Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I can tolerate the F-bombs a lot more than I can tolerate the idea that black people don't have the the same rights as white people.
I agree, but why should it be either or?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not, for me. But an America that tolerates foul language and doesn't tolerate racism is far greater than the opposite was.
I agree. My question was why can't we have no tolerance for racism AND no tolerance for foul language in the public form? They are not opposing ideas or behaviors.

It's become almost impossible to shield children from accepting such things as OK without removing them from normal social interactions and that is not good for them at all.
We used to have guidelines for common decency in public, in the words we used and the way we dressed.

We had to tell a friend's son, who is an adult, that he could not come into our home until he stopped using the F word every other word that came out of his mouth. He had no sense of restraint when speaking in front of children or women.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Former President Carter dumps on Obama. (The second quote in the article is even more telling.)

“On the world stage, I think [Obama’s accomplishments] have been minimal,” Carter said. “I think he has done some good things domestically, like health reform and so forth. But on the world stage, just to be objective about it, I can’t think of many nations in the world where we have a better relationship now than when he took over.”
http://www.allenbwest.com/michele/you-know-its-bad-when-jimmy-carter-says-this-about-obama

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It's not, for me. But an America that tolerates foul language and doesn't tolerate racism is far greater than the opposite was.

Too many people don't care about the reality, just the window dressing. PC run amok, as the flap over the Confederate flag.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Too many people don't care about the reality, just the window dressing. PC run amok, as the flap over the Confederate flag.
Cries over the divileness of racism are nothing more than virulent efforts of race-baiting these days.
Race-baiters are the most divisive, scurrilous force of racism in America today, purposely causing divisions where none now existed, and for their own exploitative, political reasons. The race-baiters slice at old wounds and keep old pains front and centre in the consciousness of the nation, not so that healing might begin, so that healing will never be.
Without fear of racism, the demographic of the Democratic party, and the left of the West in general, collapses.

When it comes to dignifying the culture, and setting an example of decency in the WH, Obama might have left behind a legacy where family values of a mother and father and loved children may have been seen as the standard, and the kind of behavior to emulate, especially for the black family, which is suffering greatly as breakdown in the sexual mores that keeps families together becomes their norm. His greatest legacy might have been serving as the example of all that the traditional family could be.
Instead he leaves behind a legacy of race-baiting, which only other race-baiters see as something as being positive and useful to the kind of cause that even would shock a Machiavelli.

Instead of being the icon of what is his greatest personal success, which for all appearances is a loving husband and a doting father to his girls, a paternal figure to all children in the WH according to what I have heard; he brags instead about being the enabler of gay marriage, as if any and every type of relationship is equally relevant and beneficial as the kind of relationship that is his own traditional family.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

It's a real problem and a shame that racists picked up the Confederate battle flag as their symbol. A lot of southerners with no hatred in their hearts at all, revered that flag as a symbol of a culture and a set of noble ideals.

In a small way, the Klan and their allies did to the Battle Flag what the Nazis did to the swastika, which originally was also a positive symbol.

It shouldn't be. And maybe there will be a time when it won't set people off when it's displayed. We can hope so. But your point is well-taken; fussing about symbols while ignoring the substance of injustice is foolish.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It's a real problem and a shame that racists picked up the Confederate battle flag as their symbol. A lot of southerners with no hatred in their hearts at all, revered that flag as a symbol of a culture and a set of noble ideals.

People will use any symbol they like. That doesn't make the symbol bad, just the use to which it is put.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People will use any symbol they like. That doesn't make the symbol bad, just the use to which it is put.

Absolutely. I find it extremely offensive that racists have stolen the Confederate Battle flag as their standard.

I do understand why the flag now has that connotation for many Americans, and why they react so negatively to it, but I also recognize that it is revered by many people who are not racists at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Right up there with sarcasm, with which you seem to practice with pride.
My sarcasm is only to point out the hilarity that something like Same Sex Marriage is more deviant than pure greed. Not when greed has produced every kind of crime in the book. Greedy people do offense, take, steal from others, and many never stop until they are caught or stopped by someone from continuing their greedy behavior as true greed can never be satisfied.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My sarcasm is only to point out the hilarity that something like Same Sex Marriage is more deviant than pure greed.

And do you honestly think Trump is any greedier than Hillary, Bill, Obama or the majority of politicians and lobbyists and other general hangers-on in DC?

Of course, greed is not only dealing with money. Power, especially political power is just as corrupting.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
And do you honestly think Trump is any greedier than Hillary, Bill, Obama or the majority of politicians and lobbyists and other general hangers-on in DC?

Of course, greed is not only dealing with money. Power, especially political power is just as corrupting.
This is true but only Trump is held up like he is a lone warrior, fighting some kind of crusade for God's return to America against the heathen Democrats, the foreigners, and the gays.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This is true but only Trump is held up like he is a lone warrior, fighting some kind of crusade for God's return to America against the heathen Democrats, the foreigners, and the gays.
Donald Trump is about as sympathetic to gays as anyone. Even Obama had to evolve in his thinking on the issue. For Trump gays have never been an issue. He was elected as pro-gay.He likes foreigners enough to marry one, and as for heathens, he is as heathen as anyone else in the Hollywood and the celebrity crowds.
Rhetoric against Trump really needs to evolve to reflect the new reality. The differences between a Ted Cruz and a Donald Trump are more than a little subtle.

People still want to argue from the perspective of Republicans shoving their morality down our throats. Suffice it to say that Trump simply is not, and never has been a beacon of Christian moral virtue.
Your arguments against Republicans need to evolve with the times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donald Trump is about as sympathetic to gays as anyone. Even Obama had to evolve in his thinking on the issue. For Trump gays have never been an issue. He was elected as pro-gay.He likes foreigners enough to marry one, and as for heathens, he is as heathen as anyone else in the Hollywood and the celebrity crowds.
This is exactly my point. The post I was originally responding to in this exchange was an assessment of the two major 2016 Presidential candidates being that Trump in a nutshell was the superior candidate morally and this is especially true as it related to "sexual deviants." I disagree and believe through his own candid comments we heard exactly how the President feels about women and their personal rights.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Trump loves everyone and employs people of all races. He would like to bring this divided Country back together but, some will still be crying 8 years from now. That's right folks be ready for Trump doing 8.
And the people will feel blessed to have him.
M-Bob

What does this have to do with Trump? Other than the fact that Trump ran a campaign specifically designed to attract racists to join his base? Honestly, I give Trump credit, I had no idea that the USA was such a racist country (see post #73 for links to support), but Trump obviously recognized this, and took advantage of that fact to win the election.

As I stated, and included links to support, in my previous post (#73), the USA is a very racist country. Obviously when a black man is elected POTUS, there is going to be a lot of hatred directed at him.

• Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
America is in love with Obama still, and Trump is hated everywhere.
In the eyes of the world's left that equates with America being a racist country.

<Read more at Unhinged.com>

That's not what equates America with being a racist country. The fact that America is full of racists is what equates America with being a racist country. Honestly, it's not that hard to understand.

From Washington Post:
The American National Election Studies, the long-running, extensive poll of American voters, asked voters in 2012 a basic test of prejudice: to rank black and white people on a scale from hardworking to lazy and from intelligent to unintelligent. The researchers found that 62 percent of white people gave black people a lower score in at least one of the attributes. This was a jump in prejudicial attitudes from 2008, when 45 percent of white people expressed negative stereotypes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is exactly my point. The post I was originally responding to in this exchange was an assessment of the two major 2016 Presidential candidates being that Trump in a nutshell was the superior candidate morally and this is especially true as it related to "sexual deviants." I disagree and believe through his own candid comments we heard exactly how the President feels about women and their personal rights.

Yeah, if you like a candidate who runs a racist campaign to attract racists to join his base, then Trump is the more moral. If you like a candidate who brags about sexually assaulting women, and numerous women state that he does indeed do this, and that he assaulted them, then Trump is more moral. If you like a candidate who brags about peeping on naked women, and numerous women state that he has peeped on them, then Trump is more moral. If you like a candidate who brags about peeping on women, and women come forward and state that they witnessed Trump peeping on naked children, if you think peeping on naked children is more moral, then Trump is indeed your candidate ( see Here for links to quotes and witnesses).

But hey, Trump has attacked Mexicans, Muslims, and other brown skinned people, so that makes him a good choice for the following people:

From Washington Post:
The American National Election Studies, the long-running, extensive poll of American voters, asked voters in 2012 a basic test of prejudice: to rank black and white people on a scale from hardworking to lazy and from intelligent to unintelligent. The researchers found that 62 percent of white people gave black people a lower score in at least one of the attributes. This was a jump in prejudicial attitudes from 2008, when 45 percent of white people expressed negative stereotypes.

Did you know that if you are talking to just two Trump supporters, the odds are good that at least one of them is a racist? True fact (from same article):

Research by Washington Post pollsters and by University of California at Irvine political scientist Michael Tesler, among others, have found that Trump does best among Americans who express racial animus. Evidence indicates fear that white people are losing ground was the single greatest predictor of support for Trump — more, even, than economic anxiety.

Few people embrace the “racist” label, so let’s help them. If you are “very enthusiastic” about a candidate who has based his campaign on scapegoating immigrants, Latinos and African Americans, talked of banning Muslims from the country, hesitated to disown the Ku Klux Klan and employed anti-Semitic imagery — well, you might be a racist. But if you are holding your nose and supporting Trump only because you think him better than Clinton, that doesn’t put you in the basket.

Upvote 0