Notre Dame president rejects inappropriate content ban while student approve filter

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Countless students at the University of Notre Dame and the Catholic University of America asked their administrations to block inappropriate contentography from the campus internet system.

Continued below.
Notre Dame Pres. Rejects inappropriate content Ban, While Students Approve Filter at Catholic University of America | ChurchPOP

• Agree
Reactions: Silverback

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't think of a single reason why a supposed Christian university wouldn't want to ban inappropriate contentography or make it harder to access. There is no educational value to it and it serves as a distraction morally and from one's studies.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't think of a single reason why a supposed Christian university wouldn't want to ban inappropriate contentography or make it harder to access. There is no educational value to it and it serves as a distraction morally and from one's studies.

It's just another sign of the moral decay of America.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I see the Church as the guiding light for humanity. When that light becomes more dim we see what we have.

Just going from experience, but in many places truth isn't preached and taught, so we have generations that have not been formed by the faith.

I am in the Midwest, and every bar and restaurant has a Friday Fish fry. Hundreds of thousands (or more??) of people go out for Friday Fish fry - but they have no idea why. It's from a time when the Church had influence on people and we had meatless Fridays because of it.

That same influence is hard to find today.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to think the opposite. There are those within the Church that have been polluted by the world. But the unchangable teachings of the Church is still there to be found by anyone that cares to see.
I see the Church as the guiding light for humanity. When that light becomes more dim we see what we have.

Just going from experience, but in many places truth isn't preached and taught, so we have generations that have not been formed by the faith.

I am in the Midwest, and every bar and restaurant has a Friday Fish fry. Hundreds of thousands (or more??) of people go out for Friday Fish fry - but they have no idea why. It's from a time when the Church had influence on people and we had meatless Fridays because of it.

That same influence is hard to find today.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes the teachings are still there - but they are like textbooks that are not used - nobody gets much smarter.

When you see the numbers that Catholics approve of abortion, use contraception, and divorce all at pretty much the same rates as the rest of society, the proof is in the pudding.

I guess we may see things in a different light, but I'm not looking to debate. I just know that until the problems are actually faced, they won't go away.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might need to look for another parish. I find your posts quite alarmist and even with the complaints I have, there has never been an issue of where a priest stands on pro-life issues, etc. this is not your non-denom/ Baptist Church where the sermon is based on what was seen on Fox news the previous week. It is not going to be like the last Church you affiliated with. You are not going to be able to pull strings like a lot us converts did in the past if we chose to do so. You are not there to control and get others on your comfort level. You are there to grow and learn. You either agree with what the Church teaches or you don't. That's what matters. Not these constant complaints of others not doing things as you see fit. I know. It's tough. How others practice their faith is frankly none of your business until you see the shepherds preaching heresy. Looks at it as growing pains and a lesson in humilty.
Yes the teachings are still there - but they are like textbooks that are not used - nobody gets much smarter.

When you see the numbers that Catholics approve of abortion, use contraception, and divorce all at pretty much the same rates as the rest of society, the proof is in the pudding.

I guess we may see things in a different light, but I'm not looking to debate. I just know that until the problems are actually faced, they won't go away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand on one hand what you are saying. But how will we ever improve. I guess I believe many of the reports from Church Militant and the Remnant and others - they are alarmist because there is something to be alarmed about.

Fulton Sheen said it would be up to the laity to remind the priests to be priests, and bishops to be bishops - he could see this coming.

I think the problem is that people are not more alarmed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I made myself clear. It's one thing to stand up for the truth and another concerning yourself with how others practice that truth. You really need to concentrate on the beauty of the faith and stop the constant criticizing. If you are not happy with your parish, find one you feel more comfortable in. The Church really is not falling apart. There are a lot of good people within Her. She's been here 2000 years and will be here long after that. Concentrate on that for you and your family in your personal faith walk.
I understand on one hand what you are saying. But how will we ever improve. I guess I believe many of the reports from Church Militant and the Remnant and others - they are alarmist because there is something to be alarmed about.

Fulton Sheen said it would be up to the laity to remind the priests to be priests, and bishops to be bishops - he could see this coming.

I think the problem is that people are not more alarmed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0