just this side of Heaven
✟37,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When will everyone put up their tree and decorate for Christmas?

We don't put ours up the day after Thanksgiving, but I do like to have my decorations out by the first of December. I figure if I'm going to all that trouble, I want to be able to enjoy it for a while and long enough to ensure that I'm more than a little ready to take it down by New Year's Day or shortly thereafter.

Do you have a village as well as a Nativity set?

We do have a sizable Christmas village....with two churches (just being realistic). :D

Are your decorations extensive or basic?

We have more than we need, but I like a cozy winter home and Christmas is such a cheery, loving season that it's hard to not get carried away, or is that just me? :scratch:

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We do have a sizable Christmas village....with two churches (just being realistic). :D

I assume at least one of those is a Confessional Lutheran Church. :D

Other than a Nativity set that my mother gave me years ago, I don't decorate anymore.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We're debating whether we should put a tree up or not, because of the little tykes. With Jake, I never had a problem with him getting into the tree, so I'm all for it. Hubby wants the tree in the den, where no one will enjoy it. Generally, I put up the Christmas stuff after Thanksgiving, but this year Matt will have to help because of the pregnancy and he hates putting up Christmas stuff so who knows when it will actually get done!

I have an old Avon nativity set that my grandma gave me when I started selling Avon. I also have a veggie tales nativity set for the kids. I like it.

We put lights on the porch railings and the bushes and we have one of those big trees that lights up and sits in the front yard (ours sits on our front porch though). I put up window stickies and somewhere around here I have a "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" flag but I haven't been able to find it the last two years.

We hang stockings by our fireplace, too.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We put up our tree the first weekend in December...this year it will be the second weekend though.

We have a nativity that was given to us as a wedding shower gift...awesome idea, huh?? :D

I have some little penguin figurines and snowmen I like to put out and we have some other decorations I sometimes put out, but it's a lot of work and if I'm really busy, I tend to not put up a lot of stuff. If I put up too much, then I regret it later when it's time to take it all down ;)

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I think it was late Thanksgiving that my brothers and I brought down our Christmas villages (it's a long story..in short like 6 years ago my mom had like this 5-piece Christmas village..us boys thought it was the coolest thing and now we have 100 between us..no joke. It's like a mini NYC in our dining/living room!)

We usually get the tree late November/early December. We've got a bunch of different nativity sets, and many other types of indoor decorations too.

And I decorate outside; I have like 14? of those big white-frame light-up reindeer things, and I set 9 of them up with a sleigh. I have some other junk I put up outside too, but that's the main attraction.

As for taking it down..I think the final thing got put away some time mid-July. lol :D

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it was late Thanksgiving that my brothers and I brought down our Christmas villages (it's a long story..in short like 6 years ago my mom had like this 5-piece Christmas village..us boys thought it was the coolest thing and now we have 100 between us..no joke. It's like a mini NYC in our dining/living room!)

My pastor collects nativity sets...you should see his house. They're everywhere.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Just remember... don't put out your wise dudes until January 6th. :)
Our church has this big fancy made-in-Germany set; they put the Wisemen in one of the stained glass windowsills in the east transept, moving them closer and closer until Epiphany.

It's funny to see them move every Sunday!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Our church has this big fancy made-in-Germany set; they put the Wisemen in one of the stained glass windowsills in the east transept, moving them closer and closer until Epiphany.

It's funny to see them move every Sunday!

That's cool! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RadMan

Aug 22, 2007
Missouri
✟5,227.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dad got one of the first electric train sets in , I think, 1913 from grandpa. It sill works after not quite a century. I've had to fix it a couple of times, and it still runs, but I can't imagine anything electrical that has been made since then that would last a century. The paper mache train tunnel is the only thing left of the original set, other than the trains, cars, track and transformer. All the little cast iron people, terminal, coal shack and wood tender have disappeared over time.

Guess I'm getting old and sentimental but I miss Christmas from when I was a kid. Mom would make a zillion cookies for everyone and dad would make the "holiday bread". The holiday season for weeks was a round robin of visiting friends and relatives and drinking egg nog with whiskey in it. Coming home from Christmas Eve service and seeing a sky rocket taking off from behind the house and hearing mom exclaim that "santa just took of in his rocket sled". Or the time when dad climbed on top of the house and started tromping around and mom said that the reindeer were taking off.

Everyone would sit in front of the fireplace and open presents and wonder how santa lost a piece of red felt from his suit on the fireplace screen. After that we would pop pop-corn in an old fashion basket in the fire and listen to Christmas carols on the record player.

Ahh the memories. :sigh:

Upvote 0

mrshoperose

Contributor
Oct 9, 2007
Lakewood Washington
✟22,384.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We usually start decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving. We use a fake tree, and put lights up around the windows, but that is about it. Oh, and the nativity! My sister got me a cat nativity (because I love cats). Each of the characters (Mary, Joseph, etc.) is a cat dressed up. It's really cute, and I have been putting it up ever since I got it! (We sometimes put up the regular one too, we just have to find the space!) We usually take everything down in the first or second week of January.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Edial

Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When will everyone put up their tree and decorate for Christmas?
I think the better question for me would have been: "When are you taking it down?"

Some time ago I overdid it.

It's already June and the tree is still here. :eek:
I got used to it and time flies, I guess.

Each time I am passing by it, a shower of needles is cascading down.
My sister's weekly scolding became a tradition I could also live without.

Then I suddenly realized that I have a problem throwing it out.
If the neighbors see the discarded tree and associate me with it - oh, my.
What kind of a lazy bum leaves a tree for so long?

So, one dark evening I got a saw and black garbage bags.:liturgy:
I cut up and fit the tree in one large garbage bag.
Then the bag was put up by the sidewalk to be picked up tomorrow.
Mission accomplished! A perfect plan! My secret is safe!

Next morning when I went to work I passed by the bag I stopped in my tracks.

The branches pierced through the bag and were sticking out for all to see.
A testimony to the world that there are people in this world that keep trees till June.

I stared at the bag that by now looked like a porcupine for solid 10-15 seconds.
Then I whimpered something to myself in surrender and ran to catch the bus.

... I think I'll put up a tree this year. :)

Thanks,
Ed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.