lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I'm finishing up my drawing classes this quarter (hopefully). I finally had a male model to draw from. What was great was that the model was not fit and trim. He was overweight, with a rather large tummy. I have never enjoyed drawing a model like this one. Finally a model with curves instead of some skinny girl who is "perfect."

It was so much fun!

Upvote 0

danielh41

Sep 29, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
✟7,625.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm finishing up my drawing classes this quarter (hopefully). I finally had a male model to draw from. What was great was that the model was not fit and trim. He was overweight, with a rather large tummy. I have never enjoyed drawing a model like this one. Finally a model with curves instead of some skinny girl who is "perfect."

It was so much fun!

I modeled for quite a few classes this semester. I'm not overweight (or at least, not by much), but I do hear a lot of compliments from students about drawing me. In at least one of the classes, I was their only male model. That class had 25 students and an instructor who fostered a very friendly yet professional environment. I know that the students had fun drawing, and I had fun modeling for them. In fact, I wouldn't model if I didn't have fun at it...

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I modeled for quite a few classes this semester. I'm not overweight (or at least, not by much), but I do hear a lot of compliments from students about drawing me. In at least one of the classes, I was their only male model. That class had 25 students and an instructor who fostered a very friendly yet professional environment. I know that the students had fun drawing, and I had fun modeling for them. In fact, I wouldn't model if I didn't have fun at it...

Thats cool! I see nothing wrong with it. I prefer to wear a bikini or SOMETHING but who knows one day I might go ALL IN!!! LOL!

Upvote 0

SashaDusty

Spade of Ace
Jan 31, 2012
USA - Colorado
✟7,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nude does not have to mean immodest. If the model is clearly in a sexual position then yes, she/he's being immoral. But if the model makes an effort to be demure I see no issues.

Yes, it's hard to deny it might be embarassing or lustful or rude comments may be made, but it's up to the art student and model to keep themselves in the mindset of art instead of lust.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't find nude modeling an immodest act. In fact, I have great respect for people who do nude modeling. It lets us artists discover ourselves scientifically. I know it's an excruciating job, so I want to promptly thank those who do nude modeling for us artists.

I am an art student and I have great passion for drawing nude models. It's really fun and I like how I discover something new about the body every day.

Upvote 0

MarenM2

Mar 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a wife, a mother to 3 wonderful boys, and a christian. I have been a nude model since I was 19 years old. I grew up in a conservative baptist family, I was a freshmen in college when I decided to do nude modeling for art classes, artists and photo shoots. I am 28 years old now and being a mother I model less but every once in awhile I still model when I am hired to do so. I believe the nude body is beautiful.

Upvote 0

danielh41

Sep 29, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
✟7,625.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I started a blog about six weeks ago about my 27 years as an art model. I don't have enough posts here at this site to be able to post links, but here is a post I made about a month ago regarding my Christian beliefs...

A Christian Model

I am a Christian and have been since I was in the third grade (although there have been periods where I didn't live like it). I am also a nude model and have been for the past 27 years. A lot of people in the Christian faith, and especially in my church, may find the two to be incompatible, but they are not. Of course, I go to a Baptist church, the same denomination that runs Baylor University. In 1993, the art department at Baylor was forbidden by the board of regents to use nude models. As far as I know, that ban is still in effect.

This attitude that nudity somehow equals sex or that viewing a nude body will lead someone into lust is a lie. Our bodies were made in the image and likeness of God; therefore, our bodies, in and of themselves, are good and wholesome, clothed or unclothed. It was Adam and Eve who tried to cover themselves after their fall, not God. Why would God want to cover His own image? And once God expelled Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden, He gave them animal skins to use to protect themselves from the now sometimes harsh environment outside the Garden (and by killing the animals for their skins, He gave Adam and Eve their first taste of the wages of sin, death).

Nudity, even public nudity, was never condemned as sinful in the Bible. In fact, God commanded the prophet Isaiah to go naked throughout the land for three years. ...at that time the LORD spoke by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, “Go, and loose the sackcloth from your waist and take off your sandals from your feet,” and he did so, walking naked and barefoot. Then the LORD said, “As my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot for three years as a sign and a portent against Egypt and Cush... (Isaiah 20:2-3 ESV). Apparently, Isaiah wasn't the only one who received such a commandment. Look at King Saul in 1 Samuel 19:24 (ESV): And he too stripped off his clothes, and he too prophesied before Samuel and lay naked all that day and all that night. Thus it is said, “Is Saul also among the prophets?” Judging from the people's reaction, prophesying and public nudity seemed to go hand-in-hand in Old Testament times. Would God command someone to do something that was sinful? I think not.

Jesus Himself was crucified naked. The Bible says that Roman soldiers cast lots for His clothes, and the historical records tells us that it was a standard practice of the Romans to crucify prisoners naked. Personally, I find it interesting that before mankind's original sin, man was naked, and that the One who redeemed us from sin did so while naked.

When I step onto a modeling platform in a life drawing class and drop the robe, I am both humbling myself and practicing the most extreme kind of modesty. Whenever I read the word modesty in the Bible, I have to define it, based on contextual clues, as avoiding the practice of putting on adornment (braiding of hair, putting on of gold jewelry, etc.) to show off one's stature, as if one were boasting. Today's parallel would be the wearing of expensive designer clothes, displaying expensive jewelry, or any other way in which people dress to show how well off they are, either socially or financially. 1 Peter 3:3-4 (ESV) says Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. What then could be more modest than removing everything that might, in someone's eyes, elevate my own status? Isn't that what being humble is all about? Wasn't Christ showing true humility when he allowed himself to be stripped naked and hung on a cross to die for our sins when none of us deserved it?

When I'm on the model stand nude, I am pure. I am there just as God created me, with nothing artifical. Most life drawing rooms have a skeleton available both for drawing and for study, and I am always fascinated whenever I look at one. The structure of the shoulders, with the clavicles in front and scapulas in back, seems impossibly complex when you also consider the muscle structure that has to be involved to make the bone structure work. And the pelvis is a wonder, with its complex shape, the way that it supports the internal organs above it and how the rounded tops of the femurs fit inside to make the hip joints which enable us to walk. The human body truly is God's greatest creation and is worthy of artistic study. In fact, I can't think of a subject in creation more worthy. It is, after all, made in that image of God. I love allowing art students to study my body, to draw the shape of my spine, the curve of my hip without the interuption of a waistband or any other apparel.

As a Christian, I desire to be transparent. I want to be the same person in the art class that I am at church or at my full-time job or in my home as a husband and father. I don't want to misrepresent myself in any way. I haven't been extremely vocal in recent years about my modeling, but I don't want to deny to anyone what I do. When people hear that I was once a contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, their natural inclination is to ask to see a video. I can usually point them to my Facebook page or to the Youtube video (just to a search on Youtube for the keywords "Regis," "Millionaire," and "nude" to find it). Of course, Regis made a big deal about my part time nude modeling job. Since the show was taped in 2001, long before my wife and I joined our current church, people there tend to assume that I stopped modeling some time ago. Before starting this blog, I tended to let them keep assuming such things.

I volunteer in my church nursery every Sunday morning. I've always had a natural affinity for babies, and on more than one occasion, I've been called The Baby Whisperer. The job, if it could even be called a job, suits me, and I love doing it. But that also makes me a "church leader." I do have concerns about losing that position as a result of this blog post and people realizing that I am still very active in modeling for art classes, and if that happens, then so be it. I am going to be the same Dan Hawkins, Christian, husband, father, IT technician, and art model, in public and in private, no matter where I am.

Upvote 0

danielh41

Sep 29, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
✟7,625.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a wife, a mother to 3 wonderful boys, and a christian. I have been a nude model since I was 19 years old. I grew up in a conservative baptist family, I was a freshmen in college when I decided to do nude modeling for art classes, artists and photo shoots. I am 28 years old now and being a mother I model less but every once in awhile I still model when I am hired to do so. I believe the nude body is beautiful.

Always nice to meet a fellow Christian model. I have a blog which details some of the experiences I have had. This site won't allow me to post a link or to send a private message. But you can find the blog by going to artmodellog.blogspot.com.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Flowerandthevine

Jun 19, 2011
Austin
✟15,760.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know much about art. It seems though that most nude paintings/statues are
attractive young women or men. You don't see a painting of an 80 year old
man in his struggle to take a shower bent over picking up a bar of soap
with his shriveled testicals and butt flower front and center.

If the human body is a work of art that includes the rectum oh and maybe the armpit
but you see reproductive organs and mammary glands instead.

Just a thought lol.

Upvote 0

danielh41

Sep 29, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
✟7,625.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't know much about art. It seems though that most nude paintings/statues are
attractive young women or men. You don't see a painting of an 80 year old
man in his struggle to take a shower bent over picking up a bar of soap
with his shriveled testicals and butt flower front and center.

If the human body is a work of art that includes the rectum oh and maybe the armpit
but you see reproductive organs and mammary glands instead.

Just a thought lol.

I'm 45 years old, so I wouldn't be classified as one of those "attractive young women or men." I'm also a guy, so most poses I do tend to leave my "reproductive organs" visible, because they are there where they can be seen in most positions. Female models' "mammary glands" are also present and visible in most positions. I've done poses with an arm over my head which have left my armpit exposed. Drawings of these poses can be quite beautiful. There aren't any poses which leave one's rectum exposed since that is an internal organ; however, there are rare occasions when my anus has been exposed (i.e. a fetal position). I have done these poses when asked, and it's not a big deal. The entire human body was made by God in His image and likeness.

I plan on posing for a long time, so one of these days I will be that nude 80-year-old man that you mentioned. And if you'd like to see paintings of people who don't fall into the society-defined category of "attractive young women or men," try googling Lucian Freud.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NeedGodsHelp

Jul 30, 2012
Ohio
✟7,780.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was a student in a class with a live model and I don't remember even talking to our model. After a while she ceased to be anything more than a prop for us. I know it sounds cold but I barely even noticed she was a person. It was the same as drawing a vase.

yes i imagine after awhile you cease to even think of anything but your art.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe I could draw a picture of Adam and Eve with the apple tree and serpent. I could have their private parts covered by foliage. The apple tree would be very pretty with both blossoms and fruit. I like the idea of Eve with long blond or red hair with apple blossoms in it.

Upvote 0