Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Present facts, links to snopes, and other evidence showing that he isn't Muslim. Tell the poster to stop spreading easily rebutted untruths. Remain calm and kind, but firm.

You may not convince the poster--many who think Obama is Muslim are out of touch with reality* -- but you may convince someone else that is watching and undecided.

* after the Jeremiah Wright brouhaha, I think this is a settled question for those who pay attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You may not convince the poster--many who think Osama is Muslim are out of touch with reality* -- but you may convince someone else that is watching and undecided.

I think Osama is a Muslim. Obama, not so much.

^_^

Reactions: MsVicki
Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I spent a couple hundred hours working on Obama's campaign.... and yes, the advice in this thread is probably best. The saddest part, was the fact that so few folks who advocated that position on the phone actually read their Bible or had much of an understanding of Christianity beyond what some pastor said..... It was exceedingly area code dependant, which makes me think its a local church issue. That being said, overwhelmingly most Christian's I reached out to on the phone saw the fruits of Obama's walk, and thus there was no question. The views of him being Muslim are held only by a small yet vocal crowd.... of which dominionism seemed pretty rampant.

As far as the Jeremiah Wright incidents go.... to many, they only hear the sound bites. I tell folks to go listen to an entire sermon (typically 30-50 minutes). And sure liberation theology is present, but the Gospel is unashamedly preached in every sermon I've listen to. Domnionists wont like it... nor do folks like to be called to repent, but Rev Wright is very much on the money with full scriptural backing.

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
An older female friend of mine has mentioned that he's a Muslim several times, and each time I correct her, and she seems to listen and agree, then brings it up again.

The people who think he's a muslim are never gonna vote for him. They just keep on sending stoopid emails and making outlandish objections. Leave them be, and focus on the issues that matter.

I don't think I'm voting for Obama, but not because I think he's a muslim. I fervently wish the conservatives would field an electable Republican with the intergrity that Obama seems to have. If he'd budge on like two issues, I'd feel ok voting for him.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well he certainly is budging on many issues. In fact had I not given so much money, time, and energy to his campaign during the primary season or hadn't been touched so much by him inspirationally, then I wouldn't vote for him because he has moved so far right. I'm kind of sick with him at the moment because of his vote on FISA and his Faith Initiative things. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I do absolutely love him, but at the moment I'm kind of ticked off with politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well he certainly is budging on many issues. In fact had I not given so much money, time, and energy to his campaign during the primary season or hadn't been touched so much by him inspirationally, then I wouldn't vote for him because he has moved so far right. I'm kind of sick with him at the moment because of his vote on FISA and his Faith Initiative things. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I do absolutely love him, but at the moment I'm kind of ticked off with politics.

Everyone moves to the center after they clinch their party.

As for what to do about the Obama is a secret Muslim thing: I usually just *facepalm*

On a more upsetting note: once you get beyond the stupidity of people insisting he's a Muslim, there's the disturbing notion that being a Christian is somehow more patriotic/American than being a Muslim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On a more upsetting note: once you get beyond the stupidity of people insisting he's a Muslim, there's the disturbing notion that being a Christian is somehow more patriotic/American than being a Muslim.

Oh, thank you. I was going to bring that up.

So what if he *were* a Muslim, which he's not? I have Muslim friends. Terroristic acts no more represent all of Islam than Fred Phelps or Timothy McVeigh represent all of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I took one of those silly emails that said something like Obama can't be president because he's a Muslim and I turned it into one that said something like Huckabee can't be president because he's Christian. It was remarkably easy to do because every faith has some radical positions (love your enemy!) that really are incompatible with normal human governments.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Wait- I thought Obama was black?
Islam is a religion, not a race.

But anyway... Obama is definitely a Christian, though a liberal one. That probably won't bother most WWMC folks.

Since I like Obama very much as a person, but his political positions are too leftish for me... the more he moves to the center, the more I like it, and the more likely it becomes that I could vote for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Present facts, links to snopes, and other evidence showing that he isn't Muslim. Tell the poster to stop spreading easily rebutted untruths. Remain calm and kind, but firm.

You may not convince the poster--many who think Obama is Muslim are out of touch with reality* -- but you may convince someone else that is watching and undecided.

* after the Jeremiah Wright brouhaha, I think this is a settled question for those who pay attention.

You'd think Wright would have settled it, but I've heard reports of people being worried about both.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
At the risk of slightly diverting the thread -- I'd probably vote for a politically/socially/economically conservative Muslim over a radical liberation-theology Christian.
Mmm, I can relate to that... though since I'm libertarian rather than conservative, I'd prefer a politically/economically conservative but socially liberal candidate of whatever religion.

But Islam is sort of special as world religions go, since we're at war with elements associated with a major faction of it. If the Muslim individual fitting your description were known to be unquestionably loyal to our side in that war, I'd tend to agree... though I'd be wary of a socially conservative Muslim even so, since Islam tends to go way, way overboard in that respect. Mansoor Ijaz seems to be a Muslim I could vote for.

And so far as Obama, he would be someone I could consider only if he proves himself to be more centrist, matching his inclusive rhetoric rather than his Senate record and his former pastor.

Upvote 0