United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nuns arrested as Beijing turns up heat on Church in Hong Kong

In May, two Chinese nuns who work at the mission were arrested by mainland authorities during a visit home to Hebei province, according to three Catholic clerics with knowledge of the matter. The nuns, in their 40s, were detained for three weeks before being released into house arrest without being charged. They are forbidden to leave the mainland, according to one of the clerics. Meanwhile, Western diplomats say, Chinese security agents have stepped up surveillance of the mission in recent months.

“We are at the bottom of the pit – there is no freedom of expression anymore … We are becoming like any other city in China.”

Cardinal Joseph Zen, the former Bishop of Hong Kong

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I didn't think conservative Evangelicals cared about Roman Catholics or even accepted them as real Christians, but they should be ashamed to whine about "religious persecution" in this country when Christians elsewhere in the world are facing actual persecution.

That would be an incorrect assumption. Acknowledging both the problems at home and abroad is okay.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christians care about all people!

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn't think conservative Evangelicals cared about Roman Catholics or even accepted them as real Christians, but they should be ashamed to whine about "religious persecution" in this country when Christians elsewhere in the world are facing actual persecution.
When I went to church . There cchurches were the only true church. I think this attitude is in all religions. Politics are a different story. Since Christians, Catholics, Mormons and other religions. That are against abortions and gay people . They seem to use each other for the Republican vote. With the exception of Islam.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
When I went to church . There cchurches were the only true church. I think this attitude is in all religions. Politics are a different story. Since Christians, Catholics, Mormons and other religions. That are against abortions and gay people . They seem to use each other for the Republican vote. With the exception of Islam.
And if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned I expect the détente arranged by Paul Weyrich between conservative Evangelicals and Catholics over the abortion issue to dissolve, and Catholics returned to the second-class status they occupied previously.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
And if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned I expect the détente arranged by Paul Weyrich between conservative Evangelicals and Catholics over the abortion issue to dissolve, and Catholics returned to the second-class status they occupied previously.

We love others as ourselves.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You misstated the facts.

People of faith who are grounded in the Word of God understand that killing babies before the have a chance to live and sexual immorality of all kinds is damaging and wrong.

Fixed it for you.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You misstated the facts.

People of faith who are grounded in the Word of God understand that killing babies before the have a chance to live and sexual immorality of all kinds is damaging and wrong.
And that Jesus hates gun control and thinks global warming is a hoax.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Non-sequitur here.

But I assume you are mocking....something. Jesus? People? Most people I know are much more nuanced than this, but sure, paint caricatures.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Non-sequitur here.

But I assume you are mocking....something. Jesus? People? Most people I know are much more nuanced than this, but sure, paint caricatures.
It certainly doesn't seem that way. Conservative Evangelicals may indeed have more nuanced opinions about things, but the impression they give to others is anything but.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Non-sequitur here.

So why are gun control and global warming Christian issues? Abortion and "out" LGBTs I can see, maybe, but why should a Christian oppose gun control and taking action on global warming? Yet that's what we hear from Trump's Christian supporters. And they cry "persecution" when they can't get their way.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You misstated the facts.

Fixed it for you.
You fixed nothing for me. Since Christian all religions are killing babies and swimming in their own sexual immorality .And trying to blame some where else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You fixed nothing for me. Since Christian all religions are killing babies and swimming in their own sexual immorality .And trying to blame some where else.
Not sure what you are saying here. Humans sin. I guess that's it. We don't change His standards because humans sin, the same as we don't stop loving our children when they violate the command we have given them. say, "Don't run out into the street". Or "Don't lie". But we do tell them the truth and why the standard is wise and for their benefit.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So why are gun control and global warming Christian issues? Abortion and "out" LGBTs I can see, maybe, but why should a Christian oppose gun control and taking action on global warming? Yet that's what we hear from Trump's Christian supporters. And they cry "persecution" when they can't get their way.
I cannot answer your question. The Bible addresses neither gun control nor global warming directly. One could argue tangentially in the broadest sort of principles, that not harming others nor their property is addressed.

But normal people who are functional would not be shooting people or intentionally polluting the earth in the first place.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Ask God for help. Then you might be given understanding that:

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ask God for help. Then you might be given understanding that:

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Which is why Christians spent hundreds of years killing each other to prove whom the "True Christians" are.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Which is why Christians spent hundreds of years killing each other to prove whom the "True Christians" are.

Do you have the authority or spiritual insight to say who killed a Christian or that the person who died was a Christian?

Upvote 0