote 0