Trump’s election company, Cambridge Analytica filmed admitting to use of bribes and sex workers

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Oops ... did someone actually record us doing what we do to them?" files: Revealed: Trump's election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians

In an undercover investigation by Channel 4 News, the company’s chief executive Alexander Nix said the British firm secretly campaigns in elections across the world. This includes operating through a web of shadowy front companies, or by using sub-contractors.

In one exchange, when asked about digging up material on political opponents, Mr Nix said they could “send some girls around to the candidate’s house”, adding that Ukrainian girls “are very beautiful, I find that works very well”.

In another he said: “We’ll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance, we’ll have the whole thing recorded, we’ll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the Internet.”

Offering bribes to public officials is an offence under both the UK Bribery Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Cambridge Analytica operates in the UK and is registered in the United States
.​

Soon to be formerly operating in the UK and registered in the US.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brinny

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not really fair to call them Obama's or Trump's. They're basically mercs.

eh... They're decidedly right-wing:
Homepage | CA Political

They're partly owned by the Mercer family (who own Breitbart). Steve Bannon used to be on the board and, IIRC, was also an investor.

Cruz campaign paid $750,000 to ‘psychographic profiling’ company

I don't know why @NightHawkeye chose to put Obama's name in there. I can't find any evidence of CA working on an Obama campaign, and while the link in the OP doesn't work at the moment, neither its URL nor any of the teasers I've found online mention Obama. They all mention Trump alone.

Revealed: Trump’s election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians

Revealed: Trump’s election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
eh... They're decidedly right-wing:
Homepage | CA Political

They're partly owned by the Mercer family (who own Breitbart). Steve Bannon used to be on the board and, IIRC, was also an investor.

Cruz campaign paid $750,000 to ‘psychographic profiling’ company

I don't know why NHE chose to put Obama's name in there. I can't find any evidence of CA working on an Obama campaign, and while the link in the OP doesn't work at the moment, neither its URL nor any of the teasers I've found online mention Obama. They all mention Trump alone.

I thought they worked for Obama in 2012, but that was Civis.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was created in 2013, so I guess Obama used them for his magical secret election to a third term in 2016.
Not completely correct.

The British parent company, SCL, was created decades ago. Cambridge Analytics was formed by it more recently apparently specifically for detailed involvement in US elections.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So, Trump's pals are doing unethical things?

...Can we just saying I feigned surprise? I don't want to think up yet another way to sarcastically mock surprise over Trump having more dealings with shady people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alright, I'll bite. What's the relevance connecting this 5 year old news story and the current one?

payn_c15649120180320120100.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bribes and sex workers?

Dropping one word changes the whole meaning from something that reads like satire to something that could be interpreted as being serious. Did you read the article closely? They say they "could" if they wanted to, they didn't say that they did do it, which is what the title of the article in the link states.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Dropping one word changes the whole meaning from something that reads like satire to something that could be interpreted as being serious. Did you read the article closely? They say they "could" if they wanted to, they didn't say that they did do it, which is what the title of the article in the link states.

Since Cambridge Analytica admitted to some pretty bad stuff, I'm reluctant to parse the words so closely.

In another he said: “We’ll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance, we’ll have the whole thing recorded, we’ll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the Internet.”
He said: “… we just put information into the bloodstream of the internet, and then, and then watch it grow, give it a little push every now and again… like a remote control. It has to happen without anyone thinking, ‘that’s propaganda’
If anything, I tend to view the article as typical mainstream sloppy journalism. They had a 'slam dunk' conviction of Cambridge Analytica and gave people a reason to disbelieve them.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since Cambridge Analytica admitted to some pretty bad stuff, I'm reluctant to parse the words so closely.

He said: “… we just put information into the bloodstream of the internet, and then, and then watch it grow, give it a little push every now and again… like a remote control. It has to happen without anyone thinking, ‘that’s propaganda’
If anything, I tend to view the article as typical mainstream sloppy journalism. They had a 'slam dunk' conviction of Cambridge Analytica and gave people a reason to disbelieve them.

The difference in the wording of this one: Firm at center of Facebook breach caught saying sex workers, spies could be used to win elections

Cambridge Analytica execs caught suggesting sex workers, spies could be used to win elections

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Seriously?
From your article:

They started with a list that grew to a million people who had signed into the campaign Web site through Facebook. When people opted to do so, they were met with a prompt asking to grant the campaign permission to scan their Facebook friends lists, their photos and other personal information. In another prompt, the campaign asked for access to the users’ Facebook news

Upvote 0