Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Something must have just vaguely gone off in the back of your mind to make you think this might be suspect enough to justify checking your facts!

Here are some sites that discuss Luo names in general and Obama's name:

Many Luo names begin with "O". This prefix is a patronymic male affix, and means "son of", like the suffix -son in Stevenson or Johnson. So Obama means "son of a man named "Bama"'.

The name Obama is based on the DhoLuo verb that means "to be slightly bent" or "to be twisted." Most Luo names were given by grandmothers or mothers at the time of birth, referring to some circumstance connected with the birth. No one knows for sure, but the most likely possibilites are that the senator's great-grandfather was called Obama either because one of his arms or legs looked a little bent just after birth, or because he was the product of a breech delivery.

http://surnames.behindthename.com/php/browse.php?letter=o
Obama
Usage: Dholuo (Kenyan Luo)
From a rare Luo given name, based on a word meaning "crooked" or "slightly bent". It was possibly originally given to a baby who had an arm or leg that looked slightly bent immediately after birth. It could also possibly have been given to a child who was born in the breech position.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Luo_surnames

Illustrates that most Luo names are related to birth circumstances.

# Onyango/Anyango -- Born in the early morning (Born before Noon (10am-12n))
# Ooko/Aoko -- Born out-of-doors (usually unintentionally!)
# Ooro/Aoro -- Born during dry season
# Opiyo/Apiyo -- First born of a twin pair
# Opollo/Apollo -- Very old name; Meaning unknown
# Osano
# Otieno/Atieno -- Born at night
# Otiende/[Atiende] --
# Ouma/Auma -- Infant delivered into a prostrate position on the ground
# Owino/Awino -- Born with umbilical cord around neck (Born covered in meconium or caul)

Jonathan

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/fib/gGxsTz/commentary

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟107,707.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
... wow... I think I just felt myself die a little... intellectually atleast.

Though I suddenly got an image of Barack walking up to a stage at some rally and people start chanting his name and reality itself rips apart as demons start pouring out into our world.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Bloody Mary!
Bloody Mary!
Bloody Mary!

Yeah, that never worked for me as a kid either. :) You know, I'm still rather convinced that NAMES don't actually have any sort of power and therefore saying them won't do anything. Unless you have a Deathnote, but that's writing and it's fictional so that point is moot.

This thread is funny though.

Reactions: CaDan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Crazy? It's a fact. Senator Obama, whose ancestors are of the tribe of Luo in Kenya have the custorm of naming their children after demonic spirits! Check out the website mamamaria.org to find the cultural practice. Obama's father and and paternal grandfather's are from Allego, Kenya home of the Luo tribe, who practice naming their newborns after spirits of the underwold, aka demons! Here is an part of the article:

"An example of Luo culture representative of life in Luoland is the naming process of the Luo people. Luo names refer to forces or spirits that exist beyond the immediate presence of life on earth. When individuals are deceased, they are referred to as the spirits of the ancestors. The means by which children receive spirit names is tied directly to the position of the sun in relation to the earth when they are born. Different names carry different personality characteristics. So, when meeting a stranger on a dusty crossroad, one gains insight into the character of that person simply by learning their name."

There are many sites that show Obama's family tree online.

So, again, WARNING: EVERYTIME YOU SAY HIS NAME YOU ARE CALLING ON A DEMONIC SPIRIT!!!

what is the matter with you

Last edited:
Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time you say "McCain" you are calling on the first murderer! "Mc" means "son of" and "Cain" is recorded as the first murderer in history! It's true! No really! I'm serious! :sorry:
tulc(the world is a scary place sometimes) :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Light as a feather. Stiff as a board.

Next up, we tell the story of Hookman. And after that, snipe hunt!

Snipehunting!! I haven't taken anyone out for a snipe hunt in Years!! ^_^^_^

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Crazy? It's a fact. Senator Obama, whose ancestors are of the tribe of Luo in Kenya have the custorm of naming their children after demonic spirits!

I was once engaged to a woman from the Luo tribe of Kenya, and I'm calling you on this BS here and now.

There is no such tradition. African animism developed independently of the monotheistic God-versus-Satan world view. And most Luo are as Christian as you or I. This is just more slander against Obama.

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does it matter where his father is from, or what his name means? And why, if this is an issue with anyone, isn't his middle name or the religion of his father a big deal? Nobody cares?

I'll tell you what I do think ... this thread looks an awful lot like one of those scary B horror flicks where the bawdy teenagers cavalierly provoke something that will eventually end up violently killing them. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time you say "McCain" you are calling on the first murderer! "Mc" means "son of" and "Cain" is recorded as the first murderer in history! It's true! No really! I'm serious! :sorry:
tulc(the world is a scary place sometimes) :cool:

Advantage: tulc

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2008
✟7,872.00
Faith
Christian
yeeah! The DEMON from whom Obama's great grandfather was named could be "son of slightly bent" The translation of the demon's name means what it means, but the man, the great grandfather was named after the spirit which was subsequently applied to his son, and is son's son...which in Luo is pronounce "Obama" Obama means son of the spirit...blah, blah, blah. Whatever, say it and you are calling on the darkside.

Christian people i know, don't want anything to do with demon's names, don't want the demon worshipped by saying it. Overseas it is common practice for well trained Christian pastors to give Christian names to new disciples of Christ to help break the bonds associated with the demon world.

Read some books on Christian spiritual warfare (like by Neil Anderson), the true stories and explanations in such books will help you understand the danger is real. Why do think Jesus Christ commanded the demon(s) to give their names?...because a name is a call sign!

The website I gave (mamamaria.org) presented the cultural meaning, the intention, behind the Luo naming of newborn, not just the literal translation. Plainly, traditonal Luo culture children were delibrately named after demons they thought were the spirit of ancestors of the child, but really they were demons, not ancestors, as Christian teachings reveals there is real unseen world of darkness.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.