Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm creating a thread for those past, present and future who decide to engage in the forty day fast, water only. Formally invited will be two other members, one who is a blogger and is currently in day 18, and another who I saw posting on it a few years ago, having completed it twice, and gave helpful advice concerning it.

I'll also be adding multiple teachings to this thread, including the following I will post at the bottom of this OP on the value of emulating our Lord's example by doing so, from one of the Bible Studies I wrote on this subject a few years back.

For any who participate in this tread and embark on a 40 day fast, please post your answers to the following questions at your convenience. I want a chronology of everyone's experience in doing so to serve as an educational tool for any who follow in the future:

1. What were/are your reasons and objectives for the fast?
2. What physical changes did you/ have you experienced as you progressed?
3. What were the results of the fast, i.e. did you obtain what you were hoping to achieve?

Thanks in advance to any who reply.
Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

@YHWH_will_uplift , @Vicomte13

Was Christ's Wilderness Experience An Example To Believers?

A close look at the Gospels reveals that virtually everything Christ was doing before He started His ministry was intended to serve as a pattern for believers to follow after. For starters, He insisted on being baptized in water, despite knowing full well that John's was a baptism of repentance. The conversation between the two reveals that even John the Baptist knew Jesus did not need to participate in a baptism unto repentance:

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and You come to me?” But having answered, Jesus said, “Suffer it to be so now. It is proper for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John suffered Him to do so. (Matthew 3:13-14)

The day after His baptism, John saw Jesus walking up and told his disciples, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world":

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the One I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because He was before me.’ I myself did not know Him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.” Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from Heaven as a dove and remain upon Him. And I myself did not know Him, but the One who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man upon whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the One who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.” (John 1:29-34)

Just as John would testify, Christ was in fact the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world. So what then was He doing receiving the baptism unto repentance? Despite John's objection, Jesus told Him it was proper for them to fulfill all righteousness. By this Jesus meant that He would allow it, despite not needing repentance. The only logical explanation is that He was setting a pattern for believers to follow, though I don't think this truth is as of yet well understood, and only even became possible after the Day of Pentecost.

But the pattern is as follows:
1. Be baptized in water to signify death to the flesh.
2. Receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit to be "born from above," which thereby also signifies being born unto newness of life "in Spirit."
3. Engage in an extended period of intense fasting, for the "mortification" of the flesh, in advance of the coming temptations of Satan.
4. Go on to preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ by confirming it through signs and wonders following, being weak in the flesh yet strong in the Spirit, in keeping with Paul's words elsewhere where he told the Corinthians, "Whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful." (2 Corinthians 12:10)

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,013.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Best of luck my friend. You can do it! Although 40 days existing on water alone seems a bit... extreme. I didn't even know it was possible to do that kind of thing! Hope everything is going well with you and may the Lord bless you as you endeavor closer to your ministry.

• Prayers
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Best of luck my friend. You can do it! Although 40 days existing on water alone seems a bit... extreme. I didn't even know it was possible to do that kind of thing! Hope everything is going well with you and may the Lord bless you as you endeavor closer to your ministry.

God bless, Friend Of. Always true to your name. It's actually been done by several as a matter of fact. I plan on posting quotes from one minister in particular who completed a forty day fast early in his ministry and went on to raise the dead.

The primary reason why I'm doing it is likewise out an abiding zeal for the greater gifts (1 Corinthians 12:31, 1 Corinthians 14:1).

Thanks for the best wishes. Keep me in your prayers. I will keep you in mine.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow I was wondering about that myself if it was possible. I thought it was something Jesus could do, because He is God.

I will definitely be praying for all who are doing this and follow this thread. That is amazing...

I am not there yet, I will stick to caffeine. But even that alone I find my prayer life has deepened already...

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It appears I may be the primary contributor to this thread, but so be it.

Update on my physical state: I'll be completing Day #7 in about three hours. One thing I've noticed about this fast is how hard I've been sleeping. I'm never anywhere near Rem sleep, so I'm no longer dreaming. When I come out, it's like I've been so deep under there could have been a tornado passing over the house and I never would have heard it. I also feel very sore upon waking up, and it takes me a few minutes to get moving. But once I do I start to feel great. I'm lighter, losing an incredible amount of weight quickly (down 15 lbs. in 7 days), and yet still have the energy to function at work and home. I just have to watch using too much muscle, because I will feel it the next time a wake up. Changed a flat yesterday, and pushing two plugs and lifting the tire back and forth was enough to make my arms and shoulders hurt upon waking up.

But all in all, this has not been difficult so far. The hunger pains are there continually, but I remedy it by drinking ice water constantly and walking while praying. The walking (light exercise) has a way of causing my body to convert over to drawing on fat reserves, which takes the feeling of hunger away. But it will come back when I sit in one place too long.
4. Go on to preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ by confirming it through signs and wonders following, being weak in the flesh yet strong in the Spirit, in keeping with Paul's words elsewhere where he told the Corinthians, "Whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful." (2 Corinthians 12:10)

About this, Paul fasted often (2 Corinthians 6:5, 2 Corinthians 11:27), and there is little doubt that his ministry was accompanied by manifestations of the power of God. Even his apostolic commissioning came as a result of fasting and prayer (Acts 13:2-4). And there are a few verses that strongly suggest it brings spiritual empowerment in its wake. Jesus stated in Matthew 6:16-18 that when we fast God will reward us openly, so long as we don't seek to be honored by men for doing so. But in what way does He "reward us openly" after fasting? The context suggests that the reward is greater spiritual authority among men, and another verse suggests through supernatural empowerment. Many of the more authoritative texts in Mark 9:29 have Jesus saying that certain demons would only come out through prayer and fasting.

I'm currently reading a book by Mahesh Chavda, who went on numerous 40 day fasts and ended up manifesting great supernatural power in Christ, even raising the dead on at least one occasion. He has also seen more than 700,000 souls come to Christ through his ministry. He firmly attests that these things (especially the apostolic anointing, manifesting through supernatural gifts) was as a result of fasting.

I noticed myself considering engaging in a 40 day fasts throughout the rest of my life. Then I happened to be skimming through his book again and found the following quote I never noticed before: "In 1974, I was pastoring a church in Levelland, Texas, when the Lord spoke to me and said, "Go on a 40-day fast." I went on a 40-day fast, and I found grace most of the time. The following year I again conducted a 40-day fast along with several 14-day and 21-day fasts. I married Bonnie in 1976, and it was that year that the Lord told me, "Now go on two 40-day fasts." For several years after that I observed two 40-day fasts per year and a minimum of two 21-day fasts. In 1977, I again felt led to observe two 40-day fasts, and I would add a few more fasts of differing lengths as the Spirit led. I followed this pattern of conducting two 40-day fasts every year after that through 1988... Altogether, I was led by the Spirit to observe 29 separate 40-day fasts." (Chavda, The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting, P.11)

It should also be noted that the Azusa St. revivals were a direct result of fasting and prayer, and on a level where Bartleman attested that his wife even feared for his life at one point. I will add those quotes later. I will also add later that long fasts absolutely must be ordained by God. Not all are healthy enough to observe them, and could possibly do themselves physical harm without the ordination of God.

For now, an older video of Chavda on "It's Supernatural," originally taped in 1999:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Definitely keeping you in prayer!!! I really don't know too much about a fast like that one to say anything. But I admire your desire to grow closer to God and your desire to be more effective in your ministry.

Edit: Ill probably learn a lot from this thread! And pray for you physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

That was an amazing video. God's love is so amazing and the fact that He is never changing and miracles still can happen today is amazing.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely keeping you in prayer!!! I really don't know too much about a fast like that one to say anything. But I admire your desire to grow closer to God and your desire to be more effective in your ministry.

Edit: Ill probably learn a lot from this thread! And pray for you physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Thank you, sister. Your prayers are very appreciated. :hug:
That was an amazing video. God's love is so amazing and the fact that He is never changing and miracles still can happen today is amazing.

And amen to that! They do still happen when we're willing to believe Him for it. :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Keep up the good fight today!!!

And they said to me, “The survivors who are left from the captivity in the province are there in great distress and reproach. The wall of Jerusalem is also broken down, and its gates are burned with fire.” So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
Nehemiah 1:3‭-‬4 NKJV

Furthermore I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of the region beyond the River, that they must permit me to pass through till I come to Judah, and a letter to Asaph the keeper of the king’s forest, that he must give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel which pertains to the temple, for the city wall, and for the house that I will occupy.” And the king granted them to me according to the good hand of my God upon me.
Nehemiah 2:7‭-‬8 NKJV

• Winner
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is from my Daniel 21 devotion. I hope it strengthens anyone fasting. Especially you Hidden. It isn't an easy task, but God will empower and draw you closer to Him through this experience. I think I would end up breaking that fast fast at this point in my life. :p

Here is what I read though:
  1. Moses fasted before he received the Law (Exodus 34:28).
  2. Jesus fasted before the start of His earthly ministry (Matthew 4:2).
  3. Paul fasted before the start of his missionary ministry (Acts 13:2).
Wherever you are at during your season of change, fasting will bring clarity, confidence, and commitment to stick it out. Fasting brings a fresh anointing of power for the new seasons of life.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is from my Daniel 21 devotion. I hope it strengthens anyone fasting. Especially you Hidden. It isn't an easy task, but God will empower and draw you closer to Him through this experience. I think I would end up breaking that fast fast at this point in my life. :p

Here is what I read though:
  1. Moses fasted before he received the Law (Exodus 34:28).
  2. Jesus fasted before the start of His earthly ministry (Matthew 4:2).
  3. Paul fasted before the start of his missionary ministry (Acts 13:2).
Wherever you are at during your season of change, fasting will bring clarity, confidence, and commitment to stick it out. Fasting brings a fresh anointing of power for the new seasons of life.

Glory To God! What a good post! And look at the importance of these three ministries! Are there any more important ministries in all the Bible than these three? I think not. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Be encouraged! Day 9? How are you holding up?

FB_IMG_1531620706048.jpg

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be encouraged! Day 9? How are you holding up?

View attachment 234011

Marching along, stronger than ever. :)

I plan on giving a weekly update in a few more days, on things like changes in my physical condition. But the grace of God is resting upon me, because it's not all that bad lately. I'll get tinges of hunger here and there, but not that bad. When I'm not praying, writing or studying, boredom is still my worst enemy (always has been), but I'm alleviating it now with getting into some video gaming again, LoL. That, and I'm looking at getting back into playing worship as well.

Thanks for the encouragement, sister. Wonderful having your support. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Video gaming. Don't tempt me. Lololol. I worry about my friends, so I am trying to pray for you instead. Because I believe in the power of God. I have started questioning how strong is my faith.

So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.
Matthew 17:20 NKJV

I pray God strengthens my faith during my caffeine fast and liberates me completely from anxiety.

Continued prayers for you and pray God empowers you and keeps your spirits high.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lilyoo, this passage right here is actually the original basis for what I now believe; that fasting invites the Power and Presence of God upon our lives. The KJV reads here "My strength is perfected in weakness," but the Greek very clearly uses the word for Power (this is why nearly every other version translates it that way), and it is a reference to the supernatural power of God. The verb used here is often inadequately translated as well, but the proper rendering should be "My [supernatural] power is made manifest in weakness." Paul was teaching that the weaker we are in something (intelligence, physical strength, etc), the more opportunity there is for the grace and power of God to manifest Itself through us and it unmistakably be a work of God, such as with the fact that the disciples were unlearned men and yet went on to be leaders of the New Testament church, far surpassing the religious leaders among the Jews in spiritual authority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Half way through Day #15, and I will give just an update on my physical condition in this post.

1. Expect your fair share of belching if you go on an extended fast, LoL. It's not incessant, but it has a way of building up on you, and every 45 minutes or so you have to clear your stomach.

2. Also began encountering some acid indigestion around Day #11. It was not so bad that it was absolutely intolerable, but family members made me promise I would take care of myself, so I decided to go to Walgreens and buy a bottle of fruit-flavored Tums. I took one that morning and BOY does one chewable work on clearing heartburn when you have an empty stomach. Never had another problem until late the next evening, took one again and things were fine for another 12 hours. It seems to be lifting, so until I actually need another one I won't eat any more.

3. I noticed a change in my body temperature on Day #11 as well. I'm normally only comfortable in 70 degree surroundings, but I found myself cold at that temperature for a change. But I may have been having withdrawals from a few substances because I noticed two things on this day: I was itching a lot, and I was NOT in a good mood. The former is a symptom I always get a day or so after taking Ibuprofen, and the latter is what happens to me once I start experiencing caffeine withdrawals. Why it took so long to go into these withdrawal symptoms in beyond me, but it happened.

4. Hunger pains have lessened some, and I am still strong. Able to fulfill work responsibilities at home and work without any hindrance yet. Sex drive has lessened significantly at this point (which is to be expected. It's part of why some single Christians fasted in ancient times).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow. That is amazing. It is very interesting to read about what a 40 day fast is like. I am glad you have family members around you too, where you are not doing this alone. Are they supportive? It sounds like it. :)

Fasting caffeine has had nothing but benefits. I find myself more tired at times, but find going outside can be a good alternative and reminds me to pray.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.
Psalms 28:7 NKJV

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2. Also began encountering some acid indigestion around Day #11. It was not so bad that it was absolutely intolerable, but family members made me promise I would take care of myself, so I decided to go to Walgreens and buy a bottle of fruit-flavored Tums. I took one that morning and BOY does one chewable work on clearing heartburn when you have an empty stomach. Never had another problem until late the next evening, took one again and things were fine for another 12 hours. It seems to be lifting, so until I actually need another one I won't eat any more.
Acidity needs balancing. Lemon juice doesn't altar fasting but will balance alkalinity. :) Good on you. I've never gone further than 2 weeks and never w/o a cheat somewhere along the way! :oldthumbsup:

Probiotics may be a good idea too for some good gut buddies to fight those bad ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acidity needs balancing. Lemon juice doesn't altar fasting but will balance alkalinity. :) Good on you. I've never gone further than 2 weeks and never w/o a cheat somewhere along the way! :oldthumbsup:

Probiotics may be a good idea too for some good gut buddies to fight those bad ones.

Thanks for this Cassia. :) Yeah, I actually did two 14 day fasts in the past, but I was the same way. I would sneak a little coffee to keep my energy high, and I have this love for pickle juice (slightly watered down) when I'm not eating that I cannot describe. Maybe the need for salt, but it's like my eyes start rolling back in my head when my head tilts back, kinda like a shark LoL. Both times I was cheating maybe 150 calories a day.

That's why I know His grace is upon this one, because it's been complete cold turkey (well, not even cold turkey. The dog still gets the cold turkey, but I don't). But I'm trying to be as strict as possible because once I open that door a little, I have the feeling like I may start letting it creep open a little wider every day, and I can't let it happen this time.

I'm hoping the acid indigestion is subsiding now. If not, I'm gonna keep your advice in mind and maybe try a little lemon juice next time (but NOT pickle juice. That would be the beginning of the end for sure, LoL).

Thanks again for the tips. Much appreciated. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0