• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SimplyMe, Apr 15, 2019.

1. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,462
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    It's strange to me reading the "it's just a building" responses. Got a couple in my FB feed too.

Not every building is "just a building".

If my house burnt down, that would be tragic, if only to me and my family. But still, more than just a building.

If Fort Edmonton burnt down, (open air museum of early Edmonto nwhere I live) I'd be a bit bummed with that too; even though it's all replica and rebuild.

If a church with a 1000 year history burns down, that's a lot lost there....

2. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+505
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    How’s about we await the cause of the blaze without casting aspersions?

3. RickardoHolmes

RickardoHolmes Member

+115
    Christian
    Married
    I am so saddened by this tragedy. As one person said, "Paris without Notre Dame is not Paris. "
    MY son is really upset as well. Like myself, he has an aesthetic streak and the damage or loss of something so beautiful is beyond devastating.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+2,973
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+2,973
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    Thats such a moronic statement to make.
    Perhaps you need to keep abreast of information before allowing you lips to flap - It appears the renovation works may be the cause but at this point its too early to tell..... still dont let me stop your irrational rant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  6. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+2,973
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    I'm curious - was there no fire-suppression eg sprinklers installed? I would have thought a building admitting so many people would have mandatorily had such equipment.

7. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well, it's the middle of the month. Maybe one of the workers got paid. And got so excited. they just threw down their cigarettes and left their power tools on. Which ultimately overheated sparked the fire and caused the wooden scaffolding? 2. Start on fire??? Or something like that.

8. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well, he may have been responding to a link I supply. It is the case that this "accident happens to have occurred in the context of a long string. Of non accidental. Incidents of vandalism. Someone else posted the link originally on Twitter and I just thought I'd share. It was news to me, I had no idea there had been a recent string of attacks on churches throughout France. Just sharing something important if tangentially related :)

9. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+1,513
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    This post was not a response to events in Notre Dame but rather to the general trend of attacks against churches and especially the symbols they house in France. The physical cause of the Paris fire looks like builders negligence but has yet to be established. It is the spiritual cause that led to the physical. The spiritual indifference of the French and its government meant that the project was chronically underfunded and it looks like short cuts were taken with basic health and safety requirements. It is a sad contrast to the days when France believed in the God this art and these symbols reached for. Without God of course they are just idols and perhaps the iconoclastic fury of those flames was appropriate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+2,973
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    What garbage. There's zero evidence of feminism involved in the attacks on these churches. There is equally a belief that Catholic Churches were attacked in response to the rampant historical paedophilia continuing to be uncovered - The fact is no-one knows why there was a spate of attacks on French Catholic churches regardless of what people are espousing.

You should your research your facts and stop spreading anti-[insert rant dislike]

The Notredame is owned by the state NOT the church and thus it will direct funds toward monuments according to its funding priorities like any responsible government should.

What has the religious status trends across France got to do with this fire

... oh wait - Lets see your trying to say that the French deserved this and that a fire was appropriate because you have judged the french wanting spiritually.

Some how you believe that is a worthy christian statement.

11. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+1,513
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    When a person reads through excrement coated glasses that might distort their answers. I proposed 3 groups known for iconoclastic tendencies who might have been interested in attacking Catholic churches: Protestant ( of whom there are not enough and definitely not enough angry ones in France), feminists ( who as the post to which I am responding might be suggested to demonstrate get angry at the drop of a hat) and Muslims for whom the icons and art are often seen as idolatrous.

The sacrifices and willingness to fund a thing of beauty for the glory of God were missing here.

There is a strong connection between the spiritual indifference of the French and the lack of funding for this project which may have contributed to short cuts being taken with secure practices and resulted in the fire itself

• List
  12. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Notre Dame
    Maurice Prendergast, 1907
    [​IMG]

13. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
    Childe Hassam, 1888
    [​IMG]

14. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The bravery of firemen and the genius of vaulted ceilings saved Notre Dame. The stone probably prevented most of the fire from entering the interior. Only the outer timber could burn.
    [​IMG]

• List
  15. Dave Ellis

Dave Ellis Contributor

+777
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    CA-Conservatives
    Nonsense. I disbelieve in all gods equally, I just debate more with Christians as I tend to be around them a lot more, and their beliefs impact the society far more than any other group.

If I lived in India, I'd be far more interested in arguing Hinduism

16. MyOwnSockPuppet

MyOwnSockPuppet Regeneration of myself after computer failure

+226
    Atheist
    Married
    It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a Monument Historique (equivalent to the Australian National Heritage List) - after having seen the sheer bureaucratic nightmare of somewhere I worked trying to comply with accessibility laws while retaining their (frankly dangerous to the able-bodied) equivalently listed 150-year-old front staircase I'm not at all surprised that there wasn't.

17. MyOwnSockPuppet

MyOwnSockPuppet Regeneration of myself after computer failure

+226
    Atheist
    Married
    But then we'd have to admit that we don't know, and in not knowing we wouldn't be able to use it as a one-size-beats-all stick for whichever out-group the conspiracy theorists favour this week.

18. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+2,973
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    Im sure French Christians [or whatever religion they may belong to] would reject that they are indifferent spiritually.

What evidence do you have that
    a) the restoration was poorly funded
    b) that short cuts were taken
    c) that the country has a spiritual indifference that resulting in under funding

You know most people are simply saddened by the damage to the church, but being wisely restrained as to its cause - WHY? - Because no-one knows the cause at this stage?

Still - a notorious criminal turned author was quoted as saying 'never let facts get in the way of a good story'.

19. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  20. friendl

friendl New Member

+14
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Greens
    Woman claims she can spot silhouette of Jesus Christ in Notre Dame cathedral flames

Link