Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The tradition is that the current first lady attend. Michelle Obama will be there.
You are really bad about the facts business. You keep bringing them into the discussion and it's getting annoying.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it a big deal when a president doesn't visit someone's funeral? We had this story about Scalia as well, and it seems to me like it has less to do with making any valid point, but rather just trying to feed ODS. So I'll just give it my typical response: "Boy, I wonder how this will affect Obama's chances for re-election?"

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it a big deal when a president doesn't visit someone's funeral? We had this story about Scalia as well, and it seems to me like it has less to do with making any valid point, but rather just trying to feed ODS. So I'll just give it my typical response: "Boy, I wonder how this will affect Obama's chances for re-election?"
I ain't voting for him again, I'll tell you that much.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I refuse to vote for him again either!

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Did I miss a memo or something that stated that the President was now primarily the Mourner in Chief?
Well... Since he isn't allowed to act in any presidential way, like appointing people to the Supreme Court or some such act, conservatives feel that this is all he's fit to do.

Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

I choose the World. I choose the Flesh.
Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Did I miss a memo or something that stated that the President was now primarily the Mourner in Chief?

One of my conservative friends posted about it on FB and the first thing she did was use it as a crack against Obama. "Anyone want to take bets on whether Obama will show up."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's be honest here: if Al Sharpton dies, Obama would drop everything (incuding a game of golf) to go to his circus funeral. Supreme Court Justices and former first Lady's that represent the right side of the aisle? Not a chance. The guy has no class.

Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's be honest here: if Al Sharpton dies, Obama would drop everything (incuding a game of golf) to go to his circus funeral. Supreme Court Justices and former first Lady's that represent the right side of the aisle? Not a chance. The guy has no class.

His wife is attending Reagan's funeral. And of course that's not good enough for his frothing detractors, who will bash him no matter what he does.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Question: When was the last time a President attended the funeral of a former first lady? Can I say, "Bueller? Bueller?"

We should talk about presidential protocol here and add the facts.

But I know the facts may irritate some conservatives who only live to bash President Obama, no matter what he does.

President Ronald Reagan did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Bess Truman.

President George W. Bush did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson.

President Bill Clinton did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Patricia Nixon.

And former President Jimmy Carter did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Mamie Eisenhower.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,465.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Question: When was the last time a President attended the funeral of a former first lady? Can I say, "Bueller? Bueller?"

We should talk about presidential protocol here and add the facts. However, I know that the facts may irritate some conservatives who only live to bash President Obama, no matter what he does.

President Ronald Reagan did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Bess Truman. President George W. Bush did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson, President Clinton did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Patricia Nixon and former President Jimmy Carter did not attend the funeral of former First Lady, Mamie Eisenhower.
Those are obama's fault too.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So let's see.
Obama didn't go to Betty Ford's Funeral in 2011
Bush did't go to Lady Bird Johnson's funural in 2007
Clinton didn't go to Pat Nixon's Funeral in 1993
Ronald Reagan didn't go to BBess Truman's Funeral in 1982
Jimmy Carter didn't go to Mamie Eisenhower's funeral in 1979
Franklin D Roosevelt didn't go to Lou Henry Hoover's Funeral in 1944

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
So let's see.
Obama didn't go to Betty Ford's Funeral in 2011
Bush did't go to Lady Bird Johnson's funural in 2007
Clinton didn't go to Pat Nixon's Funeral in 1993
Ronald Reagan didn't go to BBess Truman's Funeral in 1982
Jimmy Carter didn't go to Mamie Eisenhower's funeral in 1979
Franklin D Roosevelt didn't go to Lou Henry Hoover's Funeral in 1944

Darn those pesky facts.... totally depletes the conservative hissy fit that Obama will not be attending Nancy Reagan's funeral.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Darn those pesky facts.... totally depletes the conservative hissy fit that Obama will not be attending Nancy Reagan's funeral.

Not only the facts, but at what point will it be OK for him to Not go then?
Former First Lady.
Former Vice President
Former VP Wife
Former Speaker of the House
Former Speaker of the House Spouse
Former President pro tempore of the Senate
Former President pro tempore of the Senate Spouse
Former Secretary of State
Former Secretary of State Spouse
Former Secretary of the Treasury
Former Secretary of the Treasury Spouse
Former Secretary of Defense
Former Secretary of Defense Spouse
White House Cook
Former White House Cook
Former White House Cook Spouse
Janitor
Janitor Spouse

Kids of any of the above
Friends of any of the above

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
His wife is attending Reagan's funeral. And of course that's not good enough for his frothing detractors, who will bash him no matter what he does.

Of course when Bush was president, his "frothing detractors" never bashed him. It's called politics.

Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course when Bush was president, his "frothing detractors" never bashed him. It's called politics.

I understand that with any president some of the criticism will be fair and some of it will be stupid. Complaining about Obama not attending a funeral, that his wife did attend, is stupid. Randomly bringing up golfing is stupid. Bush golfed plenty. Where you here on this forum complaining about that? My guess is no.

Upvote 0