Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend sent me THIS article. I found it very encouraging, hope you do too.

THE BRAIN OF AN ELDERLY PERSON.

The director of the George Washington University College of Medicine argues that the brain of an elderly person is much more plastic than is commonly believed. At this age, the interaction of the right and left hemispheres of the brain becomes harmonious, which expands our creative possibilities. That is why among people over 60 you can find many personalities who have just started their creative activities.

Of course, the brain is no longer as fast as it was in youth. However, it wins in flexibility. That is why, with age, we are more likely to make the right decisions and are less exposed to negative emotions. The peak of human intellectual activity occurs at about 70 years old, when the brain begins to work at full strength.

Over time, the amount of myelin in the brain increases, a substance that facilitates the rapid passage of signals between neurons. Due to this, intellectual abilities are increased by 300% compared to the average.

And the peak of active production of this substance falls on 60-80 years of age. Also interesting is the fact that after 60 years, a person can use 2 hemispheres at the same time. This allows you to solve much more complex problems.

Professor Monchi Uri from the University of Montreal believes that the brain of an elderly person chooses the least energy-intensive path, cutting unnecessary and leaving only the right options for solving the problem. A study was conducted in which different age groups took part. Young people were confused a lot when passing the tests, while those over 60 made the right decisions.

Now let's look at the features of the brain at the age of 60-80. They are really rosy.

FEATURES OF THE BRAIN OF AN ELDERLY PERSON.

1. The neurons of the brain do not die off, as everyone around them says. Connections between them simply disappear if a person does not engage in mental work.

2. Absent-mindedness and forgetfulness appear due to an overabundance of information. Therefore, you do not need to focus your whole life on unnecessary trifles.

3. Beginning at the age of 60, a person, when making decisions, uses not one hemisphere at the same time, like young people, but both.

4. Conclusion: if a person leads a healthy lifestyle, moves, has a feasible physical activity and has full mental activity, intellectual abilities DO NOT decrease with age, but only GROW, reaching a peak by the age of 80-90 years.

So don't be afraid of old age. Strive to develop intellectually. Learn new crafts, make music, learn to play musical instruments, paint pictures! Dance! Take an interest in life, meet and communicate with friends, make plans for the future, travel as best you can. Don't forget to go to shops, cafes, concerts. Do not lock yourself alone - it is destructive for any person. Live with the thought: all the good things are still ahead of me!

A large study in the United States found that:

The most productive age of a person is from 60 to 70 years;
The 2nd most productive human stage is the age from 70 to 80 years old;
3rd most productive stage - 50 and 60 years old.
Before that, the person has not yet reached his peak.
The average age of the Nobel Prize laureates is 62;
The average age of the presidents of the 100 largest companies in the world is 63 years;
The average age of pastors in the 100 largest churches in the United States is 71;
The average age of dads is 76 years.
This confirms that a person's best and most productive years are between 60 and 80 years of age.
This study was published by a team of doctors and psychologists in the NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE.
They found that at 60 you reach the peak of your emotional and mental potential, and this continues until you are 80.
Therefore, if you are 60, 70 or 80 years old, you are at the best level of your life.

* SOURCE: New England Journal of Medicine *.!

Ann Alvord

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Common sense tells most of us that this is true. How long have people been telling us to use it, or lose it. Everybody must realise that! There is also nothing in the bible, which suggests that we should retire at all. Retirement is man's thinking, not God's thinking!

My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
(Psalm 73:26)

God still gives me strength at 69 years old, even after a serious stroke. Why should I give up, He is still my strength and my portion for ever. Bless God and keep on going until He calls me home! Every day is a gift from God, live it to the full, that's why He gave it!

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's not my car keys I have trouble finding - it's my hearing aids!!

I'm a bit careless about where I put them, and the colour doesn't stand out much, so they're easy to mislay.

I've been wearing them since I was about six years of age, and that was 61 years ago, so I take them for granted.

But other than that my brain functions pretty well, I play Masters field hockey, go to a gym, get music lessons, attend a U3A class etc.

I think health is important though. My last job was in community transport, which often involved taking people to hospitals and medical centres. I saw a lot of people who had significant health issues who were younger (and older) than I was.

Life for some of them was quite difficult because of ill health in one form or another.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not my car keys I have trouble finding - it's my hearing aids!!
I can relate, I also wear hearing aids and lose them periodically. Now if they are laying wrong, my wife can hear the feedback and my new aids actually have a location ability through a smart phone. However, all that tells me is they are somewhere in the house...I already knew that. And your right the longer one can keep their health the better and exercising your brain is important. BTW I looked up "U3A", I've never heard of them before, sounds like fun.

Upvote 0

Hoping

Regaining My Faith :)
Mar 8, 2022
USA, Southeast
✟10,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm kind of scatterbrained, so I keep my car and house keys ALWAYS in my right pocket, and my tiny emergency cell phone in the left. I check them often and don't let myself go out of the house without them. I think this shows another benefit of getting older--we know what our weaknesses are and have found ways to compensate.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some years ago I was at a local shopping centre. But when I got back to the car there was a woman sitting in the passenger seat!

I did a double take! Then I realised it was the wrong vehicle - it was an identical model to mine, and the very same colour.

So I apologised. She just laughed.

I stood up, and lo and behold, here's her husband trying to get into my car about three parking spots away and wondering why the remote wouldn't work!:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And right to do so! That's mine since 2013 but I have sort of lost her for now - she's in store in England and I'm in Australia ....
:(:(
Hope you get her soon, before you get to old to drive her,:)

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They're in your hand:)

I've done that from time to time. "Where's the keys?" and I've already had them in my hand.

I came very close to losing one complete set of car keys a couple of weeks ago. I'd come home and before I went inside I pulled a few weeds from a tomato garden. I threw them in the "Green Bin" (rubbish bin the local council picks up for lawn and garden waste).

Then I went inside. But over the next few days I wondered where the car keys were. I looked everywhere, even places I knew where they wouldn't be. On a hunch I eventually looked in the "green bin" only the day before we would have put it on the footpath for pickup, and lo and behold after I'd dug around a bit, there were the keys! They'd slipped out of my hand when I dropped the weeds in.

Another day and they'd have been gone for good!:swoon:

Upvote 0