Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Returning to the Universalis Website, today, I found this:

‘On Saturdays in Ordinary Time when there is no obligatory memorial, an optional memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary is allowed.
Saturdays stand out among those days dedicated to the Virgin Mary. These are designated as memorials of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This memorial derives from Carolingian times (9th century), but the reasons for having chosen Saturday for its observance are unknown. While many explanations of this choice have been advanced, none is completely satisfactory from the point of view of the history of popular piety.
‘Whatever its historical origins may be, today the memorial rightly emphasizes certain values to which contemporary spirituality is more sensitive. It is a remembrance of the maternal example and discipleship of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, strengthened by faith and hope, on that “great Saturday” on which Our Lord lay in the tomb, was the only one of the disciples to hold vigil in expectation of the Lord’s resurrection. It is a prelude and introduction to the celebration of Sunday, the weekly memorial of the Resurrection of Christ. It is a sign that the Virgin Mary is continuously present and operative in the life of the Church.’
How lovely! Today, however, being the last day before Advent begins, it seems good to Listen with our Mother to what the Lord is saying to us on the final day of this year. Mary, Mother of the Church, By the power of God’s work in You, help us to grow in holiness.

First reading - (Apocalypse 22:1-7) - The Lord God will shine on them; it will never be night again

The angel showed me, John, the river of life, rising from the throne of God and of the Lamb and flowing crystal-clear down the middle of the city street. On either side of the river were the trees of life, which bear twelve crops of fruit in a year, one in each month, and the leaves of which are the cure for the pagans.

The ban will be lifted. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in its place in the city; his servants will worship him, they will see him face to face, and his name will be written on their foreheads. It will never be night again and they will not need lamplight or sunlight, because the Lord God will be shining on them. They will reign for ever and ever.
The angel said to me, ‘All that you have written is sure and will come true: the Lord God who gives the spirit to the prophets has sent his angel to reveal to his servants what is soon to take place. Very soon now, I shall be with you again.’ Happy are those who treasure the prophetic message of this book.

Responsorial Psalm 94(95):1-7- Marana tha! Come, Lord Jesus!

Come, ring out our joy to the Lord; hail the rock who saves us. Let us come before Him, giving thanks, with songs let us hail the Lord. A mighty God is the Lord, a great king above all gods. In His hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are His. To Him belongs the sea, for He made it and the dry land shaped by His hands. Come in; let us bow and bend low; let us kneel before the God who made us: for He is our God and we the people who belong to His pasture, the flock that is led by His hand.

Gospel Acclamation (Mt 24:42,44) - Stay awake and stand ready, because you do not know the hour when the Son of Man is coming.
Or: Lk21:36 - Stay awake, praying at all times for the strength to stand with confidence before the Son of Man.

Gospel (Lk 21:34-36)- “That day will be sprung on you suddenly, like a trap.”

Jesus said to His disciples: ‘Watch yourselves, or your hearts will be coarsened
with debauchery and drunkenness and the cares of life, and that day will be sprung on you suddenly, like a trap. For it will come down on every living man on the face of the earth. Stay awake, praying at all times for the strength to survive all that is going to happen, and to stand with confidence before the Son of Man.’
Come Holy Spirit, fill us as you filled Mary with Jesus, our Way, our Truth and our LIFE. Amen.

PS - Blessed Advent Season to All. I'm taking time off this Advent for a time of much needed Prayer. Please may we all pray for one another and for all those in most need of God's Mercy! Gratefully in Jesus through Mary, MariaChristi

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Returning to the Universalis Website, today, I found this:

How lovely! Today, however, being the last day before Advent begins, it seems good to Listen with our Mother to what the Lord is saying to us on the final day of this year. Mary, Mother of the Church, By the power of God’s work in You, help us to grow in holiness.

Come Holy Spirit, fill us as you filled Mary with Jesus, our Way, our Truth and our LIFE. Amen.

PS - Blessed Advent Season to All. I'm taking time off this Advent for a time of much needed Prayer. Please may we all pray for one another and for all those in most need of God's Mercy! Gratefully in Jesus through Mary, MariaChristi
Prayers for you Maria!

• Prayers
Reactions: MariaChristi
Upvote 0