• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SimplyMe, Apr 15, 2019.

1. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+1,193
    Christian
    Married
    • Prayers Prayers x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+3,461
    Atheist
    Married
    Terrible. I heard on the news it might be related to renovation work.

But I think the Hunchback knocked over some lit candles. You know how clumsy they are.

3. That Guy 11200

That Guy 11200 Newbie

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    It's always linked to maintenance work, when these historical places burn down. Do these firms not turn off their equipment when they leave at the end of the day?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    terribly ironic timing, given it's Lent and Easter

5. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,063
    Mormon
    Single
    It may even be something like "they overloaded something and it finally gave".

6. jardiniere

jardiniere Well-Known Member

+332
    Pantheist
    How terrible and tragic. Notre Dame is a world treasure of human achievement.

7. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,231
    Christian
    I'm glad I saw it last year and had a chance to explore the interior. Now, it is time to rebuild and remember what was lost.

8. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+1,777
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    Most times it starts while they are working on it. A spark or open flame (for example, while welding) can result in a very quickly spreading fire.

9. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+454
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
  10. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+6,047
    Atheist
    Single
    It is very sad. An iconic structure may be gone forever. Watching on the news the interior appears to be absolutely gutted. At this point I am doubting if even the exterior can survive.

11. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+803
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
  12. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,348
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    • List
  13. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+5,708
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
  14. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+1,513
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Apparently they managed to rescue a lot of the treasures from the fire. But obviously various art work on stain glass windows etc is going to be lost. This is an 850 year old church and despite WW1, WW2 and even the French revolution it has never been burnt down before. There is something deeply spiritually significant about a state owned church dedicated to the Virgin Mary burning down just before a major speech by Emmanuel Macron which was meant to save his hide. Instead the vision of the heart of Paris burning down is what we see on the TVs tonight.

• List
  15. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. mindlight

+1,513
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    One thing that we can say about these attacks on churches is that they are characterised by iconoclastic fury. That is something one usually associates with Protestants in the Christian world, so destroying stautues of saints and burning down cathedrals for the worship of Mary would fit them well. Except in FRance there are not that many Protestants and the ones I have met are not like that.

So that leaves two main groups - atheistic feminist types who attack the church as a symbol of patriarchial authority (which your article mentioned) and Muslims who also have an iconoclastic fury about icons, paintings and statues and regard them as idolatrous.

• List
  17. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+5,708
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Deleted due to irrelevance.

18. Erik Nelson

+851
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I fear one must be very careful with the word "atheist". I fear that the term atheist is generally quite Deceptive. In theory, Atheists would reject all gods, but in practice. only focused against the god of Christianity. Not necessarily irreligious completely. Or. Maybe, better to say "spiritual". I may be confused on this, but that's the way it looks to me.

19. mindlight

+1,513
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    I was referring to a particular group of feminists who do not believe in God and who regard many of the symbols employed by the Catholic church as symbols of a patriarchy they believe should be overthrown. Even within this group of course there is a diversity with some advocating radical violence and others not, some as absolute nihilists on all organised religions but happy to embrace witchcraft and nature religions and indeed some as liberal Christians with a strong view of male oppression institutionalised in church symbols. Though of course the burning of a church dedicated to the "Queen of heaven" and "Mother of God" does not really fit the feminist agenda however self deceived.

20. Nithavela

Nithavela Buy more eggs

+9,379
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Disney is really going overboard with its real life remakes.