London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but the only admission charged is to the bell tower observation deck. Most people wander about free of charge.

Yes the church admission is free but the hotels and restaurants that the tourists frequent are not. Notre Dame pulled in an estimated 12 million tourists to Paris last year. The state knows it gets the money back from what they spend and the tax on their purchases. This is the major reason why the Cathedral will also be restored quickly after the fire has done its work rather than the glory of God. Such is the state of France right now.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
They managed to save a lot from inside of the Cathedral?

The statues and relics were saved from what I know. Apparently they were not in the church as they had been removed for the duration of the renovations.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They managed to save a lot from inside of the Cathedral?
Most of it was removed for the renovations, from relics to copper statues. A few relics placed out for Easter were removed when the fire started. Only one irreplaceable bell is in danger at the moment.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A little part of me died reading this. They are now saying the entire wooden interior is destroyed, hopefully they can get the rest saved before it is a total loss.

I just heard this too. Very sad day. I am guessing the roof was destroyed, if it's anything like most cathedrals I have seen, it's all wood.

Apparrently the wind was making firefighting efforts harder.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIcholas Delesalle a Notre Dame priest seems to be the source for the saving of the art works that matter to him e.g. the crown of thorns and holy sacraments. From twitter

Une bonne nouvelle : toutes les œuvres d’art ont été sauvées. Le trésor de la cathédrale est intact, la couronne d’épines, les saints sacrements. #NOTRE_DAME

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a sickening world we live in. The burning of Notre Dame is a tragedy for the entire world. I do hope that they saved the art, but the building itself was priceless.

This is not a one-time deal. In 2018 the National Museum of Brazil burned down. That fire destroyed countless relics from art, archaeology, and history. Items that were truly irreplaceable.

This generation of people is surely the most self-centered and irresponsible group of humans that have ever lived. Even during WW2 - in the middle of a major world war - the German Army and the Allies took great pains to make sure that Notre Dame was not harmed. And now ... it just burns down. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just heard this too. Very sad day. I am guessing the roof was destroyed, if it's anything like most cathedrals I have seen, it's all wood.

Apparrently the wind was making firefighting efforts harder.

The Cathedral is designed to be airy, so lots of Oxygen to fan the flames. My understanding is that the Firefighters have sacrificed the roof and spire to try and save the walls but right now it is even possible the whole thing might collapse

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tony Ramirez
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 2 towers look solid

The North tower is on fire. Here in Germany there are cathedral towers that survived world war two despite saturation bombing by the allies so these can be very strong. Apparently the quality of the stone and building techniques are factors.

Upvote 0