• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Obsessional neurosis?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think my difficulties fit very neatly into OCD, but my doctor in the past has said to me he didn't think my 'obsession' had gone. I never asked what he meant by obsession at the time, and I can't recall clearly if I had said something to him previously to give him the impression I had an obsession. I do recall being a bit fussy about things like stacking magazines very neatly in my teens, and maybe wondered about myself a bit. Is it possible to give oneself a condition by thinking one might have it? I have read a bit about the classic form of OCD and how it affects people.

I suspect I have a religious personality. I have been told I am not schizophrenic, or bi-polar however.

Another thing my doctor has said was that I had a personality disorder, that I "lashed out"... To be honest I don't want to think that about myself in case it ends up in my doing so. I think I have lashed out at times in the past, and seemingly for no reason. I have tried to analyse why I did, but I don't think it I can get behind it.

I'd like to get help, but I honestly am not sure what sort psychotherapy is going to help, I feel I need the right therapist and modality, and I am not sure how motivated I am. I have gone for christian counselling, non-christian group psychotherapy, and CBT in the past and it hasn't helped a lot. In fact on occasion its been quite unbearable because don't feel I can talk about what's behind the intense anxiety, because its related to ideations about myself that I am not sure they would understand.

My problems and my ways of coping seem to me unbelievably complicated and then some, that I doubt whether anyone could grasp what is going on.

I am on a couple of meds, escitalopram, and quetiapine, but wonder at times if I would be better on something like valium, or xanax? but its pretty much at the doctors discretion, and they just say we find this works for a lot of people so first we try this, then if we need to we up the dose, etc.

What exactly is a "obsessional personality", or obsessional neurosis? And what sort of help is there for it?

Bonface Khatete

Nov 3, 2019
Nairobi
✟17,017.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't think my difficulties fit very neatly into OCD, but my doctor in the past has said to me he didn't think my 'obsession' had gone. I never asked what he meant by obsession at the time, and I can't recall clearly if I had said something to him previously to give him the impression I had an obsession. I do recall being a bit fussy about things like stacking magazines very neatly in my teens, and maybe wondered about myself a bit. Is it possible to give oneself a condition by thinking one might have it? I have read a bit about the classic form of OCD and how it affects people.

I suspect I have a religious personality. I have been told I am not schizophrenic, or bi-polar however.

Another thing my doctor has said was that I had a personality disorder, that I "lashed out"... To be honest I don't want to think that about myself in case it ends up in my doing so. I think I have lashed out at times in the past, and seemingly for no reason. I have tried to analyse why I did, but I don't think it I can get behind it.

I'd like to get help, but I honestly am not sure what sort psychotherapy is going to help, I feel I need the right therapist and modality, and I am not sure how motivated I am. I have gone for christian counselling, non-christian group psychotherapy, and CBT in the past and it hasn't helped a lot. In fact on occasion its been quite unbearable because don't feel I can talk about what's behind the intense anxiety, because its related to ideations about myself that I am not sure they would understand.

My problems and my ways of coping seem to me unbelievably complicated and then some, that I doubt whether anyone could grasp what is going on.

I am on a couple of meds, escitalopram, and quetiapine, but wonder at times if I would be better on something like valium, or xanax? but its pretty much at the doctors discretion, and they just say we find this works for a lot of people so first we try this, then if we need to we up the dose, etc.

What exactly is a "obsessional personality", or obsessional neurosis? And what sort of help is there for it?
Lashing out happens due to frustration, maybe there is something you are missing which you feel it is hard to get to. But good news is that Jesus says he has everything you need, all you need is to seek fisrt the Kingdom of God and all other things shall follow. I will advice you to pray for God to endow you with the Holy Spirit for with him shall come other good fruits like patience, goodness, self-control, kindness peace, faithfulness, gentleness, joy and love. Then you shall become truly gentle as a dove. I keep advising the people I talk to over such matters to look for the book I have written to open to them ther truth about God's love and how to seek the Kingdom by follwoing the example of Jesus Christ. Please, I strongly advice you to read this book too, it will help you greately. You can find it here
'About My Father's Business' - Doing God's Will In Your Youth, an Ebook by Bonface Khatete
May you find the peace of God even as you discover his deep love and care for you.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What sorts of things have you obsessed about, if I may ask?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0