Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Woman claims she can spot silhouette of Jesus Christ in Notre Dame cathedral flames

Link
I wonder how long until someone photoshops "Ecco Mono" into the flames.

Knowing the internet, it's already going viral.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Woman claims she can spot silhouette of Jesus Christ in Notre Dame cathedral flames

Link

Makes a change from the usual appearances in different varieties of junk food I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,664.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im sure French Christians [or whatever religion they may belong to] would reject that they are indifferent spiritually.

What evidence do you have that
a) the restoration was poorly funded
b) that short cuts were taken
c) that the country has a spiritual indifference that resulting in under funding

You know most people are simply saddened by the damage to the church, but being wisely restrained as to its cause - WHY? - Because no-one knows the cause at this stage?

Still - a notorious criminal turned author was quoted as saying 'never let facts get in the way of a good story'.

The fact is that the funding has been lacking for years. The state as the owner of the property has paid only enough for relatively minor repairs. it is great that people are giving now but if they had given earlier the situation that led to the fire may never have happened in the first place.

Notre Dame fundraiser laments that surge in donations didn't come sooner

More funding means better management of the project completed over a shorter time. But there are a lot of old churches out there where the health and safety risks are not properly managed regardless of owner. in this case the state is responsible for the poor risk management and the underfunding.

The church to me is the people and fine art and beautiful buildings only glorify God if the Christian faith is there to fill the otherwise empty symbols and spaces. if the faith is not there they are just idols, so if people are giving from a motive to glorify God with their sacrifices then I am sure God will bless the church they build. A secular crusade means nothing and comes to nothing in the long term. Some atheist politician like Macron hiding his offices culpability for the fire with a grand gesture designed to make himself look good and hide the years of neglect for which he is ultimately responsible does not impress me much.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
D4snVS4WAAE8gX3.jpg

reported on Twitter, credible ?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not quite ?

From that link:

This map comes from the christianophobie.fr, a website dedicated to tracking acts of “Christianophobia” in France and the rest of the world. While this image is often shared as if it shows all of the churches that were “destroyed” in France, this map actually documents a wide range of nefarious activity, such as vandalism, theft, and arson, that occurred at both churches and cemeteries over an apparent span of two years (not four), covering 2017 and 2018.

It should also be noted that while this map does document some relatively serious crimes, such as arson or the toppling of church statues, many of these pins correspond to graffiti-related incidents. We also found one pin related to a person’s simply interrupting a church service.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not quite ?

From that link:

This map comes from the christianophobie.fr, a website dedicated to tracking acts of “Christianophobia” in France and the rest of the world. While this image is often shared as if it shows all of the churches that were “destroyed” in France, this map actually documents a wide range of nefarious activity, such as vandalism, theft, and arson, that occurred at both churches and cemeteries over an apparent span of two years (not four), covering 2017 and 2018.

It should also be noted that while this map does document some relatively serious crimes, such as arson or the toppling of church statues, many of these pins correspond to graffiti-related incidents. We also found one pin related to a person’s simply interrupting a church service.
Oh no, grafitti and interrupting a church service.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
yes, those were two of the 1000+ events
You should work on your reading comprehension. They weren't two of the 1000+ events, but a large part of them. And even the more despiccable acts didn't amount to the "destruction" of churches in almost every case. I don't think there's a real statistical breakdown of how many of the events were simple grafitti, how many were small defacements or fires and how many really threatened buildings or people, but I think it's safe to say that the latter category is the vast majority. The statement that every marker on that map corresponds to a "destroyed church" is simply untrue.

I think that any attack on places of worship is despiccable and should be punished, but taking a bit of grafitti and calling it a destroyed church just undermines ones' position.

Sadly I don't understand french, so I can't go into any more detail, but you are free to do your own research. Free web translators are a thing. Or you can continue to put your trust into people who distort the facts for their own narrative. Your choice.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there's a real statistical breakdown of how many of the events were simple grafitti, how many were small defacements or fires and how many really threatened buildings or people, but I think it's safe to say that the latter category is the vast majority.
yes, "threats to buildings or people" were the "vast majority" of the incidents

i'm under that impression, agree with that sentence entirely

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
yes, "threats to buildings or people" were the "vast majority" of the incidents

i'm under that impression, agree with that sentence entirely
Typo, I meant the former. It's been a short night.

Upvote 0