• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Now electric vehicles are BAD for the environment

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Aldebaran, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+9,471
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Just as the environmentalists and government people really start ramping up their efforts to make us switch from gasoline engined vehicles to electric, it's now revealed that they're bad for the planet as well.

"The EU is pumping billions into promoting electric vehicles (EVs) – 200 million are expected to be on the road by 2028. But EVs are not as green as they are portrayed: their production consumes vast amounts of cobalt, nickel, manganese and rare earths that are mined in the rainforests of Africa, Southeast Asia and South America."

Electric vehicles are stealth rainforest killers!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Amongst the Joshua Trees Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,388
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh man. I really want to protect the rainforest, especially in South America, because the monkeys, pink River dolphins, manatees, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+9,471
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Well, no electric vehicle then. Certainly no gas powered one. A bicycle perhaps?

4. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+5,184
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    My main transport atm is bicycle. Not really bad, it's great exercise, even cured me of hypertension and avoided diabetes which runs in the family.

It's not just electric vehicles but the whole modern semiconductor industry is bad for the environment.

5. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+9,123
    Protestant
    Married
    This isn't new though. The production of products are also part and parcel of their environmental credentials. I had heard this argument before, specifically to do with platinum and hydrogen cars. Also, the electricity needs to be generated somewhere, so introducing electric cars to countries with largely fossil fuel based grids will worsen the car-based emmissions - and likely require expansion of those grids with their concomittent extra environmental effect.

The real way to decrease emmissions is austerity, which is essentially what you are doing when you rather walk or take a bike. You can't expect that you can just continue our current lifestyle and just substituting one thing for another that it will magically solve the issue. Alternately you could actively do geo-engineering with whatever unforseen consequences those will have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. timewerx

+5,184
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    To produce an almost "green" motorized transport, the vehicle should drop as much electronic features it could.

And develop an engine that works on "negative entropy". Scientists, especially quantum physicists knows its possible, just its association with "perpetual motion" makes it taboo in scientific circles.

We have plenty of "unspoken" rules in this world. Until we can finally break free from them, we will continue doing absurdly stupid things.

7. timewerx

+5,184
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Ironic. Cycling is an enjoyable form of transport, plenty, even the rich have taken to cycling during Covid pandemic not as a matter of austerity but as sense of accomplishment (going from pt A to pt B under your own power) with a hugely positive impact on one's physical health.

Electric bikes have become popular as well and obviously has far smaller environmental footprint than electric cars.

8. Sunshinee777

Sunshinee777 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,966
    Finland
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Who is surprised?:D Lol. I love these scientists.

9. Gene2memE

Gene2memE Newbie

+4,666
    Atheist
    Private
    This is nothing new or startling to EV advocates, policy makers or environmentalists.

The issue of life cycle environmental costs for EVs vs ICEs has been debated since the 1990s, at least.

IIRC life cycle emissions costs for an EV is about 60% that of a ICE vehicle. That figure only gets better as we transition to renewables for electricity generation.

10. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+11,634
    Atheist
    Single
    Really? Please give an example of "negative entropy". Just wishing that something was true does not make it so.

And as to the OP, yes electric vehicles are not perfect. They will have a negative impact on the ecology. The problem is that fossil fuels appear to have a larger negative impact. They are far greener than gasoline or diesel powered vehicles just as they are greener than coal powered vehicles.

11. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,785
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Every human activity has some kind of negative as well as a positive. The question is net benefit. I'll be delighted when EV's become the norm. I live near a highway and it can be very noisy when the wind blows in a certain direction. When the hoons drive near silent cars, I won't mind a bit.

Ev's are not rainforest killers. It's the governments that sacrifice forests for short term gain. This process was underway decades before EV's became a reasonable mode of transport. I'd have an EV any day.

One day I will have a bumper sticker that reads: "Government health warning. Being alive is hazardous to your health".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. IWalkAlone

IWalkAlone Well-Known Member

+299
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Buys electric car and charges it on fossil fuel.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+3,351
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    Which is still better than powering it with gasoline. A centralized fossil fuel electric generator is much more efficient than an ICE.

14. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,743
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yes, and the possibility of transition to various renewables is open, whereas with ICE its closed.

15. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,743
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yes a bicycle.
    It healthy and fun. And quite viable for many kinds of trips, tho in the USA we've dug ourselves a deep hole by designing every single thing around the automobile.

16. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Amongst the Joshua Trees Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,388
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I often wonder what it would have been like if horses were still the main mode of transportation. In some California cities, like Compton, it's not uncommon to see people riding horses in the city.

oakImage-1527006794213-superJumbo.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2018-03-29-at-19.07.09.jpeg.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,743
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Interesting. I cant quite see it for most people, considering how many would be required in city density. And I think horses require waaaay more care than a bike.

18. Landon Caeli

+4,388
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The city would likely smell quite different. :|

19. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,743
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
  20. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Return to horseback ("I shoulda been a cowboy" by Toby Keith plays)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. Landon Caeli

+4,388
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others