Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Obama: Give Up Your Cell Phone and Cable TV to Buy Health Care - The Rush Limbaugh Show)

This should be no biggie for millenials. Very few of them are known to use cell phones anyways.

It is not like asking to give up an addiction or anything.

Obama is a genius to come up with this way to make ACA actually affordable, and get all the yung'uns stampeding to sign up:thumbsup:.

What's not to like?

OBAMA: I guess what I would say is, if you looked at that person's budget, and you looked at their cable bill, their telephone, their cell phone bill, it may turn out that it's just they haven't prioritized health care because right now everybody's healthy. Nobody actually wants to spend money on health insurance until they get sick.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting. I've seen at least a couple conservatives on this board make that same argument - that if people really wanted to afford health insurance, they'd be able to, by cutting out things like cable tv and expensive cell service.

But Obama says it and now it's bad?

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

Interesting. I've seen at least a couple conservatives on this board make that same argument - that if people really wanted to afford health insurance, they'd be able to, by cutting out things like cable tv and expensive cell service.

To be fair conservatives have used cable and phones as arguments to cut all sorts of benefits and food stamps .. can't say I recall them suggesting it in regards to health insurance.

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

Remember: this is only ONE RULE: If Obama does it then it is bad.

Even if it is exactly what the Republicans do every single day.

Upvote 0

technofox

Jun 12, 2007
Earth
✟17,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SolomonVII said:
Obama: Give Up Your Cell Phone and Cable TV to Buy Health Care - The Rush Limbaugh Show) This should be no biggie for millenials. Very few of them are known to use cell phones anyways. It is not like asking to give up an addiction or anything. Obama is a genius to come up with this way to make ACA actually affordable, and get all the yung'uns stampeding to sign up:thumbsup:. What's not to like?

Wow, just wow. You think he is the clever monkey with the coconut don't ya? (This is in reference to Rush)

In all seriousness healthcare is more important than the latest cellphone. To bash Obama over this, especially when the republicans have suggested the same, is ludicrous. Rush is a drug addict that wonders why he can't keep a wife and yet people continue to listen to his asinine rantings. People might as well listen to Howard Stern if they want a shock jock, at least he is actually comical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To be fair conservatives have used cable and phones as arguments to cut all sorts of benefits and food stamps .. can't say I recall them suggesting it in regards to health insurance.

It hasn't been a widespread argument and I don't recall seeing it at all on the national stage, but I have seen it around here a couple times.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It hasn't been a widespread argument and I don't recall seeing it at all on the national stage, but I have seen it around here a couple times.
It goes along with the thought that min wage earners should live together with others, up to 5 families in each apartment was the number.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The difference of course is that conservatives believe that people should give up those things if they want insurance and need to cut expenses to afford it, whereas Obama requires people to have insurance and believes they should cut expenses to afford something they may not want. Conservatives promote a concept based on liberty while Obama promotes a concept based on tyranny

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, just wow. You think he is the clever monkey with the coconut don't ya?

In all seriousness healthcare is more important than the latest cellphone. To bash Obama over this, especially when the republicans have suggested the same, is ludicrous.

Rush is a drug addict that wonders why he can't keep a wife and yet people continue to listen to his asinine rantings. People might as well listen to Howard Stern if they want a shock jock, at least he is actually comical.
Wow. Did you just compare Obama to a monkey? Can't imagine the response here had a conservative done so :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OBAMA: "I guess what I would say is, if you looked at that person's budget, and you looked at their cable bill, their telephone, their cell phone bill, it may turn out that it's just they haven't prioritized health care because right now everybody's healthy. Nobody actually wants to spend money on health insurance until they get sick."

Regardless of the controversy over Obamacare he is 100 per cent correct. People buy what they want regardless of how much or little they earn, not what they need. Healthcare is the greatest consumer need there is. While I don't fully agree with Obamacare I believe something has to be done to provide healthcare to more people. Personally, my cable tv would be the first to go if needed, followed by my cell phone. I would also opt for a cheaper phone plan. Too many are living in the la la land of glitzy toys. Even worse is the retirement crisis. The baby boomers aren't ready, in spite of having lived through the most prosperous periods in our history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The difference of course is that conservatives believe that people should give up those things if they want insurance and need to cut expenses to afford it, whereas Obama requires people to have insurance and believes they should cut expenses to afford something they may not want. Conservatives promote a concept based on liberty while Obama promotes a concept based on tyranny

Under current law, people are no more required to carry health insurance than they are required to own a house or have children.

Do you feel that you are legally required to own a house or have children or that your liberty is threatened by the current laws which incentivize owning a house and having children?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Under current law, people are no more required to carry health insurance than they are required to own a house or have children.

Do you feel that you are legally required to own a house or have children or that your liberty is threatened by the current laws which incentivize owning a house and having children?
There is no penalty imposed by the government for not owning a house or having children :wave:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Or, now that you have heard it from Obama, does that make those conservatives you had been disagreeing with seem a whole lot smarter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Wow, just wow. You think he is the clever monkey with the coconut don't ya?

Your comments must come from the Fred Phelps side of the Democratic party, I think. Just a little bit racist with that kind of comment.

In all seriousness healthcare is more important than the latest cellphone. To bash Obama over this, especially when the republicans have suggested the same, is ludicrous.
I would be more than happy if a lot of the Obama supporters give up their internet connections to CF actually.

Rush is a drug addict that wonders why he can't keep a wife and yet people continue to listen to his asinine rantings. People might as well listen to Howard Stern if they want a shock jock, at least he is actually comical.
It is nothing to me if Rush is a drug addict, or he has been divorced. This is not about Rush. It is about whether milllenials ought to be giving up their links to technology in order to afford the affordable health care that they were promised.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Remember: this is only ONE RULE: If Obama does it then it is bad.

Even if it is exactly what the Republicans do every single day.

If you think that the message to young people is to give up their cell phones or face fines is a good one to run the next election on, then I would highly encourage you to run with that.
And give it the Obama seal of approval just so as not to be accused of plagiarizing him.

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

If you think that the message to young people is to give up their cell phones or face fines is a good one to run the next election on, then I would highly encourage you to run with that.

I have NO IDEA how you got that out of my post.

I'm merely pointing out that the Right CONTINUALLY runs a war on people of lesser means by suggesting that the poor are the primary cause of their plight (so it makes it easier to slash food stamp programs) and how people need to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and "don't punish success" and all this other empty rhetoric.

Austerity is the call of the Right. The Tea Party would rather see America's credit destroyed than accept that societies often run on debt.

So when Obama suggests austerity then suddenly folks on the Right think it's the silliest thing they ever heard of!

I can only assume that the Right only values austerity when SOMEONE feels pain.

And give it the Obama seal of approval just so as not to be accused of plagiarizing him.

What on earth are you even talking about?

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

Your comments must come from the Fred Phelps side of the Democratic party, I think. Just a little bit racist with that kind of comment.

Agreed. That was pretty badly chosen set of words. Even if the poster didn't MEAN it to be racist, a LOT better phrases could have been chosen.

I would be more than happy if a lot of the Obama supporters give up their internet connections to CF actually.

It would certainly make it easier for the Right's Misinformation and Historical Revision machine to run unimpeded.

It is about whether milllenials ought to be giving up their links to technology in order to afford the affordable health care that they were promised.

I love this confusion you guys on the Right now seem to have about "what one can afford to buy" and "budgets".

LOL.

I'll have to remember all this the next time some Tea Partier on here tries to preach "fiscal responsibility uber alles"!

Sorry but the GOP and the RIght cannot spent 30 years telling us to live within our means and pointing out how horrible it is that poor people have refrigerators and THEN make fun of the Left when they suggest living within one's means for a greater good of personal health security.

Fox News:
According To FOX News If You Have A Refrigerator You're Rich! - YouTube

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a basic cell phone and it is my only phone--it costs way less than a land line. I guess I should get rid of it and have no way to call 911 if I have an ER as I would have no phone. I haven't had a cell phone through any of the main cell companies for probably 10 years, and I never will again. No contract is the way to go.

I guess that would be what the conservatives want--the poor will just die and go away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0