• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Obsessive Praying for Forgiveness

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's me again.
I've been on a frustrating cycle of thinking I'm saying something sinful (mainly that I'm talking to demons), then praying for forgiveness, then having, like, a few seconds of peace, to going right back where I started. It's gotten so bad that it was a struggle to open my mouth to eat or drink, because I was obsessing over saying something bad, and worried that since I was thinking about it so hard that I'd say it out loud (like being deep in thought and talking to myself). So, keeping my mouth shut kept me safe. I keep telling myself, I'm not really saying it, but then I can feel myself saying the bad thing. And so I quickly pray for forgiveness, and I'm good... for a few minutes. There's times where I'll put off asking for forgiveness, because that seems to slow the cycle, but the anxiety is still there, like I have unfinished business that I have to take care of before my mind can be clean again.
I've got to stop this. I don't WANT to say these things. I don't want to even be thinking about it! Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing? I feel like God's grace would be okay with me stopping the cycle by NOT incessantly asking for forgiveness about this one specific thing. I feel like He'd be okay if I let it go. But I'm also afraid of crossing the line between thinking I'm saying the bad thing, and having a moment of being fed up and actually saying it under my breath. Because I've done that, and then been like "oh no, quick, pray, before something bad happens." I need help in knowing that nothing horrible is going to happen if I were to say it out loud. Because that takes away the anxiety, and that helps me stop obsessing. I DO NOT WANT to say these things, and I wish I could stop obsessing over it!

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's me again.
I've been on a frustrating cycle of thinking I'm saying something sinful (mainly that I'm talking to demons), then praying for forgiveness, then having, like, a few seconds of peace, to going right back where I started. It's gotten so bad that it was a struggle to open my mouth to eat or drink, because I was obsessing over saying something bad, and worried that since I was thinking about it so hard that I'd say it out loud (like being deep in thought and talking to myself). So, keeping my mouth shut kept me safe. I keep telling myself, I'm not really saying it, but then I can feel myself saying the bad thing. And so I quickly pray for forgiveness, and I'm good... for a few minutes. There's times where I'll put off asking for forgiveness, because that seems to slow the cycle, but the anxiety is still there, like I have unfinished business that I have to take care of before my mind can be clean again.
I've got to stop this. I don't WANT to say these things. I don't want to even be thinking about it! Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing? I feel like God's grace would be okay with me stopping the cycle by NOT incessantly asking for forgiveness about this one specific thing. I feel like He'd be okay if I let it go. But I'm also afraid of crossing the line between thinking I'm saying the bad thing, and having a moment of being fed up and actually saying it under my breath. Because I've done that, and then been like "oh no, quick, pray, before something bad happens." I need help in knowing that nothing horrible is going to happen if I were to say it out loud. Because that takes away the anxiety, and that helps me stop obsessing. I DO NOT WANT to say these things, and I wish I could stop obsessing over it!
Yes, I've had very similar obsessions! And you're right - doing compulsions to relieve the anxiety only keeps the OCD cycle going. I think you absolutely have the right idea - trust in God's grace to cover you while you practice NOT doing your compulsions. How have you been doing with this lately? Have you been able to practice not doing compulsions?

Upvote 0