Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
And would the people who saw him with all his man bits hanging out there sin in doing so? If so, that would have been leading the people into sin. Does God do that?

Did Michelangelo sin when he sculpted a nude King David?
Is that "inappropriate content?"
Would it have been inappropriate content if he was depicted with a large erection?
I've noted statues with coverings on nasty bits. Doesn't that promote illicit thinking?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've noted statues with coverings on nasty bits. Doesn't that promote illicit thinking?

Only when you think of them as "nasty bits".

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It probably depends on the individual.

I have seen video clips of middle age and older women seeing statues like David where they are out in the public venue going up and getting rather "handy" with those exposed male parts.

But those who promote nudity say that covering up those bits make them more enticing to lust and sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only when you think of them as "nasty bits".
Indeed. If God made us male and female (with those "bits" differentiating us) and HE called it "very good," (Gen 1.31) then those "bits" should never be seen as nasty. They are part of what made creation "very good."

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. If God made us male and female (with those "bits" differentiating us) and HE called it "very good," (Gen 1.31) then those "bits" should never be seen as nasty. They are part of what made creation "very good."
Unfortunately every good thing can be used for evil.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately every good thing can be used for evil.
So which do we do: focus on the good - and glorify God in it; or focus on the evil - and glorify the devil?

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
So which do we do: focus on the good - and glorify God in it; or focus on the evil - and glorify the devil?
Most focus on the things they don't like so they can tear down others trying to make themselves important or good. The pharisees did this to the max.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most focus on the things they don't like so they can tear down others trying to make themselves important or good. The pharisees did this to the max.
Yeah, at least some of them did. (Pharisees were not monolithic)

But a lot of modern day Christian legalists want to do that too. The longer I walk with the Lord the more I do not like legalism.

Note: legalism and obedience are NOT the same thing.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of Pharisees, I had a very earthshaking shift in perspective over 20 years ago when God instructed me and my wife to go learn about Judaism at a local synagogue.

It had to do with the nature of what constitutes "sin." One of the categories of SIN in Pharasaic/Rabbinic Judaism is to NOT enjoy the pleasures God has put in your path. That was so in conflict with our Holiness background which stated that enjoying anything was probably sinful.

Rabbi Shub explained it this way: If you give your child a gift for Chanukkah or a birthday, you want them to enjoy playing with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of Pharisees, I had a very earthshaking shift in perspective over 20 years ago when God instructed me and my wife to go learn about Judaism at a local synagogue.

It had to do with the nature of what constitutes "sin." One of the categories of SIN in Pharasaic/Rabbinic Judaism is to NOT enjoy the pleasures God has put in your path. That was so in conflict with our Holiness background which stated that enjoying anything was probably sinful.

Rabbi Shub explained it this way: If you give your child a gift for Chanukkah or a birthday, you want them to enjoy playing with it.
This was the unspoken attitude I was raised with. No wonder so many are turned off by religious (for lack of a better communicative expression) activity.

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
It probably depends on the individual.

I have seen video clips of middle age and older women seeing statues like David where they are out in the public venue going up and getting rather "handy" with those exposed male parts.

But those who promote nudity say that covering up those bits make them more enticing to lust and sin.
People! are interesting critters.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting thing about the 'stumbling' based arguments. Contextually they always speak of causing a weaker brother or a child to stumble. However, they seem to mostly be asserted by people who consider themselves strong in the faith. I have never had a week person or a non Christian "stumble" over someone being a nudist (assuming they are doing so in a proper place, not on the city streets). It seems to be the "strong warriors of the faith" who stumble over this one. The only people questioning the salvation of nudists seem to be those who should know it is not their place to question such things.
How can what is discussed here cause anyone to stumble? Each is here by choice.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

But a lot of modern day Christian legalists want to do that too. The longer I walk with the Lord the more I do not like legalism.

Depends. Not taking about underwear either. ;)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good question, I guess. Some will answer it affirmative either way.
Perhaps you are right.
But why would a person who claims to be a Christian want to glorify the devil?

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Great reason to become a hermit.

bugkiller

Reactions: Sheep dog
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Every thing was wrong except work and church. No room for pleasure when I grew up.

bugkiller

• Agree
Reactions: Sheep dog
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Interesting thing about the 'stumbling' based arguments. Contextually they always speak of causing a weaker brother or a child to stumble. However, they seem to mostly be asserted by people who consider themselves strong in the faith. I have never had a week person or a non Christian "stumble" over someone being a nudist (assuming they are doing so in a proper place, not on the city streets). It seems to be the "strong warriors of the faith" who stumble over this one. The only people questioning the salvation of nudists seem to be those who should know it is not their place to question such things.

The strong don't stumble, they tell you it's wrong and why.

Actually it is our place as part of the status quo, to question
those crossing the lines. Either to let them know why such
things are wrong, or to find out why they should be permitted.
There is no excuse for public nudity for adults or most children.

Upvote 0