• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Observed evolution of organs??

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Edx, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+106
    Atheist
    Hi,

Having a debate in another forum and the guy is saying that we havent observed speciation, of course I gave him examples of that and he is coming back with the whole lets move the goal posts trick.

But he also saying we havent seen the evolution of new organs, I would like to know if I can point to anything?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tiberius

Tiberius Well-Known Member

+97
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Why are you even playing with him when he moves the goalposts? If the only way he can avoid losing is to move the goalposts, he's already admitted defeat. he just doesn't want to stop.

3. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+106
    Atheist
    I know, but I'd like to know for myself as well. Im sure theres something but I cant find anything, but Im probably looking in the wrong place. I can show fossils of course, talk about what evolution says about how organs developed etc, but I would like to point out the experimental research like we've seen with speciation.

4. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Seeker for life, probably

+269
    Seeker
    Single
    Here you go: Sea squirts developing fully functional two-chambered hearts. Admittedly, this was due to a gene being artificially shut off or being overexpressed, but since we know that genes do that on their own too, it doesn't have any impact on the process itself.

5. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+106
    Atheist
    Great, this is the kind of thing Im talking about.

If there isnt already it would be nice to have all this documented in one easily accessible place.

Anymore?

6. atomweaver

atomweaver Senior Member

+171
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
  7. MasterOfKrikkit

MasterOfKrikkit Regular Member

+117
    Methodist
    Private
    Beat me to it. Yep, this one's neat because we've observed it happen in the present -- no "well fossils can be interpreted to say anything" bs allowed.

8. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Wow, that's cool. It smells like the sort of thing the book I've just read was talking about. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

9. rjw

rjw Regular Member

+83
    Atheist
    Another good one would be the evolution of the mammalian ear from the reptile jaw. Go to talk.origins and have a look for Theobald's "29+ evidences for macroevolution".

Regards, Roland

10. Pwnzerfaust

Pwnzerfaust Pwning

+54
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Here is an example. A population of lizards transplanted from one environment to another developed a new organ. From the article:

11. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    The problem with that is it's mostly fossil evidence and that doesn't count as "observed" with creationists. You could of course refer to embryology... but I'm quite sure it's still not direct enough evidence for a goalpost-moving creationist.

12. rjw

rjw Regular Member

+83
    Atheist
    You are correct and yes, genetics/embryology does help. I believe the relevant parts of the reptile and the mammal ear have the same initial developmental pathways, or something like that, strengthening the case that they are almost certainly related.

I am unsure of the details though.

Regards, Roland