• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obedience for Obedience' Sake

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tree of Life, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Ozymandian

+1,730
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    There's a false teaching floating around out there in evangelicalism that obedience for obedience' sake is a bad thing. Or that duty for duty's sake is a bad thing. An example would be someone who's unwilling to go to church or read the Bible because they don't want to. And if they don't want to do it, it would be somehow bad or perhaps Pharisaical to do it just because it's the right thing to do. They suppose that until they really want to do it, it would be better to refrain from doing it entirely.

But this is a bunch of hogwarsh.

The ideal is obedience from the heart. That we love God and obey his commands because it is our heart's deepest desire. But even when we do not desire to obey God's commands we still ought to obey them. Indeed, that's what makes it obedience! When we do it even though we don't want to do it we are submitting ourselves to the Lordship of Christ.

Do any of Y'ALL subscribe to this false teaching?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    (Romans 14:23, James 4:17)
    I think it's a heresy to replace Jesus with the church. The church is the body not the head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    As far as obedience, if it is not of faith, it is sin.

4. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+833
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yep. The bible says a lot about self control. And that is what this is about. It's controlling the flesh, but not because you're doing it to be saved. You are already saved. You do it because you want to be more perfect, which is a goal of every Christian. And it can be hard work, as the New Testament proclaims all over the place. But it is a worthy goal.

5. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Colossians 2:18-23

Obedience for obedience sake sounds too "taste not, touch not, handle not" so I'd definitely reject the teaching, not an evangelical tho.

6. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Acts 5:29

Obedience for obedience sake seems to be a line to mean obey the religious authorities, but when their ideas contradict what God wants to do, I'll definitely obey Him instead.

7. Almost there

+833
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    But that is obedience to rules not from God. What about Obedience by not watching prn even though you really want to. Is that somehow uinbiblical?

Then again, maybe I don't really understand what is meant by 'for obedience sake".

8. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I don't have a problem behaving with God because we have a relationship and it doesn't even come to mind. When humans start throwing around the word obedience, it means they are trying to assign work, and there is no relationship. This is iniquity.

9. eleos1954

eleos1954 Member Supporter

+111
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    John 14

15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and He will be in you.

Amen and God Bless

10. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+13,846
    Anglican
    Married
    Agreed.

Of course.

If we were left to obey or not obey, depending strictly upon our preferences, none of the Commandments would hold any sway over our actions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Almost there

+833
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I certainly can't argue with that. Like so many words, it is not the word that is the problem. It's how it's used.

12. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+2,005
    Christian
    Married
    I honestly can't say I've heard of this. But quite frankly, not much surprises me anymore. Thanks for sharing.

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Ozymandian

+1,730
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    This appears to me to be a non-sequitur. How do you think this relates to the OP?

14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Ozymandian

+1,730
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I agree. But does this mean that we should never perform acts of obedience unless we are convinced that they are perfect?

15. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Ozymandian

+1,730
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    What about when God tells you to do something that you don't want to do? Would you do that?

16. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+5,024
    Anabaptist
    Man, (woman), that was COOL! As soon as I read the question,
    I saw 45,000 hands go up fast !
    Then when they realized what they were admitting to (confessing), many of the hands went down even faster !

17. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    God gave me a task that I don't like, I still do it anyway. It builds character.

18. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Faith is like trust, perfect is like maturity, I was talking about trust.

19. Michael Collum

+2,526
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    This is related to when the call for obedience is actually an example of new testament phariseeism as was mentioned in the OP.

20. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Ozymandian

+1,730
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    This is what I mean by "obedience for obedience' sake".