Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' ThanBush's - Real Clear Politics – TIME.com

A rather surprising finding from the newly released CNN poll. Question three on the national survey of 1,136 adults (which includes an oversample of African-Americans) asks, "Do you consider the first six months of the Obama administration to be a success or a failure?"

It's only "surprising" if you view the world from the State-run media or are a liberal. I'm just curious how you guys are going to spin this since you can't attack the source; it's Time/CNN....they're on your side. And you can't attack the sampling since they admit to OVER sampling African American's who overwhelmingly support Obama. You can't attack the timing of the poll for Bush since it was done PRE-9/11.

So what's it going to be? Downplay it?

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No they'll just say that since Bush did such a complete job of destroying things that no one could reasonably be expected to be perceived as doing a good job this early on.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' ThanBush's - Real Clear Politics – TIME.com

A rather surprising finding from the newly released CNN poll. Question three on the national survey of 1,136 adults (which includes an oversample of African-Americans) asks, "Do you consider the first six months of the Obama administration to be a success or a failure?"

It's only "surprising" if you view the world from the State-run media or are a liberal. I'm just curious how you guys are going to spin this since you can't attack the source; it's Time/CNN....they're on your side. And you can't attack the sampling since they admit to OVER sampling African American's who overwhelmingly support Obama. You can't attack the timing of the poll for Bush since it was done PRE-9/11.

I didn't think the Bush administration was a failure after 6 months. I was seriously concerned about the Bush administration's policies and agenda in the fall of 2002 (i.e. the run-up to the Iraq war). It was clear to me at the time that the Bush administration was deceiving the public regarding the threat that Saddam posed (i.e. he wasn't a threat, but they were hyping a threat as pretext for invasion). As the Bush administration continued it's policies of unilateral action on the world stage, and could see a pattern forming in it's actions, i certainly felt that they were very corrupt (i would say that all (or at least most) administrations, at least in the modern era, have been at least somewhat corrupt). I disagreed with both the direction of the policy, and often moreso with the way those policies were enacted.

I didn't consider the Bush adminstration a failure until about 2/3 through the first term (late 2003, when it was clear that they not only mislead us about the pretext for the war in Iraq, but what their intent/plan was).

At this point, i don't consider the Obama administration a success or a failure. I think it's a huge improvement over the direction we were going with the Bush administration, but, still being a politician - i don't trust him. He was put into a position of entering with multiple crisis in full swing, and knew that things would get worse before they got better.

All this being said - both for Obama and for Bush, after 6 months, more people thought each administration was "a success" than "a failure".

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There's a few things. The poll does not list the margin of error. Normal is 4-5%. Which makes the numbers a statistical tie. Secondly, at this point in Bush's presidency nothing much was happening. The economy was down, but not terrible. We were at relative peace. At this point it seem the Bush era was going to be farily unnotable. Contrast that with the disasters Obama is dealing with. It's more accurate to compare Obama to Bush a year ago.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's a few things. The poll does not list the margin of error. Normal is 4-5%. Which makes the numbers a statistical tie. Secondly, at this point in Bush's presidency nothing much was happening. The economy was down, but not terrible. We were at relative peace. At this point it seem the Bush era was going to be farily unnotable. Contrast that with the disasters Obama is dealing with. It's more accurate to compare Obama to Bush a year ago.

I was waiting for this. The problem is that Obama is more popular than Bush. It's just that people are beginning to wakeup to what Obama is doing that is actually harming the country. My guess is that he will increasingly be viewed as a failure the more time goes on.

New polls out show on a generic ballot, republicans are pulling ahead of democrats in a mock election even among democratic voters. Obama is truly losing support. If these trends continue, the republicans stand to pick up quite a few seats in 2010. We only hope it mirrors the 1992 elections when took back a large marjority of seats in both houses. If anything, this one-party rule is not sitting well with the American public.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was waiting for this. The problem is that Obama is more popular than Bush. It's just that people are beginning to wakeup to what Obama is doing that is actually harming the country. My guess is that he will increasingly be viewed as a failure the more time goes on.

New polls out show on a generic ballot, republicans are pulling ahead of democrats in a mock election even among democratic voters. Obama is truly losing support. If these trends continue, the republicans stand to pick up quite a few seats in 2010. We only hope it mirrors the 1992 elections when took back a large marjority of seats in both houses. If anything, this one-party rule is not sitting well with the American public.
The election if still pretty far off. If the economy turns around Reps don't stand a chance. Also, generic ballots don't have a high accuracy rate as they ask the individual to cast a pretend national ballot when in reality they case a local ballot. All politics are local. When is comes to the election someone in PA doesn't really care what Nancy Pelosi is saying.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

That is not what the polls show.
Political Party Affiliation: 30 States Blue, 4 Red in 2009 So Far

o7tmhdlhheg5rgn4k-cyhw.jpg

30 states are now solidly Democratic with 8 more leaning. Of the other 12, less than half are even leaning Republican and the largest of those has 9 votes in the Electoral College.

You are losing in Texas by 2%, how bad do you have to be to lose a place that has been voted for every single Republican President since Reagan!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lets ask the question at the end of Obama's Presidency and compare it to the end of Bush's Presidency. That will be more representative.

Bush inherited a much better economy than Obama. Obama inherited the 2nd worst economic meltdown and two wars. Hardly apples to apples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I'm curious as to what McCain would have done so radically different that would have turned houses back into magical ATM machines and put a couple Ghawar-sized oilfields under Texas and Pennsylvania.

It's one thing to bash Obama--and I'll agree his economic policies have been rather lackluster--but it's not like the Right has some shining, innovative alternative to offer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: for much of the 20th century, America lived a life in defiance of the laws of thermodynamics, using "free" energy and borrowed money. Now the bill is due.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

No it isn't. With only 6 months of an administration to review, nobody really has enough information or hindsight to make a good evaluation of this question. It was true for the 32% who called Bush a failure and it is true now for the 37% who call Obama a failure.

What the question really measures, at this point, is the level of discontent among those who did not support your presidency. Within the 95% confidence interval, the numbers are fairly close.

Upvote 0

XTE

Jun 27, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟3,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bush inherited a booming economy and no wars.

Bush inherited an economy that was already starting a downturn. Granted, it's nothing comparable to what Obama inherited, but let's at least try to refrain from revisionist history.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've said it before and I'll say it again: for much of the 20th century, America lived a life in defiance of the laws of thermodynamics, using "free" energy and borrowed money. Now the bill is due.

That may be true, but you can't pay the bill with borrowed money like Obama is trying to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bush inherited an economy that was already starting a downturn. Granted, it's nothing comparable to what Obama inherited, but let's at least try to refrain from revisionist history.

You are true, I got over zealous. Point still remains that what Bush inherited was far better than what Obama got.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed. But trying to compare the problems that Bush inherited to what Obama inherited is like comparing a rowboat to the Queen Mary.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wait till you compare the poll numbers to after the 9/11 attack when Bush's numbers skyrocketed. Using that logic, Bush is the best president ever compared to Obama being one of the worst.

Originally, my witty response to this thread was going to be wait 36 more days. But yeah, it's going to be about a year before Obama can even come close to beating Bush's approval rating. That might actually become a campaign issue come the midterm elections assuming that the Birthers run out of steam.

Upvote 0