Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sadly, some people see no difference between say, taking down a statue of Hitler or Pol Pot, and revisionist history.
By this line of thinking, I guess we should eliminate the Saints, since a lot of them did some horrible things before living a life of grace through God. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm glad to see the college making an effort to acknowledge the darker side of Columbus.

Excerpt from the article:

The priest then declared that for natives of the Americas “Columbus’s arrival was nothing short of a catastrophe.”

"Whatever else Columbus’s arrival brought, for these peoples it led to exploitation, expropriation of land, repression of vibrant cultures, enslavement, and new diseases causing epidemics that killed millions.”

Jenkins quoted a 1987 meeting of St. John Paul II with the native peoples of the Americas, in which the pope said the encounter “was a harsh and painful reality for your peoples. The cultural oppression, the injustices, the disruption of your way of life and of your traditional societies must be acknowledged.”

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, some people see no difference between say, taking down a statue of Hitler or Pol Pot, and revisionist history.
By this line of thinking, I guess we should eliminate the Saints, since a lot of them did some horrible things before living a life of grace through God. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the sins committed by the Church in the past against Indigenous People. Pope Francis also made a concentrated effort to apologize for these sins.

Pope Francis Apologizes to Indigenous Peoples for ‘Grave Sins’ of Colonialism

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the sins committed by the Church in the past against Indigenous People. Pope Francis also made a concentrated effort to apologize for these sins.

Pope Francis Apologizes to Indigenous Peoples for ‘Grave Sins’ of Colonialism
I agree that settlers did awful things to the peoples who lived in the USA before the colonists arrived. I was surprised to learn that Tenochtitlan was larger than London in the Middle Ages, so there was obviously culture and society here, not just a bunch of 'savages' as some historians would have us believe.
But it's not the fault of Columbus that future settlers and explorers acted the way they did towards those already living here.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that settlers did awful things to the peoples who lived in the USA before the colonists arrived. I was surprised to learn that Tenochtitlan was larger than London in the Middle Ages, so there was obviously culture and society here, not just a bunch of 'savages' as some historians would have us believe.
But it's not the fault of Columbus that future settlers and explorers acted the way they did towards those already living here.

I'm not going to further debate Columbus since this is a Catholic forum and not a debate forum. I'm going to post a couple of articles from an historical and Indigenous point of view and leave it at that.

Christopher Columbus: Setting the Record Straight

Columbus from the Native American Perspective: What Have We Learned in 500 Years?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good video. I just caught 'Adam Ruins Everything' for the first time the other day channel flipping.
There is some bleeped out language near the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums