Nurse removed from hospital after saying white boys ‘should be sacrificed to the wolves’

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know the story of yours is about a nurse, but similar issue. This nurse's comments were pretty hateful though, and I would worry about her being in charge of infant care if she feels this way about white babies.
I would have concerns as well.

But IMO free speech is not truly free unless it is free in every area of life.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I understand your point, I really do, but as we've seen with so many cases over the years, there is outright firing and shunning penalties when people express certain opinions on controversial issues.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

People have the right to say anything, as long as
they are willing to face the consequences. Free is
not the same as protected.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,442,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, speech is not "truly free." Never was. What gave you the idea that it ought to be?

No, you can't come into my house and say whatever you like.

No, I'm not required to let you use a medium I'm paying for as a vehicle for your speech. I don't have to let you use my megaphone, my printer, or my website.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What gave you the idea that it ought to be?
Growing up with this quote, supposedly from Voltaire:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,442,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up with this quote, supposedly from Voltaire:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

You realize, don't you, that quote has context. First, Voltaire did not say that, and it's known that he didn't--an early 1900s biographer of Voltaire wrote it. Second, the actual context of what Voltaire did write is this:

Its context was the burning of a book by a fellow French writer, to which Voltaire responded: “What a fuss about an omelette! How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that!”

So Voltaire was talking about book burning.

But even if we take that famous line seriously, my fervent belief that everyone has a right to speak freely still does not require anyone else to buy him a megaphone.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this not a violation of her free speech rights?

No. The First Amendment states quite clearly Congress shall make no law. It does not state businesses or corporations shall have no policy.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Was she factual - do white males in the usa have the highest propensity to violence, rape and domestic violence?.

The last bit she shouldn't have said. Better to just charge parents with not educating their sons better.

Now my parents work in health - both of them - you cant be dismissed for saying your mind - but you can if you state your profession or work place and then saying your mind because your linking your work/profession to a comment. if she had done that then definitely she should have thought her tweet through. She could have cited what she has observed as a nurse and left the last sentence out of it (though I have had similar thoughts at times)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. The First Amendment states quite clearly Congress shall make no law. It does not state businesses or corporations shall have no policy.
You are forgetting the words of the Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,"

The right of freedom of speech is not just in the Bill of Rights. It is universal.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,442,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,"

The right of freedom of speech is not just in the Bill of Rights. It is universal.

Jefferson wrote that, and we can't be sure who he was talking about by "their creator."

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am not forgetting about anything. The Declaration of Independence was just that, a declaration of separation from the British Crown and why. It did not articulate individual freedoms recognized as beyond the reach of government to restrict. The Bill of Rights did that.

It is universal in the context that Congress shall make no law. A private institution has the right to set guidelines for its employees, guidelines which include expressions of speech. If an employee violates those guidelines, said institution is within its rights to terminate their employment and in doing so would not be guilty of violating the employees First Amendment rights. This is High School Civics stuff.

Look up Jimmy the Greek as only one of many examples.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

What is the difference between government and
everybody else? Government can lock you up or
kill you legally. This is why they have restrictions
to limit that power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,340,525.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
By the way, it is probably best that a "nurse" saying such things around vulnerable and helpless newborns should be removed and placed in an insane asylum, since there is reason to believe that there is a suspicion of the potential of harm to vulnerable newborns.

There is clearly some mental health issues, which indicate a need for protection to those mentioned and protection for this one who is quite possibly a danger to herself and/or others.

In addition a mental health background check should've been conducted before this person was EVER allowed to be in contact with, and/or around or in the vicinity of vulnerable newborns.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is universal in the context that Congress shall make no law.
It is universal in the sense that even people in repressive regimes like Iran, China or N Korea should be allowed the same freedom. Their governments do err in outlawing free speech.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is universal in the sense that even people in repressive regimes like Iran, China or N Korea should be allowed the same freedom. Their governments do err in outlawing free speech.

Irregardless of what many in the liberal/progressive left want people to believe, the rights and protections articulated in the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution do not apply to citizens of Iran, China, or North Korea. They apply to citizens of the United States.

The issue of oppressive regimes is another topic. Here, the issue is the actions of an actual racist and the absolute right of her employer to fire her.

Upvote 0