• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Obessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I once thought I did, but I'm not so sure now. I will say that if you're looking for advice, seek God. Cliched, I know, but my guess is that you have obsessions and compulsions--but it's all perfectly rational to you. Trust God and don't rely on perfectionism, rituals, or anything else to keep you sane. Also, don't assume that you're always right. I've had problems with that in the past but I've let up a bit. If you need prayers, I'd be happy to oblige. :)

Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I once thought I did, but I'm not so sure now. I will say that if you're looking for advice, seek God. Cliched, I know, but my guess is that you have obsessions and compulsions--but it's all perfectly rational to you. Trust God and don't rely on perfectionism, rituals, or anything else to keep you sane. Also, don't assume that you're always right. I've had problems with that in the past but I've let up a bit. If you need prayers, I'd be happy to oblige. :)
Hey thanks a lot. Reading this makes me think you know enough about this subject. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't formally diagnosed, but my psych evaluation indicated that some of my symptoms were indicative of "compulsive personality disorder". I do have several traits, though they could also be attributed to Asperger's. I get preoccupied with rigid routines, lists and organization, obsessive focus, etc., but not enough that it would affect my daily life like OCD proper would.

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't formally diagnosed, but my psych evaluation indicated that some of my symptoms were indicative of "compulsive personality disorder". I do have several traits, though they could also be attributed to Asperger's. I get preoccupied with rigid routines, lists and organization, obsessive focus, etc., but not enough that it would affect my daily life like OCD proper would.
Hey, ok I understand. Glad to hear it's not taking over your life. With meds it's somehow bearable. Still it's very hard. Thanks for your honesty!

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, ok I understand. Glad to hear it's not taking over your life. With meds it's somehow bearable. Still it's very hard. Thanks for your honesty!

Thank you! I mean, there are still other symptoms of other conditions I have which are more egregious and interfere with daily living to an extent, it's just that the traces of OCPD aren't as severe. It is hard dealing with it, but meds and prayer make it totally bearable.

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I mean, there are still other symptoms of other conditions I have which are more egregious and interfere with daily living to an extent, it's just that the traces of OCPD aren't as severe. It is hard dealing with it, but meds and prayer make it totally bearable.
Oh, hey! I misunderstood. Sorry for that. Indeed it's hard. May God bless you!

Reactions: BookofMatt
Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with it. I have it so much that I often question my belief in Christ. If i really trust Him enough. It is scary very scary
Hey countryAngel707 i know exactly what you mean that's why i started this threat. May God bless you and thank you for your reply!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi! Are there people suffering from Obessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) on this forum?

I think it's important not to confuse OCD with OCPD. They are very different.

Both can really mess up your life, like any mental illness can. It is also important to remember that this IS an illness and there should not be shame involved with any of them.

An excellent site to go to is this one;

http://outofthefog.net

All the best in you quest to deal with this illness if that is your cross to bear.
God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think it's important not to confuse OCD with OCPD. They are very different.

Both can really mess up your life, like any mental illness can. It is also important to remember that this IS an illness and there should not be shame involved with any of them.

An excellent site to go to is this one;

http://outofthefog.net

All the best in you quest to deal with this illness if that is your cross to bear.
God Bless
Hi. Thanks a lot for the weblink and nice words. I will check it out. Also good that you mentioned the difference between the two. OCPD is what I did indeed mean with this threat. If you have any tips or resources, please post them. They are very welcome. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Thanks a lot for the weblink and nice words. I will check it out. Also good that you mentioned the difference between the two. OCPD is what I did indeed mean with this threat. If you have any tips or resources, please post them. They are very welcome. Thanks again.
It's been a while since I posted in this section.

It is not likely that people with OCPD will post here. This is due to the fact that those suffering from this tragic mental illness never believe that they are the ones with the problem. The nature of the illness and the outlook sufferers have, everyone else is the issue. This makes a diagnosis very difficult as the sufferer will reject the diagnosis based on the fact that in their mind the Doctor or Mental Health professional must be a quack and doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there are no medications that will help. The afflicted think they are the owner of truth and it is very very difficult to ever convince them otherwise.

This is based on my marriage, of 24 years, with a spouse who is suffering from OCPD or Narcissistic behavior disorder.

I am not a saint and the only thing that has kept me sane and there for our kids is the prayer support that I get from my parents and close christian friends. There is absolutely no other reason for the fact that I am not bat crap crazy myself or physically ill from the stress that our dysfunctional household has had to endure.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

heaLsEarch

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2016
/
✟68,115.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

It is not likely that people with OCPD will post here. This is due to the fact that those suffering from this tragic mental illness never believe that they are the ones with the problem. The nature of the illness and the outlook sufferers have, everyone else is the issue. This makes a diagnosis very difficult as the sufferer will reject the diagnosis based on the fact that in their mind the Doctor or Mental Health professional must be a quack and doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there are no medications that will help. The afflicted think they are the owner of truth and it is very very difficult to ever convince them otherwise.

This is based on my marriage, of 24 years, with a spouse who is suffering from OCPD or Narcissistic behavior disorder.

I am not a saint and the only thing that has kept me sane and there for our kids is the prayer support that I get from my parents and close christian friends. There is absolutely no other reason for the fact that I am not bat crap crazy myself or physically ill from the stress that our dysfunctional household has had to endure.

I was told by psychiatrists that I have a tendency for OCD. One didn't really differentiate between OCD and OCPD, for me at least. I am relieved to know of the diagnosis though. OCD or OCPD, I now understand the cause of my chronic restless feelings. I can tell myself to relax in situations where I would've been obsessed before, trying to make things better which only backfired.

I think people with OCPD don't go see psychiatrists unless they suffer from other mental issues and are genuinely ignorant of their disorders. Some may be relieved to learn of their disorders while others may be offended.

I believe it would be hard to suffer from 2 types of personality disorders or to be with people who do. Hang on...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there are no medications that will help. The afflicted think they are the owner of truth and it is very very difficult to ever convince them .......

Hi!
Thanks for your reply. You must be exhausted! I think it's very special and strong of you to stay with your spouse. Not everybody can! I will pray for you and your spouse.

I myself know what I'm suffering from and still I recognise what your saying. My meds do help until a certain level, so that's better than nothing and maybe it makes me just aware enough of what and who I am. But what I did not realise that it would be not likely that people suffering from this will post here. That's a very insightful comment. Thanks a lot! Take care and God bless!

Cheers, Ries

• Friendly
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums