Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Such a tragedy. Fortunately we are hearing some good news today. While bad, the damage was not as bad as it could have been.

Hopefully, some of the art and relics survived.

Upvote 0

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully, some of the art and relics survived.
They managed to evacuate some, and I heard there were others that had been removed already to be prepared for Easter, so those also survived.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Well, I'm sure that the building was a beautiful structure, but for born again believers we are to worship the Creator and not the created. If it's gone, then it's gone and personally I'd just raze the structure and build something else. A much smaller and less ornate place of worship would be fine with me. A place where God is sought for and glorified and not where the works of men are sought for and glorified.

To me, it seems sad that a place built for some grand house of God, in actuality, was merely a tourist beacon for millions of people to come through and look at all the pretty doodads and such that were created by the hands of men.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi all,

Well, I'm sure that the building was a beautiful structure, but for born again believers we are to worship the Creator and not the created. If it's gone, then it's gone and personally I'd just raze the structure and build something else. A much smaller and less ornate place of worship would be fine with me. A place where God is sought for and glorified and not where the works of men are sought for and glorified.

To me, it seems sad that a place built for some grand house of God, in actuality, was merely a tourist beacon for millions of people to come through and look at all the pretty doodads and such that were created by the hands of men.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
But you forget, Ted, that there were religious services at the Cathedral every day of the week. Yes, some people came to see a pretty building, but many came to worship God.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you forget, Ted, that there were religious services at the Cathedral every day of the week. Yes, some people came to see a pretty building, but many came to worship God.

Hi archivist,

Right! And those people will still be able to do that in a simple house of worship built to replace it.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi archivist,

Right! And those people will still be able to do that in a simple house of worship built to replace it.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Perhaps. I never visited or worshiped at Notre Dame, but I did worship at cathedrals in Germany and have to say that there is something moving about being surrounded by the stained glass, the woodwork, the statutes and the feel of centuries of history. I’m not saying you have to have that—the most amazing place I ever worshiped was a clearing in Glacier National Park—but some people find that the feeling of history enhances the worship experience. Not everyone wants a simple house of worship.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would care less if the place had been a McDon*lds. The place was built by hand of natural materials and took 200 years to build plus additions and repairs including the replacement of the spire torn down during the French revolution because the faces upon it were mistaken for royalty instead of apostles. People, including myself went there to see the place out of amazement for the craftsmanship and respect for the same. Many other ancient buildings in and around Paris would have been greater losses than the roof of this one. Most could care less about the motives behind it's construction by misguided humans anxious to build their own kingdom in earth. The faux craftsmen of today happily will have their machines and gadgets to do what ingenuity once did. Not many people marvel at today's short lived monstrosities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Been watching the live coverage. Now the roof collapse into the church. So sad, I may not be catholic but I appreciate good architecture and the fact its a world famous landmark. Well to be fair I would never want any place of worship (no matter the religion) to burn down. I don't know if they will be able to restore it at this rate. If they do it will not be the same.

I agree. Some of the world's most beautiful buildings are cathedrals. Not only their architecture but also a lot of murals and other decorations make them irresistible. I only wish I could get better pictures because the lightingi s bad in those sanctuaries.

My older sister visited the Notre Dame Cathedral during a trip to France (mostly Paris) and Monaco. Since she came back, I have wanted to go there. I told Mom NDC is near the top of things I want to see in Paris along with Versailles and Arch de Triomph). Now it looks like that dream has literally died.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I nearly cried when I saw this on the TV in my university's cafeteria. I can't believe this happened during holy week.

Obviously there is no good time for this to happen, but the fact this is Holy Week makes it worse. I'm just glad it did not happen on Friday when people were supposed to be in it for a service.

Upvote 0